What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!!

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!!
Author: Message:
Exca

Not illiteral, just ignoring you

36 / Male / –
RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!!
'Contactpersonen' could also be 'contacten' (contacts in english). As we are not talking about a mechanical device, everybody knows it's about the persons in your list, which makes it a smaller word without a double meaning. Microsoft likes to write 'Contactpersonen' because they got plenty of space, but we must be realistic as we are limited. We must be creative, though clear. I really believe if we bundle our Dutch power we can bring up good alternatives :)

'contact log viewer program' -> 'contactlogboek projector'

viewer program -> weergave -> weergever = projector (beter nederlands)

see?

This post was edited on 05-28-2006 at 06:49 PM by Exca.
But that is my opinion!

[Image: djexcaround.gif]
05-28-2006 06:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!!
"contacten" could work, but I personally think it sounds a bit dodgy.

And "contactlogboek projector" just sounds plain weird. Do not forget the Dutch translation is used by both people from Belgium and Netherlands. "Contactlogboek projector" may be acceptable for Belgium, but I can assure you 80% from the people from the Netherlands have no idea what you're talking about.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
05-28-2006 06:53 PM
Exca

36 / Male / –
RE: RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!!
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
"contacten" could work, but I personally think it sounds a bit dodgy.

And "contactlogboek projector" just sounds plain weird. Do not forget the Dutch translation is used by both people from Belgium and Netherlands. "Contactlogboek projector" may be acceptable for Belgium, but I can assure you 80% from the people from the Netherlands have no idea what you're talking about.

Theoreticly 'projector' (beamer in english) means 'weergever' (displayer in english) for both countries. I don't know for holland, but will they think they have to buy the device instead of double-clicking? Guess not... Even stronger, in Holland the language-usage is even more strict than in Belgium... and i'm belgian... so it doesn't sound weird to me. The 'contacten' thing is discussable. Though in every cellphone they use Contacten, which are also connections, and there sure are as many cellphone-users as plus! users.

It's not because it's different, it's bad. It's just a habit falling apart that's all. Like MSN that is going to be WLM in a couple of weeks. People still don't believe it's going to change, and they think it sounds weird as well. But lets see in a year how many people still think it sounds weird, and who still uses the word MSN. People make habits fast, especially on computers.

This post was edited on 05-28-2006 at 07:12 PM by Exca.
But that is my opinion!

05-28-2006 07:05 PM
Fanta

<fun stuff goes here>

44 / Female / Flag
'contactlogboek projector' sounds extremely Dodgy to me. (yes, capitalised to put empasys on it :P)

To make it even more complicated, a lot of English words have found their way into Dutch. Just to point out, Viewer is Dutch as well:

U hebt gezocht op viewer:

RESULTAAT (maximaal 20 woorden)

vie·wer (de ~ (m.), ~s)
1 optisch toestelletje om dia's e.d. te bekijken

Source: www.vandale.nl  I'd say they can be trusted ;)

"contact logviewer" zou technisch gezien dus een mogelijkheid zijn.
[Image: fantaclub7fz.gif]

05-28-2006 07:12 PM
Exca

36 / Male / –
pro·jec·tor (de ~ (m.), ~en/~s)
1 toestel om een positieve afbeelding op een scherm te projecteren

:refuck:

No but i know what you mean. (Weird northernneighbours :dodgy:):d

This post was edited on 05-28-2006 at 07:38 PM by Exca.
But that is my opinion!

05-28-2006 07:33 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Cookie, we need you, save us from the angry Dutchman!!!
[SERIOUSLY GETTING OFF TOPIC]

blah, I knew there would be a discussion about this, hence why I tried to avoid it by saying "it isn't the best example".

quote:
Originally posted by Exca
'Contactpersonen' could also be 'contacten' (contacts in english). As we are not talking about a mechanical device
What I gave as an example was just that: an example... Moreover, "contacten" is used in some places where there is no dispute over what it could mean.

quote:
everybody knows it's about the persons in your list, which makes it a smaller word without a double meaning. Microsoft likes to write 'Contactpersonen' because they got plenty of space, but we must be realistic as we are limited. We must be creative, though clear. I really believe if we bundle our Dutch power we can bring up good alternatives :)
Believe me when I say that there are no alternatives for some stuff.

We had these discussions years ago too where people suggested all kinds of dodgy, twisted, even invented words. Used one 'alternative' in one sentence and another 'alternative' in another sentence. To me that's just a plain quick dirty and messy translation.

quote:
'contact log viewer program' -> 'contactlogboek projector'

viewer program -> weergave -> weergever = projector (beter nederlands)

see?
That is in fact far worse Dutch; and not a translation at all. A "projector" is not a "viewer" in the context of a logbook viewer. You make a very common mistake in seeking words which translated back to English are the same word again, but without taking in account the many differences in meanings and contexts and the changes that the meaning of the word undergoes when double translating.

Even in English a 'viewer' can mean many different things.

A "viewer", as translated from the Dutch "projector", is not a program to view something with, but it is a beamer.

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
"Contactlogboek projector" may be acceptable for Belgium, but I can assure you 80% from the people from the Netherlands have no idea what you're talking about.
Even in Belgium it is plain wrong and would seem it came straight from online translator, and not even a good one.

quote:
I don't know for holland, but will they think they have to buy the device instead of double-clicking? Guess not...
That's tbh, a very stupid reason to use that word. It is not because the letters form the same word when you do a double translation without any concearn of the meaning (English > Dutch > English), that you can use the word.

quote:
Even stronger, in Holland the language-usage is even more strict than in Belgium...
Not true. They follow exactly the same grammatical rules, exactly the same spelling rules, etc. It is exactly the same language and exactly evenly strict. The only difference is between the frequency of the use of certain words (and the accent when speaking the language).

quote:
Originally posted by Fanta
To make it even more complicated, a lot of English words have found their way into Dutch.
Which doesn't always mean they have the same meaning:
quote:
Originally posted by Fanta
Just to point out, Viewer is Dutch as well:

RESULTAAT (maximaal 20 woorden)
vie·wer (de ~ (m.), ~s)
1 optisch toestelletje om dia's e.d. te bekijken

Source: www.vandale.nl  I'd say they can be trusted ;)
"contact logviewer" zou technisch gezien dus een mogelijkheid zijn.
Nope, it isn't a possible because the Dutch word "viewer" means something entirly different than the English "viewer".

quote:
It's just a habit falling apart that's all. Like MSN that is going to be WLM in a couple of weeks. People still don't believe it's going to change, and they think it sounds weird as well. But lets see in a year how many people still think it sounds weird, and who still uses the word MSN. People make habits fast, especially on computers.

This isn't about "how it sounds" and certainly not about getting used to it. This is about translating and not inventing some twisted around meanings of words, using very localized words, doing double translations (en => nl => en), using very old words which don't exist anymore while there is a perfect good Dutch translation for it (old discussions with Servine, ring a bell?), and/or making a messy thing where sentences often don't even "sound" right for both Belgium and The Netherlands, let alone that some sentences don't say what is meant or explain what the control exactly does.

Which is exactly why I started (took over) the translation some years ago. I do not intend to go back there.

[/SERIOUSLY GETTING OFF TOPIC]

This post was edited on 07-19-2008 at 08:25 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-28-2006 08:59 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Fanta

<fun stuff goes here>

44 / Female / Flag
You're not seriously getting off topic, we all were. I mostly was poking fun at 'contactlogboek projector' 

but in all seriousness, if you have trouble with finding suitable words for some parts, brainstorming about it with more dutchies might be an option as together we might find something that fits, I think everyone here is merely saying that they wouldn't mind helping you out at times.
[Image: fantaclub7fz.gif]

05-29-2006 12:17 AM
Sypher

36 / Male / Flag
*Bumps this topic*

Where did the Dutch language file hid himself?
Messenger Plus Beta Tester
Plus! Live Faq Maintainer
06-23-2006 04:39 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: