What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » The open/closed window notifier feature

Pages: (26): « First « 20 21 22 23 [ 24 ] 25 26 » Last »
The open/closed window notifier feature
Author: Message:
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
I understand where Cookie is coming from. I would want the name change aswell. Otherwise you will get many, many people coming in posting that it doesn't work.

If it was "session notifier", it would be better. It can still be used as a 'open/closed notifier', since it still has the functions.

Cookie has good intentions. Does it really matter what it is going to be called? As long as you guys get what you want, you should be happy.

I for one reckon the name should be changed with notes all over the plugin stating that it is not reliable at all as a window open/close notifier etc etc.
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
07-22-2006 09:55 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Keikonium

35 / Male / Flag
*sneaks in to give my 2 cents*

I have read the last 2 pages, and thats it. About cookie's anology and such. So I don't have a complete understanding about whats been going on in this thread. Now with that said...

Someone is making a session notifier? Cool stuff. I found that the StuffPlug WON/WCN was fairly accurate, altho did notify me when no window was actually opened. It didn't ruin my experience, or cause me to go all noob on anyone however and demand a 100% working notifier ^o). I knew it just wasn't possible, and I was fine with what I had.

I liked the feature, and the coder did their best on something that was/is next to impossible to have working 100%. I didn't mind one bit. As long as it worked some of the time, I was happy.

I am glad a notifier is being developed. As long as it works even a little bit, its good in my opinion. I can't toss any precentages on this sort of thing because like alot of people have said... its not accurate.

But who cares if its not accurate? Don't use it if you don't want to. Its not bundled and integrated into messenger, so no one would be forcing you :). Besides, soooooo many people want it weither its accurate or not. So the way I see it, is make the darn thing, have it at least notify correctly to the best of your ability, and make some people happy. Whats to lose? So it doesn't work 100%, big deal. Windows doesn't ALWAYS work 100% of the time, but it still does what its meant to for the most part.

This shouldn't be compared to real life situations (like cars, and science) because this is just some code to execute some half working function. It makes people happy and content they have their little notifications back, and I am SURE they wouldn't mind a bunch of false notifications if it at least worked a bit ;).

Thats just my 2 cents on this, and I hope others can see it this way. Its never going to be 100% working unless microsoft decideds to change their program to allow it. So for now we can "guesstimate" on a contact opening a window, and be content. If its a real notification, great! If not, what do you have to lose other than a split second of your life seeing the notification :P.

*sneaks away quietly*
>_>
<_<
Now Playing:
[image not working] [Image: 87cc21b0.png]
07-22-2006 10:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ecion

37 / Male / –
quote:
It is explantions like that which are WRONG...
I like how you couldnt back that up. Just a one line reply. Those explanations are correct, it is how I, and many others, are able to benifit from such applications/addons. I suggest you go try it out before slating it. Cheers.

quote:
yeah sure, and that is a working car*? don't make me laugh...
again another one liner? Obviously you see I'm right then? As the car does start when you want it to. (does always show when a window is opened). I dont feel the need to keep repeating myself. If you cant understand these analogies, then I suggest you stop trying to use them.

quote:
FFS, start reading my stuff for what it stands instead. I never said I'm against this...
First of all, "FFS" getting to swearing are we? I thought you were suppose to be one of the more sensible around here? But anyway back to the quote: So you're telling me you're not against this? then why are you constantly attacking people in this thread, and telling them it doesnt work, when infact many, many users know how to use it properly.

quote:
They will not be able to use it as a reliable window notifier. Even you yourself state this in your "rules". It is NOT working as a window notifier and it is not a window notifier.
My rules say it cant be used as a notifier in the way it is presented. You need to understand its limitations to use it as a true window open notifier.

quote:
Again read my freaking posts, for your information (but apparently you don't hold 'information' very highly) I actually help in developping such a SESSION notifier...
How can you say i dont hold "information" highly? As you are bring no information into this discussion. See my previous quotes where you blurt out a statement with nothing to back it up. Probably because it cant be backed up.
And you say you're helping? How so? You just seem to be moaning about its name, time and time again, and claiming it doesn't work.

and as for what you aimed at AmbulanceX
quote:
Sure it can.... now go buy that car and use it as your own car...
I agree with you there. However you are both on the lines of the wrong analogy. As the car DOES always start when you want it to. But also when you dont want it to.

If you reply to this, please try and put in some facts with ways of backing it up, rather than just your ignorant opinions. :)

This post was edited on 07-22-2006 at 10:52 AM by ecion.
[Image: ecion_megane_sig2.jpg]
07-22-2006 10:50 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
quote:
Originally posted by ecion
quote:
It is explantions like that which are WRONG...
I like how you couldnt back that up. Just a one line reply.
Oh brother... What do you think all my posts are about? Or do you need yet another half page long post explaning it in detail?

quote:
again another one liner? Obviously you see I'm right then? As the car does start when you want it to. (does always show when a window is opened). I dont feel the need to keep repeating myself. If you cant understand these analogies, then I suggest you stop trying to use them.
ecion, you obviously have some issue trying to understand posts. Or rather, did you even read posts properly at all? I very strongly begin to doubt that...

quote:
First of all, "FFS" getting to swearing are we? I thought you were suppose to be one of the more sensible around here?
Not around stupid people who persist in stating inaccurate stuff when the accurate explantion is given more than hundreds times already.

TBH, I even bet you don't even know what I'm talking about when I say that this issue has been dealt with on several messenger related forums years ago... So stop being the script-kiddy like dude.

quote:
But anyway back to the quote: So you're telling me you're not against this? then why are you constantly attacking people in this thread, and telling them it doesnt work, when infact many, many users know how to use it properly.
1) I attack people like you, not people who have constructive things to say or do like nx01rules.
2) You can not use it properly as a window notifier. Stop being arse-stupid and do some research on the protocol and do some research on statistics if you persist in stating that.

quote:
How can you say i dont hold "information" highly? As you are bring no information into this discussion. See my previous quotes where you blurt out a statement with nothing to back it up. Probably because it cant be backed up.
Probably because I'm sick an tired of replying to stuff like that when I already have replied to such stuff more times than needed before.

"Oh oh.. he replies with a one-liner... I'm therefore right"... Sure, sure budy... now reread all my posts in this thread. As a matter of fact your analogies have been replied to in detail even before you stated them, as they were already stated before. Again proof that you don't read jack-shit (or at least don't understand what is been said).

quote:
As the car DOES always start when you want it to. But also when you dont want it to.
You're so missing the point it gets rediculus...

quote:
If you reply to this, please try and put in some facts with ways of backing it up, rather than just your ignorant opinions.
Read the facts in all my previous posts...  and for your information, they are not opinions. Maybe you should also look up the difference between an opinion and a fact.

PS: I wouldn't even be surprised that you also still claim that block checkers work (block checkers which can be perfectly compared with window notifiers, as block checkers will also "always" inform the user when he is blocked besides the fact that they also report many false reports)....

PS2: and before YOU reply with "you constantly continue this, stop it", note that this discussion was once more ended several posts ago (and I had no intention to post further, unless it was to a question from nx01rules), until you came along and needed to start it all over again. As long as people reply with stuff like you, I always will reply with the stuff I have already said before...

This post was edited on 07-22-2006 at 01:29 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-22-2006 01:02 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
Everyone, as cookierevised (a senior and very knowledgable plus member) has already said.

The open/closed window notifier feature doesn't work. The way in which messenger communicates to microsoft has changed. It doesn't send "window opened" anymore. Any script/program that tells you when a window is opened is inaccurate.

How can you be notified of a new window being opened if microsoft don't send you this information?

It is magic? Who knows. The fact is the information isn't being sent and hence you cannot figure it out.
Segosa is newb.
07-22-2006 01:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
If you reply to this, please try and put in some facts with ways of backing it up, rather than just your ignorant opinions.
CookieRevised might come off as ignorant at times but he is extremely helpful in these forums giving a vast knowledge base.  He is right 99.9999999% of the time (if not more than that).  If you had half the sense of Cookie then you would accept what he says as the truth because I am sure that he has done some research into the area that he talks about.  And you yourself should not be so ignorant towards him because he does know his stuff and he does try to help people understand for themselves but obviously he doesn't please everyone with the way he does it.  Read the facts from many forums and websites before coming back here and telling Cookie he is wrong (I'm sure you will find the same thing elsewhere).
[Image: markee.png]
07-22-2006 01:17 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
The thing is that I'm sure he also did research about it, but the problem is understanding that if something doesn't work reliable, it doesn't work 100%. And in software, when something doesn't work 100%, it doesn't work.

Together with this is the title issue. This isn't just another random new feature which the creator can name whatever he wants it to be. "Open/Closed Window Notifier" is a well known term thruout the entire Messenger community for years and it stands (or rather it did stand) for a tool which detected 100% accurate when a window was opened or closed.

Many people (the n00bs to call them disrespectfull) did NOT know that at a certain point they didn't work 100% anymore and that is what helpers on forums have been telling people for several years now.

Making a tool like this and calling it again a window notifier is bluntly wrong and will do nothing more than misinforming all those "n00b" people. Calling a tool like that and saying it does work undermines everything which dedicated helpers have been trying to teach people over the past years...

Analogy: see block checkers

Constantly insisting in stating the opposite obviously gets those helpers on their high horse. It's even worse when the person who insist in stating such things gives some signs of being a bit intelligent and having a bit more knowledge about this than the average Joe.

This post was edited on 07-22-2006 at 01:31 PM by CookieRevised.
07-22-2006 01:27 PM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And in software, when something doesn't work 100%, it doesn't work.

Exactly. Nice way of putting it cookie.
Segosa is newb.
07-22-2006 01:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
foaly

38 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
quote:
PS: I wouldn't even be surprised that you also still claim that block checkers work (block checkers which can be perfectly compared with window notifiers, as block checkers will also "always" inform the user when he is blocked besides the fact that they also report many false reports)....

well a blockchecker is more reliable then window notifiers... because blockcheckers give false negatives... and window notifiers give false positives...

quote:
And in software, when something doesn't work 100%, it doesn't work.

Cookie you are right in this discussion, but this a non-argument... if something works 100% it's bug free... and there is almost no software that is bug free.. 

This post was edited on 07-22-2006 at 01:41 PM by foaly.
07-22-2006 01:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Obviously we are not talking about just bugs...

A bug is something which happens which is not supposed to be happening, a programming error... False open window notifs all the time are SUPPOSED to be happening with a session notifier. There are no programming errors in a sessions notifier, yet it does not work as a window notifier as there are no unique messages to specify opened/closed windows.

This post was edited on 07-22-2006 at 01:51 PM by CookieRevised.
07-22-2006 01:48 PM
Pages: (26): « First « 20 21 22 23 [ 24 ] 25 26 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: