What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » The open/closed window notifier feature

Pages: (26): « First « 22 23 24 25 [ 26 ] Last »
The open/closed window notifier feature
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
quote:
Originally posted by ecion
If they dont type then obviously you cannot be sure they opened your window.
(...)
but still the window opened part can be used to certain degree of accuracy
All meanig it is not working as it should.

quote:
quote:
read the sticky thread on the forum about this...
Ah yes, as I mentioned earlier (i was unsure if things had changed since then) block checkers only work if the suspect is allowing all users to see their status. Though this is irrelivent, is it not?
No, as that is actually the same issue. People thought they still worked, although they gave false warnings and what not (yeah, together with true warnings, but just as with the window notifier you have no way for knowing for sure). Block checkers do not work anymore and the best you can call them are Online Checkers. just as a window notifier will NOT work anymore, and at best can be called a SESSION notifier.

quote:
quote:
1) it's present form is the form it always will be in
2) if it is not a reliable window notifer I fail to see how it can be used a s a reliable window notifier.
1) I never aid it was going to change, did I?
2) yea i worded that wrong. - What I mean is, although it gives false alerts, you can tell when some of those alerts are real.

1) By using "in it's present form" you imply that there is going to be another future form.
2) "Some of those", "not all", etc... hence it is not working, and you don't even have a good way to "guess" which are correct and which not.

--------------------

@RaceProUK, I too understand the issue you talk about, but actually pruning this thread will do nothing good at all. The issue will still be there and sooner or later a new thread will be made and everything starts from the beginning. Moreover, all the information posted in this thread will be lost and needs to be posted again etc...

The same for when it is moved to T&T (I don't whish anything else), is will be pruned eventually and it will start again...

At least now there is 1 thread where this is and can be discussed. And it contains all the info there is about this subject.

you dont want immature arguments clogging up this forum. However I feel it still a good discussion, as we are all trying to make others see our point of view it is helping us all learn stuff about the reliability. Though if this thread drops down to simple flames and name calling then yes, i agree it should be closed. But for now I think it is ok?

.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-22-2006 04:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ecion

37 / Male / –
RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
quote:
All meanig it is not working as it should.
Correct. But can you agree that some users will still find it useful? As it can be correct, especially if the user types. And especially if the window is closed within the 60second timeout.

quote:
No, as that is actually the same issue. People thought they still worked, although they gave false warnings and what not (yeah, together with true warnings, but just as with the window notifier you have no way for knowing for sure). Block checkers do not work anymore and the best you can call them are Online Checkers. just as a window notifier will NOT work anymore, and at best can be called a SESSION notifier.
ok i see where you're coming from. However simply calling them by a different name doesnt stop them being used for their orginal purpose, which they can still do to a certain degree baring in mind the limitations.

quote:
1) By using "in it's present form" you imply that there is going to be another future form.
2) "Some of those", "not all", etc... hence it is not working, and you don't even have a good way to "guess" which are correct and which not.
1) ah yes. I see. I guess i used that term as no one knows what the future could bring, such as new changes to the protocol.
2) I still have to disgree here, as I am able to "guess" correctly. Refering to the first quote.

quote:
@RaceProUK, I too understand the issue you talk about, but actually pruning this thread will do nothing good at all. The issue will still be there and sooner or later a new thread will be made and everything starts from the beginning. Moreover, all the information posted in this thread will be lost and needs to be posted again etc...

The same for when it is moved to T&T (I don't whish anything else), is will be pruned eventually and it will start again...

At least now there is 1 thread where this is and can be discussed. And it contains all the info there is about this subject.

Agreed, keeping all this 'discussion' in one thread is best. And if this thread is deleted/locked etc, it will only encorage new threads. Especially when/if nx01rule's creation is released.
[Image: ecion_megane_sig2.jpg]
07-22-2006 04:27 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
GiantSpider
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
I reported this hours ago.

Look, a basic summary is, WON & WCN DO NOT WORK, a workaround to this is simply to wait for someone to talk to you, and if they close the window, then it's not the end of the world, they might not have Plus! tabs enabled.

If you want do wait for this, which will falsely give you notifications then you are more than wellcome to do so, but don't ask for help or complain when you realise it doesn't.
07-22-2006 04:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
cloudhunter

36 / – / –
Enough is enough, all that is happening is the same thing is repeating over and over again. If people have something constructive to add, I welcome it. But for now, I suggest the discussion ends on whether it works or not. Because as has been so VERY frequenently said, It isn't 100% reliable. Granted, if you get an alert, you open theit window and they are typing, then you know they opened your window. However, why would you need to be told that they have opened your window? As they most likely will say "Hi" or something short as an introduction...

Having said that, if you know that it isn't accurate, getting false notifications wont be too much of an annoyance. I use the feature on Messenger Discovery Live (when it decides it's connected...) and getting false notifications doesn't bother me.

I know I am already repeating for the umpteenth time what has already being said... But bottom line is: It is no longer a open window notifyer, it is now more of a notification when a certain protocol message has been recieved.

Cloudy
[Image: cloudy.jpg]
Sig by pirateok/marisaok/marisa ;)
quote:
Originally posted by Moulin Rouge
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return

6700 days, 2 hours, 41 minutes, 26 seconds ago
07-22-2006 04:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (26): « First « 22 23 24 25 [ 26 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode