What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Scripting API Wishlist

Pages: (15): « First « 3 4 5 6 [ 7 ] 8 9 10 11 » Last »
Scripting API Wishlist
Author: Message:
Plan-1130

I keep askin' myself: why?

73 / Male / –
RE: Scripting API Wishlist
That is why i requested MsgPlus to include the raw package, the email, or the contact as a parameter... Or even an OnEvent_ReceiveRawPackage and OnEvent_SendRawPackage...
If those last 2 could be added, it would be so cool. I'd love to learn a bit more about the raw packages, it would give so much control if you know it all.
I'd even beg Cookie for helping me with Regular Expressions, i truly still don't get the syntax, and raw packages are almost impossible to split using .split() method.

If this won't be added for some reason, and someone has the time, and feels like it, and knows how to, and is willing to etc. We could try to make a dll that intercepts raw packages. Not a packet sniffer, but an intercepter, one that holds them, processes them and passes them through, and maybe can send them too.
Not that I know how to do it, but I'd die to learn how to do it. :)

NEW IDEA: Maybe it's a good thing to change the Timer feature so that it calles a function you define, other that calling OnEvent_Timer with the id as a parameter.
Ex:
code:
function OnEvent_ChatWndReceiveMessage(ChatWnd, Origin, Message, MessageKind)
{
MsgPlus.AddTimer("DelayedFunction(\"first parameter\",ChatWnd)", 1500);
}

function DelayedFunction(Text, Window)
{
Window.SendMessage(Text);
}

would, well, delay sending a message to that window.
I think it's a lot safer than to save the Chat Window in a global variable and that it would solve quite a few safety issues.

This post was edited on 10-27-2006 at 08:36 PM by Plan-1130.
My Scripts: UltimatFlooder, Advanced PSM Chat, PlusPrivacy, PlusRemote

[Image: Plan-1130.png]
10-27-2006 03:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
So you honestly think I would send you the name of the contact if I could send you his email? :)

Messenger Plus! itself has no idea what the email of the contact is when a message is received in a chat. That's because messages are analysed when inserted in the edit box, not when received in the protocol stream (and there's a lot of other advantages to that).

So there's no way I can help you on this. What I can tell you though is that Messenger Plus! has always worked this way for some features, by guessing, and nobody ever complained about it. Changes that somebody is talking to multiple contacts in the same window who have the exact same names are very poor.

----------------------

As for the change in how the timers work. There is no difference (including no 'safety issues') between the one you prupose and the current one.

This post was edited on 11-01-2006 at 09:43 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-01-2006 09:42 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Plan-1130

I keep askin' myself: why?

73 / Male / –
well I guess you're right when you say it's nothing safer, but what I would like to do is send parameters too, including objects.
Ah, maybe just forget that thing...
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
So you honestly think I would send you the name of the contact if I could send you his email? (Smilie)

Messenger Plus! itself has no idea what the email of the contact is when a message is received in a chat. That's because messages are analysed when inserted in the edit box, not when received in the protocol stream (and there's a lot of other advantages to that).

So there's no way I can help you on this. What I can tell you though is that Messenger Plus! has always worked this way for some features, by guessing, and nobody ever complained about it. Changes that somebody is talking to multiple contacts in the same window who have the exact same names are very poor.
But the chances someone has a Chat-Only name is getting bigger and bigger (can be done with the protocol, as i showed), and it's good to change things every so often, it's called evolution, imagine yourself being just 1 cell, instead of being millions like you are now...
As for the no-complains-yet, once has to be the first time, and I wouldn't call this a complaint, more like a wish (as this is a wish-list, and I never got the lamborghini I asked from Santa) :)
And why not use both the protocol and the edit box of the window, you'd have the advantages of both, except when it comes to speed maybe, but I don't think many people will care, as they have to have a good computer because WLM uses a lot of resources itself anyway.
If you'd use both the protocol and the edit box you can compare the names etc. It's up to a genius like Patchou to figure out how to do that the best and safest way.

I'm sorry if I sound like a know-all, or maybe even offending, it's just the protocol gives so much more information, and I would really like to get that information. If Messenger Plus! Live can intercept, and alter the protocol it would be almighty, it would cause a new breed of Scripts to evolve.
My Scripts: UltimatFlooder, Advanced PSM Chat, PlusPrivacy, PlusRemote

[Image: Plan-1130.png]
11-01-2006 07:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I understand what you're saying, but one of the reasons the protocol is used as little as possible is security (Plus! has been blamed to cause a whole range of connection problems before, even when it didn't used anything from the protocol and didn't interfeared with the protocol at all). And there are probably many more reasons why it is done as it is done now.

If things where so easy (and to show it isn't that easy to make a always working, no interfearing, reliable sniffer and stuff look at the few sniffers around which don't always work), it would have been done that way...

I'm not disputing the fact that more things could be done when the protocol is used, but only noting that there are reasons why something isn't done (yet).

------------

quote:
Originally posted by Plan-1130
well I guess you're right when you say it's nothing safer, but what I would like to do is send parameters too, including objects.
Besides using global variables (which I'm also not very fond of), there are other tricks you can use to still send parameters to the timers by using the timer's id itself.

Smart programming quite often also reduces the need for parameters to be passed (can't always be reduced to nothing, but quite often it can be reduced a great deal).

Nevertheless, it would indeed be nice that there could be optional parameters being passed to the timer event. But again this is far from easy to implement as the timer scheme being used is almost strait the one from Windows itself. Making it that Plus! itself quite probably must use global variables itself to pull it off. In other words, there would be no advantage (memory wise) to it also.

This post was edited on 11-01-2006 at 11:49 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-01-2006 11:42 PM
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
when markee and i were trying to set control text of a Text Element it wouldnt work... so then we looking into the scripting docs and we found out that you cant set the control text of it. we know a way of making it work (by hard coding it) but we really wanted to be able to use:
code:
WndId.SetControlText(ControlId, Stuff to put);
to do it... maybe in a future release?
12-14-2006 03:36 AM
deAd
Scripting Contest Winner

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Scripting API Wishlist
quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
when markee and i were trying to set control text of a Text Element it wouldnt work... so then we looking into the scripting docs and we found out that you cant set the control text of it. we know a way of making it work (by hard coding it) but we really wanted to be able to use:
code:
WndId.SetControlText(ControlId, Stuff to put);
to do it... maybe in a future release?

You can't change any element's properties after the window is created. If you want to change the text at runtime make it a StaticControl.
12-14-2006 04:12 AM
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by deAd
You can't change any element's properties after the window is created. If you want to change the text at runtime make it a StaticControl.
but you cant add a StaticControl or any other controls into a RadioControl... the only thing that you can add is an element
12-14-2006 04:17 AM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
NanaFreak didn't give enough information, it was a custom look of a Radio Control so you can only use an Element hence why we are having the problem with the TextElement.  I wish we could change it to a StaticControl or to be able to send text to a TextElement.
[Image: markee.png]
12-14-2006 04:24 AM
deAd
Scripting Contest Winner

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Scripting API Wishlist
quote:
Originally posted by markee
NanaFreak didn't give enough information, it was a custom look of a Radio Control so you can only use an Element hence why we are having the problem with the TextElement.  I wish we could change it to a StaticControl or to be able to send text to a TextElement.

Now I see your point. This is a dirty solution, but it'll work:
(1) Make a CustomLook RadioButton with no text
(2) Place a StaticControl next to it on the window
(3) Change the text of the StaticControl.
12-14-2006 04:36 AM
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by deAd
Now I see your point. This is a dirty solution, but it'll work:
(1) Make a CustomLook RadioButton with no text
(2) Place a StaticControl next to it on the window
(3) Change the text of the StaticControl.
thanks for the idea but it wont work because when you click on the Radio Control the text goes from normal to bold

we were think of making multiple xml's for each language to fix it but then we thought it would be too much work for the translators / us and also when getting a new language it would be difficult
12-14-2006 04:40 AM
Pages: (15): « First « 3 4 5 6 [ 7 ] 8 9 10 11 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: