What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Why do you believe in God?

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
Poll: Why do you believe in God
I believe in God because He has shown Himself to me.
I believe in God because a prayer I said came true.
I believe in God because I believe what the Bible says.
I believe in God because my parents did.
I believe in God because of what my school taught me.
I believe in God because I want there to be some point to life.
I believe in God because I want to go to heaven when I die.
I believe in God because everyone else does.
I believe in God but I don't know why.
I believe in God for another reason (post the reason).
I'm not sure if I believe in God or not.
I don't believe in God.
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Why do you believe in God?
Author: Message:
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Why do you believe in God?
quote:
Originally posted by Shondoit
And ever heard of entropy? Every reaction will increase disorder... (second law of thermodynamics) so how did the stars clutter together (is clutter a correct english word?)

The second law of thermodynamics only applies in a closed enivornment, so on Earth we have not experienced this because there is so much energy coming in from the Sun.
It's theorized that there was a set amount of energy at the beginning of the universe, and since energy can't be created or destroyed, that energy still exists today.

That's all I have to say in this one, except that I don't believe in God either: too hard for me to have faith in something that someone else says exists but they can't prove it.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
09-21-2006 07:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Shondoit

Hmm, Just Me...

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Why do you believe in God?
Please read more carefully...
I was talking about the universe in general
The second law states that every reaction would increase the disorder... So the formation of stars would not work, the atoms would spread troughout the universe, instead of clutter together into a star

And since when is energy from the sun productive...?
Only when you have the proper tools to convert it, it is productive (as in plants) in other cases, it is destructive, check the paint of a car, who stood in the sun for years
My scripts:                            [Image: shondoit.gif]
+ Timezone
+ Camelo
+ Multisearch
09-21-2006 07:06 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
The books in the bible written about Jesus wasn't started until 40 years after he died. Now, back then you weren't expected to live that long, 30 years would have been old! So that means it would of have to of been passed down through word of mouth.

These people didn't have science to justify what they saw, and with those 40 years a lot changed. Think about it, how many times a story would have changed between those years. And then even more because the writtings would have been lost or people changed things.

Now, for the people who said you don't need to see God/Jesus to believe him. After he died on the cross he rose again after three days right? Well after those three days Jesus went to meet his disciples and many other people. Over 100 people in fact (it's in the bible) to show that he did actually rise from the dead. Why couldn't he do that now?

Pray for Jesus to appear, will he? No he won't. But, in Matthew 7:7 he said he would answer our prayers. And in Mark 9:23, Jesus said, "All things are possible to him who believes.". Well if it was possible (which is since he showed himself to over 100 people) why doesn't he show himself?

What about God, Luke 1:37: "For with God nothing will be impossible.". So if you pray to see them, you shall get your request answered.

So what are you going to say now? Thou shalt not test the lord? Really so you're going to say don't take the bible literally but then go and take that verse literally? That just doesn't make sense. Then again that's religion for ya.

And for the people who "see" him every day, get off the drugs or go find the proper drugs to help your condition.

Religion is a farce these days. Many leaders are just money hungry people. I still can't believe some people are so dense to believe this stuff. Look at it with an open mind and you will become a better person.

I wrote the exact same thing last time there was a thread that segosa started.

Except, the gospels weren't actually written until a few hundred years later, not only 40 years.

Segosa: you're right, people are gullible and believe anything they hear in a church. It's this reason why people are terrorists, they listen to a preacher and then become a terrorist and think they'll become martyrs and have 72 virgins waiting for them in heaven.

quote:
Please read more carefully...
I was talking about the universe in general
The second law states that every reaction would increase the disorder... So the formation of stars would not work, the atoms would spread troughout the universe, instead of clutter together into a star

And since when is energy from the sun productive...?
Only when you have the proper tools to convert it, it is productive (as in plants) in other cases, it is destructive, check the paint of a car, who stood in the sun for years

I honestly don't think you know what you're talking about.
09-21-2006 07:13 AM
Ash_

35 / Male / –
i dont believe in a god because of the terrible things that happen in this world. paedophiles and serial killers are allowed life yet honest people and kids die.
[Image: jeansiger5.jpg]
09-21-2006 08:21 AM
cloudhunter

36 / – / –
quote:
Originally posted by Ash_
i dont believe in a god because of the terrible things that happen in this world. paedophiles and serial killers are allowed life yet honest people and kids die.

God gave humans free will. And as such, Human nature is unpredictable. Sure God could stop it, but if he did, he'd be taking away free will.

What would you prefer? A world without free will where everyone is a robot, has no say in what they do and there is no variaty, or free will where people die at the hands of others?

Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by Curtis
I believe in God because I choose to.

Amen.

Woot! 500 posts!

This post was edited on 09-21-2006 at 08:46 AM by cloudhunter.
[Image: cloudy.jpg]
Sig by pirateok/marisaok/marisa ;)
quote:
Originally posted by Moulin Rouge
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return

6700 days, 14 hours, 37 minutes, 8 seconds ago
09-21-2006 08:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Underlord
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Also the earths rotation speed is decreasing, 'scientific' studies show an average decrease of 2,2 seconds every 100.000 years... If you'd calculate it back, to the 'alleged' 5 billion years ago the earth 'formed', the rotation would be 30 hours less than on the present day... a bit awkward. even if it is a bit off scale, it would still mean the earth was spinning increadibly fast, which would've caused huge centrifugal forces
The earth's rotation is different to its orbit around the sun. Also what is the point of this?

This post was edited on 09-21-2006 at 11:03 AM by Underlord.
09-21-2006 10:14 AM
ins4ne
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
i dont know if someone wrote that but: if god exists, why is everything so fucked? why is war everywhere? why do people fight? why does poorness exist? why? why? why? why and why? there are so many things that wouldnt exist if "god" exists really!
[Image: b5c5bb366c94ba43283cc13901380e3e.png]
09-21-2006 10:33 AM
cloudhunter

36 / – / –
Just because God exists, doesn't mean that the human race shouldn't suffer. Human being gained knowlege of Sin, Fear, War, Death, and everything, the moment they bit the forbidden fruit and got thrown out of Eden.

Like I said before, Humans have free will, and he lets humans do what they want. If bad things werent allowed to happen, where would choice be?
quote:

09-21-2006 10:36 AM
ins4ne
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
ok... could be true. but other thing. i dont believe in things ive never seen ;)
[Image: b5c5bb366c94ba43283cc13901380e3e.png]
09-21-2006 10:53 AM
cloudhunter

36 / – / –
So you have never seen an elephant... Does it not exist? You can't see air... Does it not exist?

Just random thoughts ;)
quote:

09-21-2006 10:57 AM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode