What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [Request] Reply Notification

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
[Request] Reply Notification
Author: Message:
IamFroggy

Senior Web Monkey Extraordinaire

47 / Male / –
RE: RE: [Request] Reply Notification
quote:
Originally posted by Jay_Jay
quote:
Originally posted by IamFroggy
He i could write the script but i hate designing the ui and all the surrounding functions. Tell you what i'll make it and have it done by the weekend, a general watcher of urls you add to a list, is that going to be enough?
i can make the ui for you if you want seeing as ilike making them

Yeah, but the scripting behind em is what im talking about, oodles of functions just to make an interesting theory user friendly heh
09-20-2006 09:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
RE: [Request] Reply Notification
i can do that too, i have had lots of experence with windows (i make them all the time).

if you make the function to do it i will add the config window after

i made windows for gradient, wlm preview box, and others [Image: msn_tongue.gif]
09-20-2006 09:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
IamFroggy

47 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Jay_Jay
i can do that too, i have had lots of experence with windows (i make them all the time).

if you make the function to do it i will add the config window after

i made windows for gradient, wlm preview box, and others [Image: msn_tongue.gif]

ok that sounds great , i will make the watcher, i'll make either a url watcher ... hmm actually a forum watcher might be better.

How about you make 3 windows, an about window, a main settings window with add topic, ok and cancel buttons and a big square list pane. when you click on add another small dialog should open letting the user enter a url which will be added to the list box.

i will add code to translate the url to a topic title and forum system. mybb will be supported as proof of concept, the phpbb then others.

50/50 credits Programing by froggy ui by jay-jay, deal?
09-20-2006 09:38 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [Request] Reply Notification
quote:
50/50 credits Programing by froggy ui by jay-jay, deal?

A-hem! lol I don't mind coding stuff as well, I do have SOME experience with scripts too y'know ;) Be kind interesting if I could help with anything... I at least wanna be a tester :p

EDIT: Spelling...grrr!

This post was edited on 09-20-2006 at 10:45 PM by Spunky.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
09-20-2006 10:45 PM
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
ok that sounds great , i will make the watcher, i'll make either a url watcher ... hmm actually a forum watcher might be better.

How about you make 3 windows, an about window, a main settings window with add topic, ok and cancel buttons and a big square list pane. when you click on add another small dialog should open letting the user enter a url which will be added to the list box.

i will add code to translate the url to a topic title and forum system. mybb will be supported as proof of concept, the phpbb then others.
yep ok but i have now got 3 scripts i am doing :P yay this holidays is gonna be good

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
A-hem! lol I don't mind coding stuff as well, I do have SOME experience with scripts too y'know  Be kind interesting if I could help with anything... I at least wanna be a tester
yes sure you can script with us the more the merier :P but i would get more coz i am good at windows and you guys hate em :P

oh and iamfroggy add me to msn so its easier to talk about it (wont be on for 4 hours though)
09-21-2006 01:04 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
!!! IMPORTANT !!!

Be extremely carefull with such scripts. In fact, such stuff has been made in the past (Plus!3) and the forum admins did not liked it since it creates more overhead with that constant polling of threads.

Rather make a script which checks your email for new forum notification mails. Benefits:
- you don't need to login to the forum
- the forum will not detect another 'guest'
- you can also see updates in threads which guest have no access to
- the forum isn't bombarded with requests (which WILL happen when people use such a script)
- you have all the info you need in the email already: new post id (which you will NOT have when you simply poll threads as more posts may have posted before your script detects them), the name of the poster, the thread topic, etc...

Again, please don't make a script which directly polls threads (untill further notice of an admin).

!!! IMPORTANT !!!

This post was edited on 09-21-2006 at 09:48 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-21-2006 09:44 AM
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
I aggre, with you, Cookie.
But there isn't a way do make the script asks for a login to start working or to make it, if not logged, more "selective"???
09-22-2006 12:33 AM
deAd
Scripting Contest Winner

– / Male / Flag
Even if the script logs into the forum, it doesn't solve all of the list items.
quote:
- the forum isn't bombarded with requests (which WILL happen when people use such a script)
- you have all the info you need in the email already: new post id (which you will NOT have when you simply poll threads as more posts may have posted before your script detects them), the name of the poster, the thread topic, etc...

There are also other things...
09-22-2006 12:44 AM
IamFroggy

47 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
!!! IMPORTANT !!!

Be extremely carefull with such scripts. In fact, such stuff has been made in the past (Plus!3) and the forum admins did not liked it since it creates more overhead with that constant polling of threads.

Rather make a script which checks your email for new forum notification mails. Benefits:
- you don't need to login to the forum
- the forum will not detect another 'guest'
- you can also see updates in threads which guest have no access to

Again, please don't make a script which directly polls threads (untill further notice of an admin).

!!! IMPORTANT !!!

:) I hear you i'm a senior web guy so such considerations are not lost on me, I was going to set the time frequency to be a minimum of 15 minutes say, and it would do just one scrape, if you wanted a frequency greater than that it would mean you were activly activating in the topic and as such would have it open in your browser anyway :)

At 15 minutes that would be ok , I mean when users are actually checking topics they quite often refresh every minute or so , so  the script would NOT be putting any stress on the server.

If the user edits the frequency, I cant be held to blame , look at virus writers, you cant blame the makers of c compilers or such for the code users make eh?

This script would not be polling this forum by default , but any forum, no more harmful by default that browsing in a browser, which in itself anyone is entitled to do :)

This post was edited on 09-22-2006 at 11:55 AM by IamFroggy.
09-22-2006 11:46 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I hear you... though in one thing you are wrong though:
quote:
If the user edits the frequency, I cant be held to blame , look at virus writers, you cant blame the makers of c compilers or such for the code users make eh?
that comparisson is faulty.

Nope, we can't blame the compiler creators (aka scripting engine), we wont do that either. We blame the virus creators (aka the scripters)....

If you want to use such a comparisson then it should be: you are the programmer (the virus writer) using a scripting engine (the c compiler) and you can be blamed for the script (the virus) you created by the admins of this forum (the companies that get damage by the virus).

;)

This post was edited on 09-23-2006 at 06:50 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-23-2006 06:48 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: