What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Script Database - updates?

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Script Database - updates?
Author: Message:
deAd
Scripting Contest Winner

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Script Database - updates?
Would it be possible to create some sort of system where the people that submit scripts to the database can update and change their scripts themselves?  Like if they had an account or something, which could be given to them when a script is approved or something like that.

You'd still need to submit normally though so we don't clog the database with complete crap, but basically the system would allow you to update their scripts and descriptions, etc.

Is this possible? I think it's a big hassle for developers to have to submit all over again just to update. :/
12-19-2006 01:22 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

RE: Script Database - updates?
Well the thing is, I believe all scripts are manually tested before they're visible in the database (right Menthix?)

The problem with allowing users to modify scripts themselves is that after a submission is approved somebody can upload a malicious version of their script instead.
12-19-2006 01:28 AM
deAd
Scripting Contest Winner

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Script Database - updates?
That is a big issue, but maybe when a script is updated an email or notification can be sent to Menthix or whoever is approving them notifying them that there's a change. Menthix could check them in the same time he'd check an emailed script, and usually by then it wouldn't cause widespread harm. This way malicious scripts are found (with a slight time delay) and if they aren't malicious (most aren't :P) then it'd still be a faster, easier, better way to update the scripts.

Not the best method though *-)
12-19-2006 01:38 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
I talked about a system like this with Patchou before.

The problem is, Patchou doesn't want to allow updates in the DB when they're not checked first. And after moderating the DB for some months now, I have to agree with that. Not checking scripts (even just the updates) will result in a mess.

However, I still want to do a system somewhere in the future where the script devvers can login and add/update there scripts. Each new script and update will in that case still be manually checked before it goes public in the DB, but i think there would still be good points for it:
- The time it takes to get your script accepted will probably go down since some things can be automised
- When sending in updates you can change your old description and such in an easy way (just change things in a text field)
- Mistakes in your submissions can be fixed easily when the script is still in queue... instead of having to send yet another mail, you could simply make changes to your submission as long as its still in the queue.
- We could create userpages, like msgpluslive.net/scripts/user/MenthiX/ where people can view all the scripts submitted by a user.
- General info (like your name and maybe website) could be changed for all your scripts at once.
- If we take automation even futher, versionnumbers could automatically be added to all scriptpacks and some generic automatic update could be written for all scripts in the DB.

The only downside would probably be that having to register a useraccount to submit a script would probably make the step for some scripters to submit their creations a bit bigger, which is something I wouldn't like to see.

Anyway, I'd like to hear ideas and thoughts about a system like this from everyone! :) Do not expect me to start working on something like this anytime soon, certainly not in the coming few months... but talking about it can never hurt.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-19-2006 01:46 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
I think there should be an easier method of submitting them than email IMO. You say people would think of a useraccount as a sort of barrier to stop new scripters, but I think email which always feels more personal is a bigger one. I always hate sending the emails :p

I agree it would not be a very good idea to leave unchecked scripts available for download, but how about a pending status so we can submit them and they won't be avilable until the have been reviewed (and in the case of updates, keep the old version avilable until the new was is approved, similar to how it is now :s)

I like the idea of being able to login and update scripts and so on.

As for the idea about being able to have userpages, I've been meaning to suggest for a while that the database allows search by Author as well as by topic and date etc.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
12-19-2006 02:03 AM
deAd
Scripting Contest Winner

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Script Database - updates?
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiXThe only downside would probably be that having to register a useraccount to submit a script would probably make the step for some scripters to submit their creations a bit bigger, which is something I wouldn't like to see.
They could still submit by email I guess, if they didn't want/need all the benefits of having an account.
12-19-2006 02:30 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
how about a pending status so we can submit them and they won't be avilable until the have been reviewed
They same way its done right now, right? Because letting random users see pending scripts they can't download wouldn't make sense.

quote:
Originally posted by deAd
They could still submit by email I guess, if they didn't want/need all the benefits of having an account.
Its either submitting by email only of by user accounts only, keeping 2 different methods would cause too many chaos and confusing (what happens if a user would use both methods simultaneously? :D)

quote:
Originally posted by deAd
when a script is updated an email or notification can be sent to Menthix or whoever is approving them notifying them that there's a change. Menthix could check them in the same time he'd check an emailed script, and usually by then it wouldn't cause widespread harm.
Only if the update isn't displayed on the RSS feed, Live Alerts and, in the future , possibly auto-update until the script has been checked out. But hypothetically speaking if we would do it like this... what happens when an update turns out to be bad? Revert back to the old version? Delete the entire script? If an auto-update feature would be added someday, what will happen to the users who already installed the, newer, bad version... will they still get an update notification when a fixed version is released?
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-19-2006 02:52 AM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
They same way its done right now, right? Because letting random users see pending scripts they can't download wouldn't make sense.
quote:
similar to how it is now :s

:p

A lot of scripts now have an auto-update feature and so can operate without being submitted. This means if there is a "bad" version of that script released, it can create the same problem. Also, thats why we have help and support forums ;)

<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
12-19-2006 04:04 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
A lot of scripts now have an auto-update feature and so can operate without being submitted. This means if there is a "bad" version of that script released, it can create the same problem. Also, thats why we have help and support forums
Yes but that isn't the responsibility of the Plus! site in terms of scripts.

The responsibility Patchou/Menthix have is to ensure that any scripts offered officially from the site (as in directly downloadable) are clean. What happens during an auto-update or whatever is the responsibility of the user.
12-19-2006 04:15 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
A lot of scripts now have an auto-update feature and so can operate without being submitted. This means if there is a "bad" version of that script released, it can create the same problem.
True, but in that case we don't host the file and the update isn't coming from us. Its indeed a matter of responsibility like Surfi said.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-19-2006 03:39 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: