What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » iPhone unveiled as all things to all users

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
iPhone unveiled as all things to all users
Author: Message:
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: iPhone unveiled as all things to all users
quote:
Originally posted by HSV
shame it wont be in Australia till 2008,

Edit i guess its gona take almost all this year to get the New NextG network going so they can bring the Iphone in

The NextG network isn't that good.  Very expensive, for not really great performance.  And the 3.75G network is outdated before it is being implemented (bit like CDMA) as 4G networks are already being installed in other parts of the world and the 3.75G network is barely getting a look at by most telecommunications companies around the world (hence only 4 models of phones in the world being able to use it).[/rant]

Anyway, the phone is only GSM capable atm and is soon to have 3g capabilities soon too.  The main reason behind the late shipping is because of a deal between apple and Cingular (an American telecommunication company) from what I can tell.
[Image: markee.png]
01-10-2007 10:21 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: iPhone unveiled as all things to all users
quote:
Originally posted by markee
The NextG network isn't that good.  Very expensive, for not really great performance.  And the 3.75G network is outdated before it is being implemented (bit like CDMA) as 4G networks are already being installed in other parts of the world and the 3.75G network is barely getting a look at by most telecommunications companies around the world (hence only 4 models of phones in the world being able to use it).[/rant]

Anyway, the phone is only GSM capable atm and is soon to have 3g capabilities soon too.  The main reason behind the late shipping is because of a deal between apple and Cingular (an American telecommunication company) from what I can tell.
totally agree with you, but with telstra or other telco's implementing 3G now, in the long term to get to 4G its only gonna require a software upgrade, , an yes 3G aint that great but its a sight lot better than the current 2G crap, Australia in some ways has been behind other countries, why, im not so sure, ,
01-10-2007 11:22 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Originally posted by HSV
Edit i guess its gona take almost all this year to get the New NextG network going so they can bring the Iphone in
It's not just this "NextG" network stuff which the phone will require - it's other changes to infrastructure too (see my post in the other thread) which makes me skeptical on how Australian networks will adopt it.

The only phone network who will be able to carry the iPhone (and provide decent functionality - internet access through EDGE services) is currently Telstra (and we all know how much they suck)
01-10-2007 11:56 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
It's not just this "NextG" network stuff which the phone will require - it's other changes to infrastructure too (see my post in the other thread) which makes me skeptical on how Australian networks will adopt it.

The only phone network who will be able to carry the iPhone (and provide decent functionality - internet access through EDGE services) is currently Telstra (and we all know how much they suck)
will read it soon, but i think your right about telstra being the only one but , im not so sure, i think telstra will be the first, then months afterwards companies like Optus will use them to, , i think they'll be the only ones to use the Iphone, IMO anyway. Telstra aint to bad considering i  was with optus for 8 years till i made the switch, ,
01-10-2007 12:30 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: