What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » aMSN and Emotisound

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
aMSN and Emotisound
Author: Message:
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
RE: aMSN and Emotisound
quote:
Originally posted by kakaroto
I also think that the way 'MeEtc' and 'Jesus' answered was rather rude.
I may have sounded rude, but that wasn't what I intended. All I tried to do was answering a question which was already answered a few times before. (I might have been a bit irritated at that time because of square87's "Be quite." [be quiet?], which IMO isn't the most polite way to reply to someone who is trying to help you...)

Now for the rest of your post, I think interoperability is a great thing, so I don't disagree with that. The point is, the emotisounds feature as it is now can not be used by programs other than MP!L. I don't know what Patchou's ToDo list for MP!L looks like, but I can imagine that fixing existing bugs and re-adding certain very popular features which existed in MsgPlus! 3 are higher on his list than redesigning a feature which already works to make it compatible with other programs. (not sure about Patchou's point of view, but that's what I'd do)
Don't get me wrong, again I'd love to see this come together in a way that also saves Patchou some bandwidth (I wonder why he did it this way in the first place), but as for now, it's Plus! only.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
04-20-2007 10:01 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
if a user imported a soundpack file, then it means he had to download it first from your site which means he used the bandwidth again

nope. plus does not host the sound pack files. A soundpack can be hosted anywhere, and there's even a community site made for this, created by Dempsey.
quote:
I just went to www.mpsounds.net and downloaded a few packs, it's a .plp file, not .plsc, and the file isn't a zip file, it has a file header : "PLUS_SND_PACK" as the first bytes of the file (as opposite to "PZ" for zip files).
Oops! you're right. .plsc is a script.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
04-20-2007 02:34 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
If you ask for my opinion, MeEtc's second solution isn't worth to be called as a solution.To listen an emotisound, people should have been installed that sound before, it doesn't make any sense, in my opinion.

Also why shall not Plus!'s emotisounds be the reason for people to switch to Live Messenger and Plus! Live? Or why do people from other chat clients insist on using Plus!'s emotisounds? Can't they setup their own sound database?

Edit: Also downloading sound directly from the contacts computer won't work when Offline Messaging, so it will limit Plus! users to send sounds only to Online Contacts?

This post was edited on 04-20-2007 at 04:26 PM by ahmetgns.
04-20-2007 04:15 PM
kakaroto

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
I may have sounded rude, but that wasn't what I intended. All I tried to do was answering a question which was already answered a few times before. (I might have been a bit irritated at that time because of square87's "Be quite." [be quiet?], which IMO isn't the most polite way to reply to someone who is trying to help you...)
It's alright, and if you understood square87's "Be quite" as "Be quiet" I understand why you posted that way and I would have been even more rude if I were you. I don't know square87 much but so far, I've always seen him respectful, so when I saw that line, after reading it a few times and still not understanding it, I assumed he meant "not quite" as in "that's not quite right" followed by the "I'm not desperate etc...".

About the rest of your post, I'm happy to see that you like the interoperability idea. It would be nice indeed. I know how much work maintaining this product must be taking and I know for sure it's not going to be a top priority thing in Patchou's list, I don't mind, I personally don't care about the feature, and even if it's ready in a year time, I'm ok with it as long as we can answer users "it's being worked on, be patient".
In any case, this is a decision that must be taken by Patchou, and I can't wait to see his official answer on this matter.

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
nope. plus does not host the sound pack files. A soundpack can be hosted anywhere, and there's even a community site made for this, created by Dempsey.
Ok, I didn't know that, thanks for the info.
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
Oops! you're right. .plsc is a script.
Oh ok, then I assume to support the sound pack files, we would need access to the specifications of the soundpack files format. I don't know if Patchou would agree to that though...

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
If you ask for my opinion, MeEtc's second solution isn't worth to be called as a solution.To listen an emotisound, people should have been installed that sound before, it doesn't make any sense, in my opinion.
Yes it's not a solution but it's a workaround, and it's the best solution so far if we don't want to use up Patchou's bandwidth and if we want to minimize the amount of work.

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Also why shall not Plus!'s emotisounds be the reason for people to switch to Live Messenger and Plus! Live? Or why do people from other chat clients insist on using Plus!'s emotisounds? Can't they setup their own sound database?
I didn't quite understand your statement. If you're saying why people won't switch to WLM and MP!L, I'd say that the majority of our community are *nix users (linux, BSD) and Mac users, and WLM and MP!L won't work on those platforms.
And why people from aMSN insist on using Plus! emotisounds? I'd say to piss me off :p lol, seriously though, why would MP!L users want emotisounds? why WLM users like winks? it's all "eye-candy" extra features people like and find interesting, so users request this and as faithful to our users as we are, we try to find a solution to please them. Many contacts in our contact lists are using WLM with MP!L so many of them receive those emotisounds, and it is frustrating to receive something you can't view and explain over and over again "sorry, I can't get that, what was that supposed to mean?". The same applies with colored nicknames, so many of our users had their contact list unreadable because of all those tags in the nicknames and it's annoying a lot! thankfully, someone wrote a plugin to supported colored nicks.
And why not set up our own sound database? simple, we receive a sound from MP!L we can't play it because the database doesn't contain the sound! or we send a sound and the other user can't play it because MP!L doesn't have the sound from the amsn database.. Also, as I said, a sound database isn't the most optimal solution. Read my previous thread for more info.
And most importantly, the purpose of all this is to have interoperability, if we can't get interoperability, then we didn't solve the issue of "sorry, I can't get that, what was that supposed to mean?" our users are facing.
In short, emotisounds is a good feature, but not necessary for us to add, it becomes an issue when we receive those emotisounds and amsn doesn't know what to do with them, so users start freaking out. That's our need, and we need a solution for that, not just any solution that implements "yet another emotisounds feature", standardize, interop, that's the way to go in my opinion.

Thanks for reading.
KaKaRoTo

This post was edited on 04-20-2007 at 04:44 PM by kakaroto.
04-20-2007 04:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
Right, I didn't know what aMSN is. I googled it and understood it.(And I accept that I was wrong with saying "why do people from other chat clients insist on using Plus!'s emotisounds". Such a interoperability would be nice. But it will take very long time to implement.
04-20-2007 05:16 PM
kakaroto

Hi,
is patchou ever going to read this thread anymore ? or is it that he answers once and then stops responding ? anyone can tell him to read this.. I don't want to start a new thread just to 'get his attention'.
Thanks,
KaKaRoTo
04-24-2007 02:20 AM
Re-Mi

Formerly known as Simple me

44 / Male / –
hi kakaroto,

Patchou will read this, and i'm glad to see you over here just to talk about things to make amsn cooperative with plus! i really would like the idea just like i posted it on the amsn forum.

But to come back to the patchou reading this thread, well he's a busy man and is not on the forum 24/7 sometimes he's not around for weeks give it time i think he will react.

Greetz,
(michel)
Simple me
Simple me <=> Re-Mi should ask someone to change my name again
04-24-2007 10:05 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
kakaroto

ok, great, thanks for the answer!
No problem with that, I'll be patient, I just know that some admins read only 'new/unanswered' posts, so I thought maybe he does the same. In any case, I'll be patient, no problem!
Thanks,

KaKaRoTo
04-25-2007 03:13 AM
square87

O.P. RE: aMSN and Emotisound
up

Square87

This post was edited on 05-19-2007 at 08:53 AM by square87.
05-19-2007 08:42 AM
about:config

Hi to all!

First of all I think that Messenger plus is really great app, but since it's not possible to use it in linux, I desided to write to this topic. I was just thinking that would it be possible to make plug-in to Messenger Plus, which would add more settings to emotisounds? Basicly that setting would be something like "send emotisound via voiceclip" or "send as typical emotisound".

With this settings it would be possible to send sound not only to amsn users, but allso to those who use normal WLM client. And since amsn allready has plugin for sending emotisounds via voiceclips those two clients would be able  to send emotisounds to both directions.

Offcource this plugin is more like temporarely solution, cause it's harder to add sounds you receive from another person, but still it's better than nothing. Would allso save your bandwitch from emotisound server. Maybe the right solution still would be to co-operate with amsn team which is used to work with protocol itself (you use ready made protocol if I got it right), so greating msnp2p protocol addon for Messenger plus and amsn would be solution which would make sounds available to everyone (except standard WLM) and would save your bandwitch.

I know that it won't happen a minute, if it even happens at all, but still that plugin for Messenger plus for sending via voice clips would be awesome!

PS. I'm not sure if I got it right from reading previous posts and is it possible to use msnp2p or similar, and I'm not knowledge to make even that plugin for Messenger Plus! Allso sorry for my bad english!

Just my 2cents.
06-01-2007 01:31 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: