What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » aMSN and Emotisound

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
aMSN and Emotisound
Author: Message:
square87

O.P. aMSN and Emotisound
Hello.
I use aMSN and i want to write a plugin to hear and to share Emotisounds.
Emotisound are stored on an online database.
There is some sounds in soundpacks that we can download in a simple way.

I want to know is there some license restriction?
Are there infos how to interact with emotisound database?
When we create a sound who is the owner? is there an owner?

Anyway emotisound features could be expended to all instant messaging clients and all protocols.
Keep up the good work!!! :)

Have a nice day.

Sorry for my English.
Square87

This post was edited on 04-10-2007 at 07:57 AM by square87.
04-10-2007 07:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: aMSN and Emotisound
Hello,

I'm sorry to tell you that you simply cannot do such plugin for another software. One of the reasons is that the bandwidth used by the emotionsound feature costs me a lot of money every month (really) so I want to keep the features for my own users.

Thank you for your understanding,
Patchou
[Image: signature2.gif]
04-10-2007 03:31 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
square87

O.P. RE: aMSN and Emotisound
I understand.

I want to talk about that, because on amsn forum an user wrote a way to download some emotisounds... and then there are many msn clients and many people simply doesn't use windows.
I repeat i want only to talk to find an answer for the users that ask on amsn forum emotisound feature. Anyway default emotisounds is simply text there shouldn't be problems to write a plugin that send a text! I hope...

Anyway why don't you send emotisounds through voiceclip?

Thanks.

Square87

This post was edited on 04-11-2007 at 03:53 PM by square87.
04-11-2007 03:23 PM
square87

up
04-19-2007 06:07 AM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by square87

Anyway why don't you send emotisounds through voiceclip?

There is a script that will do that.
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=69745

Again, Patchou is not releasing nor will he give you permission to access the soundsDB because of bandwidth issues. If you are still REALLY that desperate, you'll probably have to talk to him about getting a license to use the database, and that probably won't be cheap, if he even agrees to that.

In short, the SoundsDB is not and will not be available to anything else besides Plus
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
04-19-2007 06:16 AM
square87

Hello MeEtc.

Be quite. I am not desperate for this feature (this is not an AI software...), if you can read i wrote:
"I repeat i want only to talk to find an answer for the users that ask on amsn forum emotisound feature" :)

About voiceclip: the question wasn't "Is there a plugin that sends emotisound through voiceclip?" but "Anyway why don't you send emotisounds through voiceclip?" :)

I asked also others things, but i don't want to repeat.
This is not a my problem.

Good day :)
Square87

This post was edited on 04-19-2007 at 07:13 AM by square87.
04-19-2007 07:08 AM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by square87
"I repeat i want only to talk to find an answer for the users that ask on amsn forum emotisound feature"
well, if you've read Patchou's post you already have an answer for the users of the aMSN forums: It can't be done. Emotisounds are Plus! only.
Simple as that.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
04-19-2007 10:11 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
kakaroto

Hi,

This is KaKaRoTo from the aMSN team. Square87 sent me this link.

First, I'd like to say that I know Patchou a little as I've read many of his posts on different forums, and I'd like to say that you're a nice guy :) But I also think that the way 'MeEtc' and 'Jesus' answered was rather rude. Although I can understand you getting annoyed by some user's posts, I think that you could be a little more patient before breaking loose your rudeness.

About this emotisounds issue, I fully understand the problem Patchou described, and I can understand why he wouldn't like us to access the database (I actually didn't know anything about the database).
The thing that square87 asked is whether we *can* with Patchou's permission use those emotisounds, and you should be thankful for him asking such a question, because as far as I know, it's all about sending text and there's no copyright in that.
It does cost you a lot and you don't want non-plus! users to access the DB but it also costs a lot to Microsoft to maintain their MSN servers and they probably don't want any third party client to access their server either, but as far as I know, nothing can prevent us from doing so.

That said, I'm glad square87 pointed me here, so now I know that there is a sound database, that the server is owned by Patchou, that it costs him money and that he doesn't give us permission to use that database, and knowing that, I can promise you that I will not authorize any aMSN plugin to access your database, and that is a decision I take, entirely based on the respect I have for you and for your work.

Now, to continue with what square87 asked, is there a way to make this work, I'm talking here about a compromise, something to make aMSN interact with Messenger Plus! as this will be an added bonus for both of us. As you may know, aMSN has had over 12.5 millions of downloads over the last 5 years and is currently holding up with more than 400 000 downloads a day, it's a pretty popular client. And as we know, Messenger Plus! is a 'must have' plugin for MSN, I don't know the stats, but I'm sure you also have impressive stats. If we can work together to find a solution that would be profitable to both of us, making aMSN interoperable with Messenger Plus! would be a great thing.
We could developer our own plugin with our own system, and we'd have no interoperability with Messenger Plus! and we won't bother Patchou's database, and everyone will be happy, but I think that's it's such a waste not to share our efforts into one standard solution.

Please, do not understand this as being a "please, please, grant us permission to use your database so we'd be compatible", on the contrary, I think that the idea of a central repository of sounds is good, but that it's a bad move because of all this bandwidth issue (+if server goes down, users are affected, etc...). I have no idea how much money you get from Messenger Plus! and I do not need to know as this is none of my business, but if you say that it costs you a lot, I think that it would be wise to change your implementation.
To benefit you, I wouldn't accept it even if you agreed to let us use the database because I think that it's not the optimal solution. If you want my help, please say so, and I would be glad to share my mind with you in order to brainstorm and engineer a solution that would be not only profitable to your users (or our users) but also profitable to you, allowing you to minimize or remove any of that bandwidth use for emotisounds.

I'm thinking of a protocol similar to the one used by MSN itself (I don't know if you're aware of the protocol specifics since you hook the original client itself, you don't need to reimplement the protocol lib). we could use an MSNP2P to send the sound. Square87 talked about sending it through a voice clip, and he suggested it to make it not use your bandwidth, I think it's a good starting point, but we should try to make something more 'hidden' than a voice clip. You could send either messages with a Content-Type of x-msmsgs-plus-plugin or something, those will be ignored by MSN, so they won't affect the chat, but maybe you can grab those messages and parse them yourself and extract the info you want, like maybe sending the sound encoded with the voice clip codec (siren7, I implemented an open source version of it, compression ratio is 16:1). You can also send it through a datacast message (used to notify of voice clips and nudges, etc...) with special datacast ID and Data fields.
You could keep your central sound repository for when users want to download new sounds to their PC but when sending a sound from one user to another, let the user downloading the sound download it directly from his contact than from your server, this will probably lower the bandwidth a lot for you. Of course, this would use a system to cache the sounds, etc...

Anyways, if you're interested, tell me, and we'll talk about it.

Take care,
KaKaRoTo
04-20-2007 01:04 AM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
OK, after reading that I have two suggestions for you:
1. Encourage the users who have Plus, and are communicating with users of aMSN to use the script posted above, which sends Plus sounds as a voiceclip.

2. Develop a feature that allows your client to import .plsc soundpack files. These are basically zip files that contain a collection of .dat files, which are really mp3 files. These dat files ironically have the same filename as the sound id number. In this way, a user could play sounds that are sent that already exist on the users' computer. It provides no way of automatically collecting sound files, but can play them if the person already has the file.

I apologize if I sounded rude in the previous post, I was merely trying to reinforce Patchou's post.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
04-20-2007 01:24 AM
kakaroto

Hi MeEtc,
Thanks for your message, apologies accepted :) it's all in the past now.
A quick comment about your two suggestions :
1 - good, but it would become a hassle for users, you install a plugin which all it does is send an automatic message "install the script here : http://..." + considering the huge proportion of n00bs using PCs nowadays, I don't think it would be an efficient solution

2 - first, that wouldn't help you, if a user imported a soundpack file, then it means he had to download it first from your site which means he used the bandwidth again, so it's not at your advantage. Also, we wouldn't really be helping each other out here, I'd like to help the Messenger Plus! team if possible. But if we go for a workaround, I think your idea is excellent.
A comment though, I just went to www.mpsounds.net and downloaded a few packs, it's a .plp file, not .plsc, and the file isn't a zip file, it has a file header : "PLUS_SND_PACK" as the first bytes of the file (as opposite to "PZ" for zip files).

Going to sleep now, thanks for taking the time to read me.

KaKaRoTo
04-20-2007 05:51 AM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: