What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » YAY Free ubuntu CD's again!

Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
YAY Free ubuntu CD's again!
Author: Message:
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: YAY Free ubuntu CD's again!
I got the 3 pack (2x32, 1x64) simply cause I need one 32 bit and 64 bit, and there wasn't an option for just one of each. :|

I've actually already downloaded Kubuntu on this machine, I have to say, I do like it - although there are always niggly little things - such as all the MSN clients have horrible fonts, amarok skips the first few seconds of each song (ok, so all my tunes are in WMA format, but that shouldn't matter), etc.

Admittedly, I'm surprised it still works since I've:
- Used the server install CD.
- apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
- apt-get autoremove xubuntu-desktop
- apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
- apt-get remove linux-image-server
Just to get where I am. The Ubuntu team really do put a lot of work into it making sure everything works. They really are pushing Linux into the hands of the general public.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
04-21-2007 10:45 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Woraug

A Credit to Dementia

36 / Male / –
RE: RE: YAY Free ubuntu CD's again!
quote:
Originally posted by marissa
why do you guys need THREE cds?

I chose three because I'll be keeping one disc inside my case, so I don't loose it.  One attached to one of my laptops in case I need it when I'm out.  one one tucked safely away as a "just-in-case".
[Image: Sentinel.png]
04-22-2007 07:05 AM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
I ordered three as well, I needed both types so I was happy when I saw they had a pack with both in it. From the last bunch I ordered (got 5) I gave a few away, so a extra CD or two might be handy.
[Image: signature.php]
04-22-2007 07:20 AM
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
[Image: attachment.php?pid=811575]
:cheesy:
* andrey waits...

.gif File Attachment: Image1.gif (2.33 KB)
This file has been downloaded 418 time(s).
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
04-24-2007 03:22 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
* vaccination got 3 CD (2x32 1x64 =D)
[Image: jumbled.png]
04-24-2007 03:24 PM
Verte

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
...The Ubuntu team really do put a lot of work into it making sure everything works. They really are pushing Linux into the hands of the general public.

Mr. Shuttleworth mentioned recently that he doesn't think Linux is ready for the desktop yet. I think the more important thing is, people don't understand it. I installed Debian on my fathers computer [I'm staying here for a few months, might as well get comfortable] and he still complains that he can't use it, because, for example, he doesn't know how to get his emails. If he took three seconds to look at the screen and see the large envelope on it that opens Evolution, he'd be fine, but there's this big fear of the unknown I guess, and that's the major barrier to entry.

I ordered myself an Ubuntu CD [I can copy it- one is enough], I mostly want to put it on my mother and sisters computer and see how they go, and it'd be great for those "well, I've always wanted to try Linux" conversations. I carry other Linux live CDs, but if I was going to actually install one on a non-technical users computer it would probably have to be Ubuntu or Xubuntu.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
04-25-2007 03:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Yawn Im Tired

Once I get my old computer going, I'll be installing Ubuntu, its the only distro that I like.
04-26-2007 02:13 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Verte
Mr. Shuttleworth mentioned recently that he doesn't think Linux is ready for the desktop yet. I think the more important thing is, people don't understand it. I installed Debian on my fathers computer [I'm staying here for a few months, might as well get comfortable] and he still complains that he can't use it, because, for example, he doesn't know how to get his emails. If he took three seconds to look at the screen and see the large envelope on it that opens Evolution, he'd be fine, but there's this big fear of the unknown I guess, and that's the major barrier to entry.

I ordered myself an Ubuntu CD [I can copy it- one is enough], I mostly want to put it on my mother and sisters computer and see how they go, and it'd be great for those "well, I've always wanted to try Linux" conversations. I carry other Linux live CDs, but if I was going to actually install one on a non-technical users computer it would probably have to be Ubuntu or Xubuntu.

The Source of this information where he said thiis would be Great .

This post was edited on 04-26-2007 at 03:07 AM by Hank.
04-26-2007 03:06 AM
Verte

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:
Originally posted by Verte
Mr. Shuttleworth mentioned recently that he doesn't think Linux is ready for the desktop yet.

The Source of this information where he said thiis would be Great .

http://derstandard.at/?id=2845484&_index=3
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
04-26-2007 03:39 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
ok, now you've done that, , is this Comment from Canonical or from Billy Gates impersonating Canonical .. if i remember Redhat made some statement similiar to that a few years ago, but IMO even if Canonical Made tht statement, wouldnt suprise me since he's using a Windows Like installer in Ubuntu
04-26-2007 03:47 AM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: