What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers)

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers)
Author: Message:
segosa
Community's Choice

O.P. What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers)
This is the first time an episode of Lost has made me want to actually discuss it. The episode I'm talking about is the one shown this week on American TV:

3x19 - After abandoning the Others, Locke takes Sawyer on a trek through the jungle to help him eliminate a common enemy. Meanwhile, back at the beach, the parachutist Naomi has crucial information about flight 815.

So really, now they're basically telling us that everyone on that island is dead and it's some form of afterlife? I remember reading a thread a long while back contemplating what might really be going on and someone said that perhaps they're all dead. I didn't think they'd have actually done that, because it would render everything that's happened there pointless, because, well, they're all DEAD.

Of course, maybe they're not dead. Maybe it's just a way of raising more questions. But I doubt it, after all, certain things seem to make sense now. Like why Locke can walk, why people are suddenly fertile when they're on the island, why... well, everything. But if they're actually dead, then what happens if they 'die' when they're dead?

Oh well, at least Lost is progressing. I was getting a bit annoyed by how slowly it was going.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
05-04-2007 03:03 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers)
quote:
Originally posted by segosa
Of course, maybe they're not dead. Maybe it's just a way of raising more questions.
I personally think that they indeed are not dead. They want us to believe that they are by placing 'the parachutist Naomi' who was in a helicopter crash and by focusing on Locke who ofcourse the island has had the largest influence on - i think it's a bit of an easy way out by explaining it as an afterlife of some sort...

Locke's father says that he was in an ambulance (or something) and some guy started laughing and injected him with something and then he blacked out and the next thing he was on the island... Could he not have just been drugged and brought to the island by the 'others' for another purpose (you can never tell what the hell is going on in the heads of the 'others' :p - obviously it was somehow related to Locke, or even Sawyer?).

quote:
...certain things seem to make sense now. Like ... why people are suddenly fertile when they're on the island...
I don't understand how being dead makes you fertile, if anything it would make you infertile as it can't be possible to give birth to a living baby in the afterlife can it? But then again, maybe this is what the Others steal the mothers for - to kill the baby or something so they can be born into this world of dead people <-- seems like a stupid idea, but then again: hey! it's Lost.

quote:
Oh well, at least Lost is progressing.
I wouldn't count on it, knowing Lost this is probably the last they mention on the topic before something random comes out of nowhere to distract us from this.

This post was edited on 05-04-2007 at 03:15 PM by Volv.
05-04-2007 03:14 PM
segosa
Community's Choice

O.P. RE: RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers)
quote:
Originally posted by Volv

quote:
...certain things seem to make sense now. Like ... why people are suddenly fertile when they're on the island...
I don't understand how being dead makes you fertile, if anything it would make you infertile as it can't be possible to give birth to a living baby in the afterlife can it?

What I meant by that was, that by being dead anything can happen. Because the events of the island aren't really taking place, so to speak, you can easily be fertile because it's not really happening. It's the afterlife, it's "larger" than life, it's supernatural, or whatever. Dunno.
05-04-2007 04:14 PM
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
its a giant red herring if you ask me:P

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
05-04-2007 04:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
o.0   people still watch that?

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
05-04-2007 04:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
segosa
Community's Choice

O.P. RE: RE: What the hell are they doing in Lost? (Spoilers)
quote:
Originally posted by ICD
o.0   people still watch that?

Yes, great, you ask a question like that to basically say that you think it sucks.

Of course people watch it, else it would have been cancelled by now.
05-04-2007 05:07 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
I'm not sure. I read somewhere that they're not dead - the producers of the show said it themselves.

I had a theory about the bodies being recovered as some sort of cover-up, but then, they'dve just killed everyone on the crash if that was the case.

They're making 7 series, so it's only like 3 and a half years till we find out. :P
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
05-04-2007 08:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
They are not dead, the idea of them being dead was brought up as a theory by the fans during series one, and was debunked by the creators.

Cooper probably thought that's what was going on, he says he was in a car crash, and the next thing he knew, he was on an Island. Just in the same way that everyone was knocked out when they crashed on the plane, the way that Juliette had to be knocked out to get to the Island, Naomi was unconcious when they found her, Desmond got knocked out and his first memory was being dragged to the hatch by Kelvin.

They claim that the plane wreckage was found, but DHARMA seems to be intent on keeping the Island a secret, so with all their money, it wouldn't be too hard to put a plane 4 miles underwater where they can't bring it to the surface of the water and only robotos can go and see it. So maybe it was just a way to stop the search for the survivors to uncover the island.

Also, Penny may have known the coordinates because she is the daughter of the owner of Widmore Industries, the same company who provided the pregnancy tests, and sponsored Henry Gale's balloon ride, so Widmore is obviously involved in some way, shape, or form.

This post was edited on 05-04-2007 at 09:08 PM by saralk.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
05-04-2007 09:03 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
* Chris4 misses Lost :sad:

* Chris4 shoots Virgin Media for not making a deal with Sky to keep Sky One, etc. :@
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
05-05-2007 12:20 AM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Damokun
I thought it had only just been renewed for a fourth? O.o
you're right.
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
05-05-2007 01:46 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend