What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [Release] Log Manager - Version 1.1.008

Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 » Last »
[Release] Log Manager - Version 1.1.008
Author: Message:
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [Release] Log Manager - Version 1.1.008
quote:
Originally posted by nila
I decided to try trouble shoot so just did it with two small files to test - same result.
They're not encrypted at all, just plain.
they're under 100kb each.

computer is 2gb RAM, c2d processor - pretty high spec basically - easily enough for something this basic.
That's very weird. I'm using the same specs (2 GB RAM - C2D) and merging 2 small HTML log files works flawlessly. You are sure that they are log files, uh? Because merging web pages won't work, I'm afraid. :P
quote:
Originally posted by nila
How do you get log manager to merge files?
I downloaded the scripting manually and couldn't see anything about it there, where did you get the info for about it?
The merging process is all in "_mergeProcess.js". It's a class which handles everything. I wrote it myself, and when you study the code, you'll see that it relies on file change detections for checking if one step is finished. I wish I could get Patchou to write some kind of manager himself, since he wrote the log file encryption thingy himself. :P At least, I guess that he could do a much better job with his C++ than I can with JScript.
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
01-02-2008 03:41 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
nila

RE: [Release] Log Manager - Version 1.1.008
I've tried this with a bunch of files now and its failing with every single one of them.
The top status bar which shows complete says 'Copying Merged.html'

Bottom now says 'Overall status: 83.3% completed'

I've left it overnight even and no change.
01-03-2008 12:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Matti
Elite Member

31 / Male / Flag
That's interesting. This is actually the end phase of the process where it tries to copy the merged file, stored in a temporary location, to the final destination.
  • Does the destination file already exist? Normally, it should delete that file first, but we better check everything...
  • Could you check that, during the merging process, the following file is present:
    quote:
    XP: C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp\Log Manager\Merged.html
    Vista: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\Log Manager\Merged.html
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

01-03-2008 06:01 PM
nila

ok - went to 'Local Settings\temp' and tried it and it hung at the same spot and no 'Log Manager' folder appeared during the process.

I created the folder manually and the file appeared in it but again it hung at the same point.
The file in it was the merged file but it just stayed there and the output file never appeared.

Seems like its having some issues with the file system and making folders and files on it I'd say at a guess?
There should be no permission errors on the drive and i've never had any other programs have any problems  with it.
01-03-2008 09:49 PM
Matti
Elite Member

31 / Male / Flag
Yes, that looks like some sort of error with the files or the file system indeed. Quite odd, because the script was tested on XP and none of my testers reported problems with it.

I already found that the script doesn't check if the folder exists, as it uses the same folder for the encryption and decryption. A stupid mistake of me, yes, but because the same thing seems to happen when you create the folder yourself, the cause should lie somewhere else... unfortunately, I can't figure out where at the moment. :(

Well, since it hangs on the last step, I think you can try to copy the temporary file manually to your destination. My apologies for all this trouble, nila. Life of a script developer can be tough. :P

01-04-2008 09:08 AM
kiljaeden

40 / Male / Flag
Hi, I just dropped by to say I have the exact same problem as nila. I tried out some of the workarounds and it was helpful. This script would have been perfect if it doesn't hang at 83.3%. Still, using the workarounds, it's still very useful. Thanks for the script!

Cheers.
07-04-2008 04:26 PM
kiljaeden

40 / Male / Flag
I found out another thing: in the merged HTML file, any of the non-English characters such as ϋ and ғ don't appear correctly - instead it's just weird boxes or ??? in their places.

Edit: Ok those characters don't appear properly in this thread as well, but you get what I mean. :D

This post was edited on 07-04-2008 at 05:42 PM by kiljaeden.
07-04-2008 04:29 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
Small bug:  In the English language file there is still a dutch (?) phrase in there for the script menu.  "Logboeken samenvoegen" is included instead of "Merge Logs"

This can be easily fixed by editing English.xml, found in the "Languages" folder.

Also, the file doesn't appear to download as a PLSC, but it instead gets converted into a zip.

Maybe add it to the scripts database?
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5220 days, 21 hours, 8 minutes, 3 seconds ago
08-21-2008 10:58 AM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
Hooray for old threads. Anyway, after having sorted my logs by month for ages, I am now converting them all to per-contact sorting. As you know, when you sort by month, the log files are all saved according to the e-mail of the contact, and when sorting by contact, the files are named according to month and year. With 200+ contacts and logs going back to 2006 (also got the old, pre-MP!L logs, more on that later), this is still a lengthy process, even using your merger. My suggestion/request/question is, would it be possible to make an automated "sort by month -> sort by e-mail" converter? If there is one already available, could someone point me at the right direction?

Also, I have tons of old log files (before MP!L was released, Plus! logged in .txt). Any chance those can be merged with the new Live logs?
[Image: signature.php]
10-12-2008 08:14 AM
Matti
Elite Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
Also, I have tons of old log files (before MP!L was released, Plus! logged in .txt). Any chance those can be merged with the new Live logs?
Theoretically, it could be possible, but it'd be very hard. In the old chat logs, long names are cut off which can cause a lot of trouble trying to detect which person wrote which message. There'd also be a problem when trying to convert the standard emoticon codes to images, as the Images folder in each log folder is filled by Plus! itself and you can't rely on having a certain image present in that folder because the file names (e.g. MsgPlus_Img1337.png) doesn't tell you the original code and/or the contact who sent it. And retrieving the smiley image is no option when you have logs dating from a few years ago.

As for your first suggestion... I understand you want a tool to convert a structure like this:
code:
August 2008
   - someone@hotmail.com
   - somebody@hotmail.com
July 2008
   - somebody@hotmail.com
to:
code:
someone@hotmail.com
   - August 2008
   - July 2008
somebody@hotmail.com
   - July 2008
and vice versa? That's a very good suggestion, but...

Unfortunately, I stopped working on this project a long time ago. This was because of the fact that the actual encryption/decryption process was coded in a crappy way which has already caused a lot of trouble to some users. The main problem is that there's no real way for me to be able to keep track of how far the encryption process has progressed, since it completely relies on a single tool delivered by Plus! (the MPTools.exe). Also, the fact that it's a Plus! Live script, it has to share its memory and CPU usage with Messenger and other scripts which makes it lag a lot.

It would be great if I could learn how to code real standalone programs in C++ or C# or whatever and make it complete with asynchronous calls and scheduled events, but I simply don't have the skills and equipment for that yet. Log Manager really doesn't have a great advantage being integrated in Messenger, so it'd really be awesome if I could pull this off as a "real" program. But don't get your hopes too high - it may still take a few years until that happens. As for the time being, I'll concentrate on simple Plus! Live scripting and web development... remember: I'm only 16! :P

This post was edited on 10-12-2008 at 08:41 AM by Matti.

10-12-2008 08:32 AM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: