What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Got school laptop, but its restricted..

Pages: (9): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] 9 » Last »
Got school laptop, but its restricted..
Author: Message:
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted..
quote:
Originally posted by Steven
They are all incredibly stupid and they wont notice anything that i leave on the desktop. And Ill know when to give it back to them, so thats when ill delete some programs. Nothign to worry about on my part.
What about the fact that you've removed the hard drive protection system which they installed?
09-14-2007 05:13 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
They are all incredibly stupid and they wont notice anything that i leave on the desktop. And Ill know when to give it back to them, so thats when ill delete some programs. Nothign to worry about on my part.
coming from you...
09-14-2007 05:14 PM
Steven

Phillup you little devil you/..

30 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted..
Toddy just stop posting
[Image: sig2ni2.gif] 
09-14-2007 05:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Toddy just stop posting
why, truth hurting ?

p.s.
you may have noticed that i'm not the only one pionting out you shouldn't be messing about with your schools property
09-14-2007 05:23 PM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
Ok, well this is probably my last post in this thread since it doesn't seem to be going any where.

I think that the students at your school have been given a privilege by having access to your own laptops for your studies, most schools don't offer this type of thing at all.

I also find it somewhat despicable that you're trying to exploit the fact that you've been given this thing to aid in your education.
If you want a fully functional laptop then buy your own - you'll be able to do everything you want plus you'll be able to do your school work. Dont abuse your privileges.
09-14-2007 05:25 PM
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
"Hi guys, my school doesn't think that I can be trusted with a computer that is their property and is only being loaned to me on the proviso that I don't mess about on it and use it for work only.

When I try and install any program (even the program that makes sure my clock is always accurate and gives me the weather all for free!!) it is gone when I restart the PC.

I want to prove that I can be trusted with a computer by breaking the trust and getting these restrictions that are in place to protect me and the school from any liability, please help me lol, I am really good at making sure things are safe so I wont break it. Just the other day, I dropped my computer and it broke, but now it works, which basically proves that I can be trusted."
That made my day saralk :D

And yes, Volv is correct. They don't give you a laptop to mess around with it. ;)
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
09-14-2007 05:56 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
For once toddy is completely right and was able to speak nicely until you reached the exhaustion of any men's patience. You shouldn't do that in first place, but if you are determined to break the rules, you should only do it if you have the expertise to breach the security and retrieve it once you give the laptop back, which apparently you don't.

If you still want to break the rules and are willing to spend some money :

- Make a backup of all drivers just in case you can't get them from the internet later.
- Get a screwdriver and unplug the hard drive from the computer. Keep it in a safe place, inside a sealed plastic bag.
- Buy a new hard drive. Watch out for its size and interface. They are not the same size as conventional hard drives, normally they are 2.5". Also look out if they are SATA or IDE hard drives.
- Install Windows and the drivers.
- Once you're done with school, put the old hard drive back.

I will not be held responsible for this and I really think you shouldn't do it, but since it's my opinion that freedom of choice should be given to all of us, choose what's best for you. Remember, everything as consequences.

This post was edited on 09-14-2007 at 06:10 PM by Jhrono.
The world is yours
09-14-2007 06:04 PM
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
Well either do what Jhrono suggested and buy a new hard drive or get an disk imaging application like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, back up the whole HDD and burn it to a DVD, then install a fresh OS.

Just don't mess with it without having a working backup, this could get you in trouble when you have to give the laptop back.

This post was edited on 09-14-2007 at 06:21 PM by andrey.
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
09-14-2007 06:20 PM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:

You think they're stupid, because you managed to play on Desktop Tower Defence in the library when you weren't supposed to, or something.

The IT staff in schools are actually quite switched on, they just don't give a shit about most of the things you do/can't be arsed to fix the printer.

However, they will get pissed off if you do something like that, so don't.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
09-14-2007 07:17 PM
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
If they were so stupid how could they install this protection and why can't you remove it?
09-14-2007 07:38 PM
Pages: (9): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] 9 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: