What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Dreams of becoming a DJ..

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Dreams of becoming a DJ..
Author: Message:
Exca

Not illiteral, just ignoring you

36 / Male / –
RE: Dreams of becoming a DJ..
Allright, I saw your PM Jhrono, bit late but yes i'm not active here anymore.

I'm in the "business" for years now and this hobby is becoming my life at this point so this is what I recommend. 

Don't spend money on a speakers/amplifier, spend it on music or other more important gear. Playing on loud volumes will not help you to become a dj, and you'll start at home probably where you're not able to turn up the volume anyway (and I mean REALLY turn up the volume as that's what a pro soundsystem is made for). Also, stay away from very professional and expensive gear like Pioneer, Denon, Allan&Heath. When you're a beginning DJ it's for your own good you get on with semi-professional gear. This means gear which is somewhere in the middle if you look at the pricetag. This way you didn't loose a fortune if it seems that it wasn't really a hobby ment for you after all. If it ís, then it will help you to become a dj, and learn you all basics you need to know to become one. When you feel like you have learned enough, when you're about to spin on location and when at about the same time your gear is getting older... it's time to upgrade to more quality gear with more features, rings and bells.

What is the type of gear you need to buy? Well there is so much choice when it comes to semi-pro gear. If you buy turntables; be sure they are at least Direct Drive. In this segment you likely have turntables in 'models'... the same turntable with a weak or a strong motor which you can derivate from the model number in many cases.
If you buy a mixer; look at what you want to spend and then compare all the options. The mixer which gives the most for the money is mostly the one with the less quality. Read opinions of people who bought the mixers and base your choice upon those two things. If you buy a CD-player, make sure it has hotstart/instant start and shock memory. Else you just wasted your money...

Headphones are less important. Choose one which suits you. This is a very personal choice like choosing your girlfriend. The cheaper headphones will do for home. When you want one for on the road; you'll pay in many cases 3x the price of a cheap one.

To come back on your soundsystem. Speakers and amp can be done by any speakers/amp. Even with a 5.1 surround system if you want to. This is good enough for home as you won't use professional speakers more than a surround system which is wasted money. If you get a party, make sure people get gear for you and do not bring your own. If it's a private party for your friends you can still hire. By the time you get professional you can buy a professional system for those occasions. I have one and I don't use it ;) it would be idiot to bring them down in clubs who are already fully equiped.

This post is very general. Let me know what you're up to.

Greets

But that is my opinion!

[Image: djexcaround.gif]
10-19-2007 06:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: