What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Skinning » Please, no [request] threads

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Please, no [request] threads
Author: Message:
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Please, no [request] threads
Bah @ spammers

I noticed the request thread(s) are getting spammed with seconded, thirded etc already...and i believe half of them do it just to spam. Maybe request threads should have a poll by default (if possible) for people to vote (yes/no) on it?

This post was edited on 12-11-2007 at 02:08 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
12-11-2007 02:07 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
addendum:

maybe it isn't a bad idea to also make a Releases subforum. Because there are already many [release] threads and [Preview]/[Beta] threads.

If they are moved to a Releases subforum, then it would be a bit less chaos, and the questions about skinning can be found quicker.

Because the skinning forum gets bigger and bigger, repeated threads are starting to pop up (eg: I just saw 4 threads all about shaping windows)...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-01-2008 02:31 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
yeah i agree with you cookie last night i mustve seen atleast 2 threads about changing text colour in contact list, skinning is so popular and everyone has so many questions about it that as you say the posts keep mounting up.
01-01-2008 09:37 AM
kezz

'kezz.,

32 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Please, no [request] threads
Advertise Willz' Guide to Skinning!
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=79906
That should solve most problems. Possibly make that thread sticky so that it is at first glance for most people looking for answers.

quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
yeah i agree with you cookie last night i mustve seen atleast 2 threads about changing text colour in contact list, skinning is so popular and everyone has so many questions about it that as you say the posts keep mounting up.
[Image: 2764.png]
[Image: internet.png]
01-01-2008 10:24 AM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
Willz guide isn't finished and available yet, when it is I'm sure he'll have the sense to create a new thread with some nice formatting and links to each section. that will be stickied.
01-01-2008 07:37 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Willz guide isn't finished and available yet, when it is I'm sure he'll have the sense to create a new thread with some nice formatting and links to each section. that will be stickied.

Yeah thats right, that thread was just put up as a means of people giving me feedback and to let people know what I am at.

When the thing is actually complete I will make a more official thread for it. :P
01-01-2008 10:53 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Kezzinator29
Advertise Willz' Guide to Skinning!
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=79906
That should solve most problems. Possibly make that thread sticky so that it is at first glance for most people looking for answers.
No, it will not solve the problems talked about in this thread.

Having guides or tuts isn't the point. The point is that many threads are created (and still will be created, eventhough there are excellent guides/tuts) which are about the same subject. The only reason for those double threads is that people can't immediatly "see" a similar thread and thus create a new one. And this is not going to be less in the future, in fact it will only increase.

If the [release] threads are moved to their own subforum, the normal [question] threads would be easier to spot.

PS: And talking about double threads. Why must there explicitly be yet another thread to anounce the completeness of Willz' skinning guide? Updating the first post in the existing thread would be just as good. If not better, since all the information would be centralised in 1 thread instead of dispersed over many. Because, and I want to bet my laptop over this, there will be updates and people will post improvements and/or suggestions, making this new thread no different than the already existing thread. If you simply add a new post to that thread, the thread would be put in front too.

It is another manner if there is just one sticky post which links to all the available tutorials (Willz', but also inlcuding others). But yet another thread about the exact same thing? Please no... The point that there is a Requests forum is to create some order in the otherwise mismatch of threads, so people can easier find what they are looking for. Creating double threads is going right against this very philosophy.

This post was edited on 01-02-2008 at 12:42 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-02-2008 12:28 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
kezz

'kezz.,

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Advertise Willz' Guide
Having guides or tuts isn't the point. The point is that many threads are created (and still will be created, eventhough there are excellent guides/tuts) which are about the same subject. The only reason for those double threads is that people can't immediatly "see" a similar thread and thus create a new one. And this is not going to be less in the future, in fact it will only increase.

These threads that are about the same subject are, more often than not, questions on how to skin, or "I have this problem, what do I do?" Splitting the '[request]' threads into a separate sub=forum was one step to cleaning up this section. Why bother cleaning up the 'double-threads-about-the-same-subject', when you can almost eliminate them by putting this guide at the very top. That is the point.
[Image: 2764.png]
[Image: internet.png]
01-02-2008 01:56 AM
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Advertise Willz' Guide

These threads that are about the same subject are, more often than not, questions on how to skin, or "I have this problem, what do I do?" Splitting the '[request]' threads into a separate sub=forum was one step to cleaning up this section. Why bother cleaning up the 'double-threads-about-the-same-subject', when you can almost eliminate them by putting this guide at the very top. That is the point.

at poresent putting willz guide at the top wont change anything as he hasnt really covered that much in the extensive world of skinning as yet, maybe when he has done like 50 chapters then yeah it might acheive what your suggesting however i doubt itll ever solve the problem completely, theres always going to be things people want to know how to do and the whole reason willz was creating the guide is because he doesnt have the free time required to skin anymore so wanted to pass his knowledge on this means developement of the guide will always be slower than the developement of the skin developers who as they develope will continue to pst help threads for problems of ever increasing complexity.

just my opinion mind you but hey there you go.
01-02-2008 05:56 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: