What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Skinning » WLM Test Tool

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
WLM Test Tool
Author: Message:
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. WLM Test Tool
Since sometimes you will require signing in in order to check whether a part of your skin works or not, this is of course very difficult to do if you don't have an internet connection. So what if some sort of tool was made that allows you to "sign in" to a fake msn, and you would be able to look at all the elements of a contact list, various windows, conversations, etc - I would think that would be a very useful tool for skin developers if it were made.
12-10-2007 01:42 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
RE: WLM Test Tool
Useful but hard, Something in my head is screaming Office Live Communicator but i don't know why at all
12-10-2007 01:57 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
this could be a good tool especially if it could simulate multiple versions of messenger that way you wouldnt have to uninstall one messenger and install another just to test your skins.
12-11-2007 03:47 PM
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
Good idea. Would also save signing in and out multiple times. (Y)
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
12-11-2007 04:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
Just get a separate account for testing only, or use an old one etc and sign in as offline, you can add your normal email and use that to test pop ups and convo windows with etc
12-11-2007 05:26 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
question: theres no way to have more than one version of messenger installed on a single pc so how do you test across multiple versions without having to constantly install and uninstall various versions of messenger?
12-11-2007 05:33 PM
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
question: theres no way to have more than one version of messenger installed on a single pc so how do you test across multiple versions without having to constantly install and uninstall various versions of messenger?
Question: do you not use plus or just too naive to look in the preferrences?
Oh ok, my bad, misunderstood.

This post was edited on 12-11-2007 at 06:02 PM by Oxy.
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
12-11-2007 05:37 PM
duck!

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Oxy
quote:
ya, that feature opens up the same version of messenger, not a different version =/
QUACK QUACK QUACK

12-11-2007 05:47 PM
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Oxy
quote:

the options in plus's preferences enable me to use multiple instances of messenger so i can sign in with say 2 or 3 different accounts at the same time but if im doing that all on one pc each instance will still only be the messenger 8.5 i cannot have 8.0, 8.1 and 8.5 all installed on the same pc and run all 3 versions simultaniously atleast as far as i know, i have just downloaded installed for 8.0 and 8.1 so if you can tell me how to have all 3 versions of messenger installed on a single pc and run them all side by side i would be more than happy to test the skin im developing on all those 3 versions.
12-11-2007 05:52 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Idea may be nice but it is also as good as totally impossible.

Especially if you want something which simulates multiple versions without installing/uninstalling Messenger.

You actually would end up recreating each and every Messenger from scratch. Everything would exactly be the same, except for the connection part.

Thus all this is not possible.

A more "easier" (read: very relative easy, aka: still extremely hard) way is to create a program which simulates the protocol/internet traffic. A proxy so to speak, but which runs locally on your computer as the backbone server to witch the existing messenger programs can connect.

Such a local protocol/switchboard server would be usefull for testing certain parts of Plus! too (and translating for example), etc. Although it would never be able to replace the real thing of course.

-----

Anyways, to be realistic, such a tool will never be made. Or will never be practical to use. The best thing you can do is as you've always done: connecting to the real thing and testing everything on the real thing.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-11-2007 05:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: