What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Skinning » Skin Requests » Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible?

Pages: (6): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible?
Author: Message:
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible?
As I stated in this thread: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=79851&page=1 I believe the skinning engine is powerful but not enough, although of course this is the start and better skins will come out.

The question is would it be possible (and does someone want to atempt it) to make a skin like this:

[Image: msnmessenger20screenshoeq5.jpg]

Thats right: Make WLM 8.5/9.0 look like MSN Messenger 2.0!
Reasons: None but it would really prove the power of the skinning engine IMO and hey maybe someone does want a very MINIMAL Messenger like old times.

Somone willing to do this?

This post was edited on 12-15-2007 at 02:07 PM by riahc4.
12-15-2007 02:04 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible?
One problem would be the classic Windows style. In Messenger 2.0, there were no UIFILEs, but now we have to use UIFILEs for our GUI. So you can't say: "Hey there, Messenger GUI Engine! Can you please f*ck off with your UIFILEs, I want to use a simple Windows style without those fancy PNGs and stuff!".

Of course, you can make a Windows 95-alike window using UIFILEs, but it won't take the style from Windows itself but from the GUI. But I think it'd look cool to have an old looking Messenger running on Vista, so I don't think that'd be a problem. :P

I may want to try this, if I really don't find any inspiration for a skin. At the moment, I'm at the point of "What shall I try, and what can I do?". I already tried to install Wave11 MSN for 7.5 to extract the resources and attempt revive it but the UIFILEs were unreadable (i.e., no line breaks and I cba to add them).
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
12-15-2007 02:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
Using the current Messenger GUI framework, you cannot develop a Windows window, but you can make it look like one. But it will never be a genuine window. For example if you change theme color or something, the Messenger windows will still look the same.
MSN Messenger 2 doesn't use UIFILEs (as far as I know), so you cannot view them, or port them over. :(

Mattike: What editor did you use? You might've used an editor which couldn't read the line breaks.
12-15-2007 02:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by vikke
Mattike: What editor did you use? You might've used an editor which couldn't read the line breaks.
Nope, the cause is that the skinners tried to get their resources as small as possible. Therefore, they removed the tabbing and line breaks in their UIFILEs. Unfortunately, The Messenger Lab died some years ago and I haven't had contact with either Fizical or theunknown since then... Also, it seems like Wave11 MSN used a lot of gradients instead of PNGs and I have no clue if those would still work on WLM 8.5. But well, I'd give it a try if someone could "beautify" the UIFILEs. (I have them extracted, give a ring if you want to try and "decode" them :P)
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
12-15-2007 02:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible?
Difficult but a challenge. I believe it would be intresting if somone could pull this off.
12-15-2007 07:34 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
Difficult but a challenge. I believe it would be intresting if somone could pull this off.

I could do it.

It's not that difficult but yeah it'd just look like msgr2 in a gui way, it wouldn't be all in built icons into a toolbar etc.

what was the chat window like?
12-15-2007 08:57 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4

I could do it.

It's not that difficult but yeah it'd just look like msgr2 in a gui way, it wouldn't be all in built icons into a toolbar etc.

what was the chat window like?
Kinda like windows messenger, but a bit more "old"
12-15-2007 09:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo

Ya know..... some members seem to get dumber each day :( that really doesn't help me make a skin just saying old. 8-)

Can you provide a screenshot of the chat window?

This post was edited on 12-15-2007 at 09:58 PM by aNILEator.
12-15-2007 09:57 PM
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible?
quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
quote:
Originally posted by vikke
Nope, the cause is that the skinners tried to get their resources as small as possible. Therefore, they removed the tabbing and line breaks in their UIFILEs. Unfortunately, The Messenger Lab died some years ago and I haven't had contact with either Fizical or theunknown since then... Also, it seems like Wave11 MSN used a lot of gradients instead of PNGs and I have no clue if those would still work on WLM 8.5. But well, I'd give it a try if someone could "beautify" the UIFILEs. (I have them extracted, give a ring if you want to try and "decode" them :P)

Gradients still exist in 8.5 so there is no need to worry there.
12-16-2007 12:08 AM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible?
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo

Ya know..... some members seem to get dumber each day :( that really doesn't help me make a skin just saying old. 8-)

Can you provide a screenshot of the chat window?
Well since 1.0 didnt have webcam features, maybe some of the GUI could also be taken from Windows Messenger, which can be installed on a XP machine.
12-16-2007 07:01 PM
Pages: (6): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: