What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Australia

Pages: (10): « First « 3 4 5 6 [ 7 ] 8 9 10 » Last »
Poll: Is Australia The Best Country?
Yes, its great i love it
No.... there are places much better
Dont know anything about it....
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
5 votes - 3.4 average   Australia
Author: Message:
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
RE: Australia
phillip need to move south
australia rocks we're coming third on this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index but we're failing on this listhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_Internet_access_worldwide lol

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

12-26-2007 08:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Put them together with the racists and let them kill eachother (Smilie) (I didn't meant that... hmmm, maybe I do (Smilie) .... nah....)

LOL nice one cookie :P.

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
We are taught a large deal (in my state of NSW at least) about the Aboriginal peoples including their culture and religion

Yep we sure were.. i remember having to memorise the exact dates for tests :(.

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Bloody aussie heat (Smilie)

:(
Segosa is newb.
12-26-2007 11:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Australia
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
We are taught a large deal (in my state of NSW at least) about the Aboriginal peoples including their culture and religion (even from primary, that is 'elementary', school), as well as history involving the acts of Europeans (Settlement, murdering/hunting, Stolen Generations) and it is often taught in an unbiased manner, perhaps even weighted towards the Aboriginal point of view (at least in my schooling experiences).
Very cool to know this. Thanks for correcting me. As I said, I don't know what's being taught and what not, so....

quote:
Originally posted by markee
I realise you'll try to tell me that I'm beingvery steroetypical
In fact, not at all, I wouldn't dare :p
I 'know' about the many problems with those aboriginal communities. And it is extremely sad how things are going in many of them. But it is also often the job of the goverment to do something about it too (because alone they wouldn't be able to solve it or come out of that circle of mysery). I know in some communities the (local) goverment does stuff about it though. But for what I know this happens to little and is too rare... I even hear that many aboriginals don't even know their own history, so...
Then again, I don't live there, I just follow news and know what people who visit there quite often tell me. You would know way better of course, so if I'm wrong, by all means correct me.

This post was edited on 12-27-2007 at 12:18 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-27-2007 12:12 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I even hear that many aboriginals don't even know their own history, so...
Very true, many of the dreamtime stories have been lost because noone carried them on.

And the funding for these projects needs to be done at a federal level because they are the only ones who could actually be able to afford it and have the power to maintain it.  Our last Prime Minister who was in for over 10 years wasn't very good with his aboriginal policies at all and I really hope that Kevin Rudd will actually put some good things into play.  And I do believe he will finally say sorry on behalf of Australia for the stolen generation, which is very much needed for us to move forward in these issues.
[Image: markee.png]
12-27-2007 02:45 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
God Kevin Rudd... can't believe Australia voted him in =/... hes the worst thing about Australia at the moment :P

And as for saying sorry.. i agree with Howard... we weren't the ones that caused/did the stolen generation - we have nothing to say sorry about personally ourselves. We can be sorry for the situations that happened in the past but i think it would be hypocritical to say sorry for something we didn't cause and i think even the Aboriginals wouldn't really appreciate it cause they'd know it would be purely a political stunt.

This post was edited on 12-27-2007 at 06:20 AM by Chestah.
Segosa is newb.
12-27-2007 06:14 AM
-dt-
Scripting Contest Winner

;o

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by markee
And I do believe he will finally say sorry on behalf of Australia for the stolen generation, which is very much needed for us to move forward in these issues.
I dont think we should be saying sorry, we didn't do it. go find the people who made the choices to do it, and force them to say sorry.

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
God Kevin Rudd... can't believe Australia voted him in =/... hes the worst thing about Australia at the moment :P
I agree, hes a sneaky little thing
[Image: dt2.0v2.png]      Happy Birthday, WDZ
12-27-2007 06:20 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
I dont think we should be saying sorry, we didn't do it. go find the people who made the choices to do it, and force them to say sorry.

As Howard put it also, its not just a simple issue - not all Australians want to apologise for something they didn't do and it would be wrong for the government to make an apology on behalf of the whole country despite not everyone being united in that apology.
Segosa is newb.
12-27-2007 06:25 AM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:

And as for saying sorry.. i agree with Howard... we weren't the ones that caused/did the stolen generation - we have nothing to say sorry about personally ourselves. We can be sorry for the situations that happened in the past but i think it would be hypocritical to say sorry for something we didn't cause and i think even the Aboriginals wouldn't really appreciate it cause they'd know it would be purely a political stunt.

What are you smoking? Kevin rudd is not the worst thing about australia at the moment, infact he is the best thing. Howard and his IR laws had to go, simple as that. Kevin rudd is planning for the future. The voters did the right thing.
12-27-2007 06:34 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
IR laws

ok A) Do you know anyone PERSONALLY that has been disadvantaged by these laws?

B) Have you read the legislation in its entirety?

C) Do you do understand economics and/or law?

If you can't establish these 3 things please go and do them before making a comment on Howard's IR reforms.

The fairness test was a very good test for ensuring the balance between flexibility and fairness between employers and employees. As you can see with our amazingly low unemployment rates the new IR reforms have worked nicely :). Not looking forward to Rudd's roll back (which generally seems to be the labor government's policy when its not copying Howard...) which will most likely increase unemployment :(.

The most annoying thing about the entire election was the fact that people were saying Howard was too old. That is the most frustrating and flawed reason ever for voting out the government that has reduced unemployment to record lows, paid off all the government debt left by the pre-1996 labor government and also brought about the longest sustainable period of economic growth Australia has ever had! And the main consensus? "Oh Howards been in too long.. lets just change for the sake of change" - the stupidest logic i've heard in a long time =/.

This post was edited on 12-27-2007 at 06:45 AM by Chestah.
Segosa is newb.
12-27-2007 06:43 AM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
IR laws

ok A) Do you know anyone PERSONALLY that has been disadvantaged by these laws?

B) Have you read the legislation in its entirety?

C) Do you do understand economics and/or law?

If you can't establish these 3 things please go and do them before making a comment on Howard's IR reforms.

The fairness test was a very good test for ensuring the balance between flexibility and fairness between employers and employees. As you can see with our amazingly low unemployment rates the new IR reforms have worked nicely :). Not looking forward to Rudd's roll back (which generally seems to be the labor government's policy when its not copying Howard...) which will most likely increase unemployment :(.

A- yes

B- no, but i understand the basics of it.

C - yes a bit

The IR laws were good to a few people,like the mining industry but to the minority it was bad. Are you telling me that firing a woker and then offering there job back with lower pay is good? Are you telling me taking away a workers holidays ect and making them work longer for less pay is good?
12-27-2007 06:46 AM
Pages: (10): « First « 3 4 5 6 [ 7 ] 8 9 10 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: