What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Upgrade

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Upgrade
Author: Message:
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Upgrade
My Floppy drive hasn't worked in ages... It's just there for decoration (and to hold the biscuits to go with the cup of tea sitting on my CD drawer :p)

Floppy drives are too small to hold files we now use such as images (at todays quality anyway) or movies, but are good for boot disks for tools  during boot, rather than practically wasting a CD.

On the plus side of it though, it's been a few years since I've had a "Parity B" virus :p

This post was edited on 03-25-2008 at 01:11 AM by Spunky.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
03-25-2008 01:11 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Upgrade
I changed the floppy drive and the cable on it from a PC that had another floppy drive that i know works and it still won't read the disk.  My dad said he was able to read the disk in his work PC.
03-25-2008 03:28 AM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
My Floppy drive hasn't worked in ages... It's just there for decoration (and to hold the biscuits to go with the cup of tea sitting on my CD drawer :p)

Floppy drives are too small to hold files we now use such as images (at todays quality anyway) or movies, but are good for boot disks for tools  during boot, rather than practically wasting a CD.

On the plus side of it though, it's been a few years since I've had a "Parity B" virus :p
floppy disks are good for writting boot infomation onto and rescue tings

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

03-25-2008 06:07 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by YourNeibour
I changed the floppy drive and the cable on it from a PC that had another floppy drive that i know works and it still won't read the disk.  My dad said he was able to read the disk in his work PC.
Do you have the motherboard manual of your PC (where it doesn't work with)? See if something is mentionned about connecting floppy drives. As I said, it could depend on the connector of the cable you used, and sometimes even the length of the cable! Sometimes you need to use a different connector on the cable, and/or set some jumpers (though rare, and this is with old motherboards). Simply using a cable from another PC and connecting it in the same way doesn't always garantuee it will work. It has been a very long time since I installed one, but I do remember that it is one of those (old) things which isn't always straightforward.

EDIT: actually now that I reread it. What do you mean with "disk"? Does the floppy drive work or not? Or is it the floppy disk itself which isn't read? If it is the floppy disk itself, then make sure the floppy disk is formatted properly. It can be that it is  at the end of its life. Try other floppies and/or try to format a brand new one. What is the result of that?

EDIT: fixed some spelling

This post was edited on 07-19-2008 at 08:11 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-25-2008 07:12 AM
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Upgrade
Hi,

No there is is no manual for the motherboard.  The actual floppy disk doesn't work
03-25-2008 01:10 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Use another (newer) floppy disk? (and format it, don't rely on the pre-formatted things)

This post was edited on 03-26-2008 at 06:28 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-26-2008 06:27 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: