What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Skinning » An attempt to stop skin ripping

Pages: (8): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
An attempt to stop skin ripping
Author: Message:
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. An attempt to stop skin ripping
Well on a regular basis I get alerted of people taking my skins and just modifying an image or two and then trying to re-release it as their own work. It is a problem that most of the experienced skinners are getting and quite frankly it is getting annoying.

While we do normally get a good laugh at some of them, for the most part it just annoys us. We put a lot of time and effort into our work so that we may share our creations with the public and it is really frustrating to see someone just disrespect the effort we have made by just taking our work and using it without permission or crediting.

One thing skin rippers do not know is the fact that skins there were created based on another skin unauthorized will not be allowed into the skins database. So it is a waste of time for those wanting to have something in the database.

Now I do understand that skinning is quite difficult as there is no real base to work off and you have to first extract resources and make UIFiles work the way they should. In my early days there where numerous times where I wanted to give up and it was difficult to get a result that worked. But of course editing another persons skin is not the answer as you will never learn anything and could possibly be open to people starting a flame war with you.

Now I wrote the skinning guides in an attempt to squash skin ripping, but of course it is not working as well as it should. I am starting to see that the majority of skin ripping that is occurring is being done by people who know nothing about xml, css or skinning and are too afraid/lazy to try and learn it.

So I am going to work to release everyone a skin in which they can base their skin on, it will essentially be an open source skin that will contain Windows Live Messenger's graphics, but they will be restructured to make things easier for people. It will be multi-version compatible and will be less restricted in the sense that MSNRLE dependency will be non existent. On top of that I will be coding in pre-translated options to make things available to people who do not speak English.

I am hoping that in making this skin, it will help combat the rising problem in skin ripping. With the Messenger Plus! skinning contest coming soon, the last thing I want to see is thousands of skin rips entering the database.

Of course with this skin there will be restrictions, in order to use the skin you must keep the credit that appears in the skin. This credit simply thanks all those involved (myself and my translation team).

Anyway I am hoping this will lift the standard of skins and will make skin ripping non-existent.

Thoughts and comments on this are appreciated. I would like to hear input on those who would be interested in seeing this happen. Please keep in mind its going to be a long road to get this working, so please be patient.

Status updates of the project will be posted via http://designevolved.net and I will be checking both this page and the one on the design evolved forums for comments etc.

Willz

This post was edited on 04-05-2008 at 04:27 AM by Willz.
04-05-2008 04:25 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping
I hope this works because i too would be annoyed if someone were to take my work, change some pieces of it and name it their own. This is something that must be combated, and good on you for trying your best, i hope things work out like you want them to.
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
04-05-2008 04:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
I agree with you that skin ripping should not occur, i tried to skin myself but i gave up, didn't have the time or the patience for it at the time, will possibly try again soon, i also agree with you releasing an open source skin as a new gateway for people to get into it without ripping off others :)
...there used to be a signature here :)
04-05-2008 06:56 AM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
I think when you make this that it should be included with plus! or as an optional download when looking at the skinning preferences (like the skinning documentation).

This is one of the best ideas I have heard in a long time, good work (y)
[Image: markee.png]
04-05-2008 07:07 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
Me a victim of skin ripping :)

And yay, time for me to explore some new features :P
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6553 days, 23 hours, 42 minutes, 37 seconds ago.

04-05-2008 11:56 AM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
It's a good idea in theory but I dont think it will work.
The skin-rippers will still be too lazy to build something of their own even if they have the basis with which to do it, and the skinners who actually want to learn will be bred into a group of skinners which are dependent on this base skin to create everything and will inadvertently limit creativity and originality within the community.

This post was edited on 04-05-2008 at 03:12 PM by Volv.
04-05-2008 03:12 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
maybe there could be some "mods" system that lets people modify existing skins and only distribute the differences? then the original author would be credited, people new to writing skins could have a good base to start theirs on, and if somebody didn't like a part of a skin, they could change (and even distribute the change) without modifying the original. it's win-win-win

[Image: attachment.php?pid=900616]

.jpg File Attachment: skinsmods.jpg (21.67 KB)
This file has been downloaded 809 time(s).

This post was edited on 04-05-2008 at 03:20 PM by ShawnZ.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
04-05-2008 03:16 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
maybe there could be some "mods" system that lets people modify existing skins and only distribute the differences? then the original author would be credited, people new to writing skins could have a good base to start theirs on, and if somebody didn't like a part of a skin, they could change (and even distribute the change) without modifying the original. it's win-win-win

[Image: attachment.php?pid=900616]
I'm with shawnz!
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

04-05-2008 03:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
Good idea, but I don't know how hard it would be to implement
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
04-05-2008 03:26 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member