What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » This will convince you?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
This will convince you?
Author: Message:
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
RE: This will convince you?
Just to mention, it can be a little hard for a Brazilian to understand PT-PT the first time you read something. But any person, with the smallest IQ, can deduct what that means.
I'm sure that the same happens with Spanish speakers, and who speaks French, Dutch, and every single language. Each culture has its own vocabulary.

About the Chinese, if I'm not wrong, there are 2 alphabets (sets of ideograms), what is a good reason for 2 translations.

BTW, the royal family arrived in Salvador in 1808, which means 200 years ago. You'd better study more the history of you country.
BTW2, what's the point with that argument?? It may prove that the king was a coward, but doesn't mean Brazil was better than Portugal. And 200 years ago the Internet didn't even exist!

This post was edited on 08-27-2008 at 07:47 PM by Chancer.
08-27-2008 07:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
About the Chinese, if I'm not wrong, there are 2 alphabets (sets of ideograms), what is a good reason for 2 translations.
you're correct.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
08-27-2008 09:26 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: This will convince you?
quote:
Just to mention, it can be a little hard for a Brazilian to understand PT-PT the first time you read something. But any person, with the smallest IQ, can deduct what that means.
I'm sure that the same happens with Spanish speakers, and who speaks French, Dutch, and every single language. Each culture has its own vocabulary.
So it's like when a Scotsman goes to London? Or when F. Canadians refuse to say four-twenty etc?

Perhaps, if it's not too much (which I guess it might be) some sort of differencing engine might be used. The one which really gets me in English is color vs. colour. :)
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
08-27-2008 10:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Le@ndro

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: This will convince you?
quote:

BTW, the royal family arrived in Salvador in 1808, which means 200 years ago. You'd better study more the history of you country.
BTW2, what's the point with that argument?? It may prove that the king was a coward, but doesn't mean Brazil was better than Portugal. And 200 years ago the Internet didn't even exist!

Yes, it's 1808 when the royal family arrived in Salvador. I put wrong because when I wrote that was with few time, and I change with the arreved of the official japanese imigration(much history can be bad:P).

In the important thing: in some cases isn't very easy to understand the pt-pt. If a person see "Ecrã", and don't know what is it, it's dificult to discover. And have many diferences between the portugueses in the tecnology, in Brazil we talk Arquivo(File), in Portugal is Ficheiro, in Brazil is Telefone(cell phone), in Portugal is Telemóvel, and have more.

And if the Microsoft made a PT-BR version of Windows Live Messenger, why Messenger Plus! can't have? Has Microsoft products that arives in Brazil before Portugal. Don't have reason to prefer PT-PT. The most part of portuguese speakers of Plus! are brazilian.

And to end: If you do a test to enter in a university in Brazil using the PT-PT, probably you can't pass in the written part.

ps: I don't stop with this subject because you don't convince me that is better have Portugal Portuguese in the installer.
08-28-2008 12:18 AM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
Theres nothing stopping people making a translation file themselves and distributing it AFAIK. I believe that if it's good enough it could be included anyway(?). I do know that the British English language file wasn't included and there are some differences in that too as well as the spelling of a few choice words IIRC
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
08-28-2008 12:50 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chancer

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Le@ndro
If you do a test to enter in a university in Brazil using the PT-PT, probably you can't pass in the written part.
And do you think that you can pass in Portugal because you speak Brazilian Portuguese? Bad argument.
quote:
I don't stop with this subject because you don't convince me that is better have Portugal Portuguese in the installer.
Do you convince us?

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
Theres nothing stopping people making a translation file themselves and distributing it AFAIK.
Of course not. That's what I do.

This post was edited on 08-28-2008 at 12:54 AM by Chancer.
08-28-2008 12:50 AM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
ps: I don't stop with this subject because you don't convince me that is better have Portugal Portuguese in the installer.
there's no reason for us to convince you of anything. that's what patchou said and that's the way it works around here.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
08-28-2008 12:56 AM
Le@ndro

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: This will convince you?
quote:
quote:
If you do a test to enter in a university in Brazil using the PT-PT, probably you can't pass in the written part.
And do you think that you can pass in Portugal because you speak Brazilian Portuguese? Bad argument.
No, I don't think that I can pass. I said it to show that the diferences make diference in some cases.

quote:
quote:
I don't stop with this subject because you don't convince me that is better have Portugal Portuguese in the installer.
Do you convince us?
I'm trying.

Eu sou brasileiro e não desisto nunca
08-28-2008 01:46 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
In the important thing: in some cases isn't very easy to understand the pt-pt. If a person see "Ecrã", and don't know what is it, it's dificult to discover. And have many diferences between the portugueses in the tecnology, in Brazil we talk Arquivo(File), in Portugal is Ficheiro, in Brazil is Telefone(cell phone), in Portugal is Telemóvel, and have more.
Similar things happen in other languages too. For example, in Dutch you have two major sublanguages: Dutch from Belgium and Dutch from the Netherlands. Although they share the same language, both countries have sometimes their own words for some stuff. And even in such a way that an X in the Netherlands means something completely different than X in Belgium. Or that Y isn't a known word in Belgium or Z isn't know in the Netherlands.

Bottom line is that they share the exact same language and that there is a common language, that is what we call 'General Dutch'. And if 'General Dutch' is used, both Belgians and people from the Netherlands should/will understand that. You just need to avoid the words which might be interpreted differently.

The difference with Dutch and Portuguese might be that in Dutch technical terms are almost always exactly the same in Belgium as in the Netherlands (though, not always, but those are rare), whereas in PT-PT and PT-BR the differences might be very common.

But still, it is the same language.

On a sidenote: I think this world is comming to an end if even Chancer appears to be on the side of one language file in Plus! :p
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-28-2008 01:57 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
Leandro, this subject has been discussed thousands of times, and i think it's been made clear already that Patchou won't add a brazilian translation (as for now).

Support the current brazilian translation (sticky thread in the translation forum) and someday it may be added, but posting threads like this one wont really help.

We used to have 2 different spanish translations when Plus! 3 was around, and with the release of Plus! 4, we decided to merge them. We have a single spanish translation now, which works well for both people in Spain and latin america. How so? The spanish team is composed by 2 people from spain and 2 people from latin america. I've always thought that there should be at least one brazilian translator in the portuguese team, so that the translation could be consistent for both countries, but that's beyond my powers :P

Thread closed.

This post was edited on 08-28-2008 at 02:00 AM by Chrono.
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
08-28-2008 01:59 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: