What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Go back to previous version?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Go back to previous version?
Author: Message:
wendymr

O.P. Go back to previous version?
I made the mistake of upgrading to the 2009 version of Windows Live Messenger this evening. I HATE it. The colours are garish and hurt my eyes. Even changing the colour scheme on the main window doesn't help, as for some reason it's not changing the colours on my chat window. I DO NOT WANT pictures as background. I just want the ability to get rid of those horrible bright colours so that I won't get headaches using the thing.

PLEASE someone tell me how to uninstall this piece of crap and go back to the version I had an hour ago and was happy with. Thank you.
03-28-2009 03:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Joshua

.:The Best Brain:.

27 / Male / Flag
RE: Go back to previous version?
quote:
Originally posted by Joshua
http://download.softpedia.com/dl/725dc7c999abc77e135a2219c598c13d/49bd0090/100068149/software/internet/im/Install_WLMessenger.msi
There, if the download link does not work, just go here and click on the download server.
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/MSN-Messeng...ownload-68149.html
But first use ZapMessenger to remove all traces of the WLM2009
Then only download and install 8.5.

This post was edited on 03-28-2009 at 03:56 AM by Joshua.
03-28-2009 03:44 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
wendymr

O.P. RE: Go back to previous version?
Thanks for trying to help, but the DL link you provided still gives me the same version - V14 2009, with the horrible garish colours :(
03-28-2009 04:04 AM
Joshua

27 / Male / Flag
Actually it doesn't, it linked to the 8.5 version: Download here
http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/B/7/EB7A...wlsetup-custom.exe
03-28-2009 04:48 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Actually it doesn't
actually it does...

quote:
Originally posted by wendymr
I made the mistake of upgrading to the 2009 version of Windows Live Messenger this evening. I HATE it. The colours are garish and hurt my eyes. Even changing the colour scheme on the main window doesn't help, as for some reason it's not changing the colours on my chat window. I DO NOT WANT pictures as background. I just want the ability to get rid of those horrible bright colours so that I won't get headaches using the thing.

PLEASE someone tell me how to uninstall this piece of crap and go back to the version I had an hour ago and was happy with. Thank you.
- you posted in the wrong forum.... this subforum is about Messenger Plus!, an addon for Windows Live Messenger.

- The colors can normally be changed to even as dark as black. And the blueish color isn't that different from the one used in 8.5 anyways.

Anyways,

1) Uninstall Windows Live Messenger 2009.

Do this by going to your Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs.
There select Windows Live Essentials and choose "Remove"
When the installer launches you can select Windows Live Messenger to be removed.

Make sure you read and follow the on-screen instructions properly.

In case you have previously installed a beta version of Windows Live Messenger 2009, you need to uninstall that too by selecting "Windows Live Messenger" from the 'Add/Remove Programs'- list.

There is realy NO need for 3rd party tools UNLESS you experience some problems.

2) Download Windows Live Messenger 8.5

Go to the official Microsoft Download Center.
You don't need to go to any dodgy 3rd party download sites.

The proper official link to download Windows Live Messenger 8.5 is:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?F...-b445-0487bd5e84ef

3) Run the installer you just downloaded.

This post was edited on 04-14-2009 at 05:24 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-28-2009 09:30 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
wendymr

O.P. RE: Go back to previous version?
Actually, CookieRevised, I did everything you said, and when I reinstalled using the link for Messenger 8 it still gave me the horrible 2009 version. Typical of Microsoft - this software creates registry entries that don't delete and don't allow users to go back to previous versions.

And I'm sorry, but the garish blue, and the green icon outline, is VERY different from the old version. These colours are an appalling choice by whoever did the design. Dyslexics, epileptics, those who have recently had Lasik surgery and people with other vision problems are very ill-served by this design choice.

I finally did discover how to change the colours in *all* windows, but this interface is still a retrograde step from the previous version. It's ugly and unappealing.

Finally, I apologise for posting in the wrong forum, but in my defence it is not easy to find the correct forum. I spent some time searching before finding this place.
03-28-2009 07:28 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
The forums are very clearly labelled, it's not hard to find the right place.

Furthermore, the colours in WLM 2009 are barely any different from 8.5....it's just the human propensity for disliking change which is seen with every new Messenger release.  The interface is not "ugly and unappealing", it's hardly changed from 8.5....and you'll soon get used to the minor changes.

Microsoft does nothing to prevent you downgrading, proving the older version still enables you to connect to the Messenger network.

If you don't trust Microsoft to give you 8.5 then it can be downloaded from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_msn_messenger/3410/

However i would fully recommend persisting with WLM 2009, as Microsoft is already recommending upgrades.  Also, not only can the colours be changed very simply if you desire a darker interfact, there are several Messenger Plus! Live skins out there which offer altered themes.

Sidenote: Joshua, PLEASE stop telling people to use ZapMessenger for uninstalling WLM 2009.  a) ZapMessenger should only be used if the normal uninstaller fails and b) we should be encouraging people to use 2009 as they will soon have no option and 99% of them have no other reason than just disliking change......it was only a few years ago that everyone was complainging about being forced to upgrade to 8.5.....and just look at the uproar that Facebook's interface changes has caused.....when it's nothing more than people disliking change

This post was edited on 03-28-2009 at 08:22 PM by djdannyp.
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5185 days, 21 hours, 6 minutes, 15 seconds ago
03-28-2009 08:20 PM
Joshua

27 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Sidenote: Joshua, PLEASE stop telling people to use ZapMessenger for uninstalling WLM 2009.  a) ZapMessenger should only be used if the normal uninstaller fails and b) we should be encouraging people to use 2009 as they will soon have no option and 99% of them have no other reason than just disliking change......it was only a few years ago that everyone was complainging about being forced to upgrade to 8.5

Uh, whatever.
quote:
and just look at the uproar that Facebook's interface changes has caused.....when it's nothing more than people disliking change

Facebook said they would not change anything much to the uproar of the people.
03-28-2009 11:41 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
Sidenote: Joshua, PLEASE stop telling people to use ZapMessenger for uninstalling WLM 2009.  a) ZapMessenger should only be used if the normal uninstaller fails and b) we should be encouraging people to use 2009 as they will soon have no option and 99% of them have no other reason than just disliking change......it was only a few years ago that everyone was complainging about being forced to upgrade to 8.5

Uh, whatever.
quote:
and just look at the uproar that Facebook's interface changes has caused.....when it's nothing more than people disliking change

Facebook have made two interface changes, the first much bigger than the second...and both have been met with hundreds of groups and statuses of people complaining.

Also, your reaction to my initial point was distinctly uncalled for and really rather rude.

ZapMessenger is not a tool that should be used routinely.

The first port of call for uninstalling Windows Live Messenger is the uninstaller that comes with it, via Add/Remove Programs and therefore this is the advise that you should be giving people.

You're doing a good job of helping people for the most part and I was just advising you how to better help people.  Please heed some constructive advice rather than responding so negatively

This post was edited on 03-28-2009 at 11:58 PM by djdannyp.
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5185 days, 21 hours, 6 minutes, 15 seconds ago
03-28-2009 11:49 PM
Joshua

27 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
quote:

Uh, whatever.
quote:

Facebook have made two interface changes, the first much bigger than the second...and both have been met with hundreds of groups and statuses of people complaining.

Also, your reaction to my initial point was distinctly uncalled for and really rather rude.

ZapMessenger is not a tool that should be used routinely.

The first port of call for uninstalling Windows Live Messenger is the uninstaller that comes with it, via Add/Remove Programs and therefore this is the advise that you should be giving people.

You're doing a good job of helping people for the most part and I was just advising you how to better help people.  Please heed some constructive advise rather than responding so negatively

OK, ok I'm rude, I am only 12. I am not so good at speaking out in public.
Sorry. :'(

This post was edited on 03-28-2009 at 11:56 PM by Joshua.
03-28-2009 11:55 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: