What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » 7 reasons the world will end in 2012

Pages: (26): « First « 9 10 11 12 [ 13 ] 14 15 16 17 » Last »
Do you think the world will end in 2012..?
This poll is closed.
Yes 26 15.95%
No 137 84.05%
Total: 163 votes 100%
  [Show Results | Edit Poll]

7 votes - 2.57 average   7 reasons the world will end in 2012
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: 7 reasons the world will end in 2012
quote:
Originally posted by john-t
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
THE MAYANS DIDN'T PREDICT THE WORLD ENDING

Proof/Source?
for starters,

2012 is only one of the possebilities which is converted from the Mayan calender to the Gregorian calender.

Second, 2012 is just a year (like so many other years to come) when the Mayan 'Long Count' will be reset (Starting at 13.0.0.0.0 again). The 'Long Count' is only one of the 3 calender systems the Mayans used and it may have represent for them the beginning of the earth or the beginning of times. This corresponds to, very roughly, a good big 3000 years BC in our calender.

And this fact alone also proofs that the Mayan's believe of the beginning of the earth is very wrong (as we all know the Earth is billion years older).

Thus derived from that you can also safely state that whoever thinks the Mayan calender predicts the end of the world is seriously wrong.

Because not only is that believe based on our Western assumption that the 'Long Count' represents the beginning of the earth (which would be wrong in reality anyways), but it also builds further on that and automatically assumes it therefor means that when the 'Long Count' resets the earth will end.

------------------

It is just one of their 3 calender systems resetting and starting over again in 2012, just like our Gregorian calender resets each year at Januari 1st!!!

People are obviously way too paranoid, gullible, superstitious, and want to believe in fantastique stories...

Stating that in 2012 the world will end is as accurate as stating the earth would have ended in 666, 999, 1000, 1337, 2000, 3000, or whatever...

http://www.tondering.dk/claus/cal/node10.html

quote:
Originally posted by thebomb
give people enough time and they will come up with anything.

This post was edited on 03-31-2008 at 01:56 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-03-2008 11:30 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: 7 reasons the world will end in 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecTE6lXI-m0
[Image: awd.png]
Drawn into the darkness here with your eyes on the prize at stake.
Faint hearts on an endless path letting go of the ones we break.
02-03-2008 03:36 PM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: 7 reasons the world will end in 2012
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by john-t
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort

Proof/Source?
for starters,

2012 is only one of the possebilities which is converted from the Mayan calender to the Gregorian calender.

Second, 2012 is just a year (like so many other years to come) when the Mayan 'Long Count' will be reset (Starting at 13.0.0.0.0 again). The 'Long Count' is only one of the 3 calender systems the Mayans used and it may have represent for them the beginning of the earth. This corresponds to, very roughly, a good big 3000 years BC in our calender.

.....LOL COOKIEPOST........

quote:
Originally posted by thebomb
give people enough time and they will come up with anything.

I pretty much agree : >. also, mayans didn't disappear, their descendants now live in southern mexico and stuff, and there are still mayan speakers there...

This post was edited on 02-03-2008 at 03:59 PM by Voldemort.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
02-03-2008 03:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecTE6lXI-m0
That video is a nice example of how to mix unrelated stuff together with some very inaccurate things and leaving out other stuff to come to a 'doomsday' scenario proof.

(and they (the History Channel) do it with a lot of their other 'documentaries' also... very American (no pun intended otherwise))

This post was edited on 02-03-2008 at 07:20 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-03-2008 07:16 PM
Curtis

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by akayasik
this is a fucking load of crap! the fucking world wont end in 2012 and if something were to happen im betting on a real life scenario of i am legend. AND THAT STUPID MUTHER FUCKER UP THERE SO LOTS OFF PPL BELEAVE ISN'T REAL!

AND IF THE WORLD DOUSE END ON THAT EXACT DAY U MESIONED I WILL BE SO FUCKING PISSED! RIGHT BFOR MY BDAY IT JUST WOULDNT BE FAIR!

If the world ended on that day, then you wouldn't have a chance to be pissed because you missed your birthday, you'd be dead.
02-04-2008 02:06 AM
amfanman

http://www.satansrapture.com/nostra2012.htm

Check that page out.  The guy's a total kook.  There's not even a way to contact him or to leave comments.  He's got all kinds of "predictions," including that one about the so-called "planet 'Nibiru'".  If one of his predictions doesn't happen he just explains it away ^o).  I think when there are settlements on Mars and mankind is way past this time, there will still be people talking about religion and end-of-world theories, even though all the things people talk about today will be ancient history(except for practical things - which will either be in libraries, or myths).  -Reference Greek myths, ancient gods, etc.  I think there is something that can be gotten out of everything, which is why, for example, I don't believe that Nostradamus was just pulling things out of his a$$(for the most part).  Also a reason I *sometimes* listen to country :D.

Geez, why do all of you have to be so skeptical?  Gosh!

Also, I want to point out that there are things that ancient people observed - things that we may not necessarily know about - which we only know of through writings/tales/myths, etc.

"Alexander once said to me, "We are most alone when we are with the myths." - Anthony Hopkins speaking, as, Ptolemy, in "Alexander Revisited - The Final Cut"
02-05-2008 09:16 AM
SikStyles

DeathCult

34 / Male / Flag
You guys need to watch 2012 Doomsday movie. All we need is a woman in labour and take her to the Mayan temple in Chichen Itza and put her on a rock and deliever the baby, thus saving the world.

(Pointless movie btw, the only excitement was when a group of people were driving in baseball sized hail and the driver got hit by one and died. Though the car took basically no damage. Only a broken windshield)
You're still breathing? Why?
Get off the cross, the wood is needed.
[Image: userbar.jpg]

02-05-2008 09:33 AM
Vazza

– / Female / –
Quite frankly hasn't Nostradamus been predict the end of the world every for god know how long?

Personally, if the worlds going to end, I think it will be us, the humans (I was going to say most intelligent species but that would be giving some people too much credit) that end up doing it one way or another whether it be pollution or just plained nuked.

Besides, it can't end in 2012.....Glasgow just got the 2014 Commonwealth Games! And I'd quite like to see my brother take part in them thank you very much
I'll never forget how lucky I was 7267 days, 4 hours, 45 minutes, 28 seconds ago
[Image: 2tde3m][Image: 2y6ojm]
02-05-2008 01:16 PM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
Quite frankly hasn't Nostradamus been predict the end of the world every for god know how long?
Is it just me or does that statement infer that Nostradamus is living?
02-05-2008 02:50 PM
Vazza

– / Female / –
Well...he could be...somewhere....somehow....but seriously, hasn't he 'supposed' to have been predicting the end?
I'll never forget how lucky I was 7267 days, 4 hours, 45 minutes, 28 seconds ago
[Image: 2tde3m][Image: 2y6ojm]
02-05-2008 04:14 PM
Pages: (26): « First « 9 10 11 12 [ 13 ] 14 15 16 17 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: