What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Script? did I hear script?

Pages: (11): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
2 votes - 5 average   Script? did I hear script?
Author: Message:
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
JScript isn't the same as JavaScript, is it? Is the syntax of JScript similar to VBScript? :undecided:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
Uhmm... I can learn php so why not VBscript. :P
PHP and VBS are pretty different... I keep using PHP coding style when writing VBS and then it doesn't work... :rolleyes:
quote:
Originally posted by ginge
Forum note: Where have forum email notifications gone!! :-@
I think the server is being crappy again... we might be moved soon...
09-27-2002 08:40 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P.
That's always the same problem you know.... flexibility against reliability. For now, I think I'll restrict it to the two VBScript and JScript languages. The main reason being that when people are going to start distributing their scripts, I want to ensure that any script potentialy work everywhere. Else, a lot of people will be confused bewcause they won't even know what Perl is... well, I may change my mind.... we shall see :)

WDZ: do not worry, I'll give plenty of samples along with my MP2. As I said, I plan to recode most of my software using the scripts. However, I'm not a VBS or JS expert myself so don't hesitate to report me strange things that you might see in the scripts I distribute. The beta period will be for that.

Well, I'm leaving for home soon. This we is a programming we. My girl friend has already been notified so MP2 is on track, for real! ;)
[Image: signature2.gif]
09-27-2002 08:56 PM
ginge

BetterMSN Author

42 / Male / –
JScript is JavaScript (or MS's version, with the occasional extra feature), nothing too different - most people use the terms interchangeably, and can't tell the difference between them.

VBScript is not in any way like JScript in syntax terms (compare C++/Java with Visual Basic, it's pretty much the same gap), but they are the same semantically (meaning wise), so once you know one the second shouldn't be too hard to pick up, and its quite easy to port between them (very easy if its VBScript -> JScript).

If its going to be limited to VBScript and JScript then you'll need to pick a version, there are some qwerks with some versions that destroy reverse compatibility (IE 5 has a bug in JScript that 'undefined' is undefined, but not in IE 4 or 5.5 or 6), and newer features in VBScript (Eval, Class) are only in newer versions.
09-27-2002 09:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

35 / Male / –
PERL i need it :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Reisyboy: He is the priest to guide us from evil.. which isn’t working… so we call him Frier Tuck
09-27-2002 09:37 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by reisyboy
PERL i need it :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 
Can't you learn VBS? It's easy... I already made my own pretty cool temperature converter script and I've never used this language before... :grin:
09-27-2002 09:47 PM
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

35 / Male / –
I know some of it from learning Visual Baisc :p but i dont like ti i like Perl\Cgi :tongue:
Reisyboy: He is the priest to guide us from evil.. which isn’t working… so we call him Frier Tuck
09-27-2002 09:51 PM
ginge

BetterMSN Author

42 / Male / –
Then don't learn VBS, learn JScript - it looks more like Perl (it has the whole {} thing going on), has regular expressions (not as good as Perl, but useable), and doesn't have annonymous variables passed around the place (you must hate that with Perl - I do). VBS is however easier to learn as a first language, but both of them are much easier than Perl.
09-27-2002 09:57 PM
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

35 / Male / –
But i already knwo perl :( ok well i will watch JScript aswell :(
09-27-2002 10:00 PM
shine
Veteran Member

Recharging......

49 / Male / –
So you can learn VBScript Rboy.. Its damn easy... I've already started.. but damn the work have no time at home.

Donno about Jscript though.. Might be similar.
09-28-2002 06:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

35 / Male / –
I am learning JScript seems alot better than  VBscript just need pathou to add perl to :-P nice n easy
09-28-2002 09:20 AM
Pages: (11): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: