What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Personal reactions to recent news

Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 9 » Last »
Personal reactions to recent news
Author: Message:
jpg050

41 / Male / Flag
RE: Personal reactions to recent news
I agree they have the right to do that or to make Redmond explode in a nice termonuclear blast, but to have the right to do a thing doesn't mean that doing that thing is right...

Really don't think people not wanting to make a server is the problem, eMule and Cia have a lot of free servers and no one charges for them,  and so does Jabber and so on, and I really doubt if I made a MSN server, M$ allowed me to connect mine with theirs, and in that case I would prefer to make a better protocol instead of MS's.
(What about IRC? Will EFNet people worry if I use XChat, or mIRC? )

The only purpose of these free programs is to allow people to connect  with that people, so they support ICQ people, MSN people, Yahoo people and mymother'smessenger people. I haven't heard ICQ complaining, and its client is far more recharged than MSN's. 

If M$ wants profit, make better products, lower the prices, and MS, don't blame 2xx persons are not watching my "MSN Extra Storage" crap, just see what are YOU doing wrong. Perhaps if you made a damned official client for Linux, people wouldn't have to use a non-ad-full client. But ooh, people going to use Linux, people not using my Windows... my precious Windows... but, why should they go together ? Windows is an OS and Messenger is a IM program. Forcing the two things together seems something that is not very loable.

But you have the right, you have it, and you'll do it. Then you'll charge for Messenger, and when people moves onto a better thing, you'll say "It's ... er... fault of Linux, because they copied... er... the "close button" icon of the windows..." You're doing things wrong, whether you wanna accept it or not. Y se te está acabando el chollo. 

By the way, I'm watching MS's home page with Mozilla, will they tell me to build my own server if I don't wanna see their page with IE ? Oh, that happened years ago, was the famous "MicroSoft Network vs Internet"

Everything that has a beginning, has an end... and one way or another, this world is going to end.
[Image: spaplus.gif]
09-17-2003 10:53 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Personal reactions to recent news
quote:
By the way, I'm watching MS's home page with Mozilla, will they tell me to build my own server if I don't wanna see their page with IE ?

thank you for destroying your own credibility, this doesn't mean anything, you're sayign the same non-sense than some the guys on MSN Fanatic.... I'm sorry you can't just open your mind a little and quit saying "they are Microsoft, they just want to dominate the world".
[Image: signature2.gif]
09-17-2003 11:09 PM
jpg050

41 / Male / Flag
It was just an irony, so it's normal that it is nonsense. And about taking over the world, don't give them ideas...
09-18-2003 12:36 AM
user2319
Disabled Account

no, no.. they want to dominate everything with a 'chip' in it.. who cares about 'taking over the world' the'll have much power 'do this, or i'll press this button and all electronic devices will die!' -> that's a creepy idea :(
09-18-2003 03:25 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
harra

52 / Male / –
OK, I'm confused......

I understand completely the argument being posed by M$ in regards to those making 3rd party client software utilizing the MSN Network (i.e. Trillian).  What I don't understand is how does this impact developers like Patchou who are making add-ins.  An add-in such as Messenger Plus! should be taking up no MSN Network bandwidth because it hooks into the existing MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger client.

Am I just misreading and this doesn't affect the development of Messenger Add-ins?  If it does, I don't understand why.
09-18-2003 05:14 PM
BooGhost
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
it doesn't affect add-ons developpement ;)
09-18-2003 05:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
harra

52 / Male / –
So as long as we use the "official" msn/windows messenger client, we will still be able to enjoy the continued development of Messenger Plus?

That is great!

That means this only affects developers that create clients (i.e. Trillian)?  If that is the case, this doesn't impact me at all because I only use the clients provided by the owner of the network (Yahoo, M$, and AOL)
09-18-2003 05:24 PM
jpg050

41 / Male / Flag
What could affect Plus! is the existence or not of an API doc for future versions of Messenger.
09-18-2003 06:11 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Personal reactions to recent news
well, if they did create a complete API that would allow to do what Plus! is already doing it would surely create some competition, however, you'd better not count on it :). Anyway, competition is good, the proof is: I'm encouraging the development of Messenger Freedom, I hope you're not misunderstanding my intentions :)

Note to self: kill Messenger Freedom before it becomes bigger than Plus!
[Image: signature2.gif]
09-18-2003 07:46 PM
viz

Hello to you.

37 / Male / –
Good article, makes a good read compared ot the usual anti-ms stuff.
I wouldn't pay for messenger, but fair enough they have every right to charge for it if they want.
09-23-2003 05:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 9 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: