What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Personal reactions to recent news

Pages: (9): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] 9 » Last »
Personal reactions to recent news
Author: Message:
s7a5
Veteran Member

RE: RE: Personal reactions to recent news
quote:
Originally posted by mikelc2
But the chances are, someone that owns a computer, has purchased somethign from microsoft. 

*cough*.... umm :$
09-26-2003 06:56 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
kangie

falling...

38 / Female / –
RE: Personal reactions to recent news
ive probably just totally missed the point, and its probably been said before me, so sorry if it has im too tired to read through it all.
But without microsoft, there would be no Windows... or msn messenger... and ok, so maybe m$ can stuff up, and make life hard, but it would be worse w/o them! Imagine if only DOS was used lol! so, everyone should just give 'em a break!
(yay patchou:P)

:[ kangie :[
[Image: sig.jpg]
09-26-2003 11:46 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
kangie

falling...

38 / Female / –
LOL! *kangie slaps herself*
Ok, i promise in future i will check what the newest topic is :P
RIGHT
as for MSN chatrooms, i dont think its such a good idea that they are closed, but that doesnt make it all bad.
The problem is that the children (no offence!) will see all the media hype about paedophiles and suchlike, and will be taught that chatrooms are bad. and so they will NOT tell their parents, and things could get worse.... banning them only makes it worse. Children should be encouraged to talk about who theyve met to their parents, not told that the people COULD wanna... hurt them. *sighs* i think the internet has way too bad a reputation, believe me i know. i went through HELL when someone i know told a teacher at skl that i was meeting up with some guy id met over the net (this was a year ago) and the school FLIPPED and rung my parents(who already knew that i wasnt meeting him... cos he lived like, 10,000miles away). now i know they thought they were protecting me, but it was all perfectly innocent, and people shouldnt fear the unknown. alot of technophobic parents hate the internet because they dont always understand it....
anyhow, i shall be quiet now:P im sure im making no sense....

kangie
[Image: sig.jpg]
09-26-2003 11:54 AM
Underlord
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by kangie
ive probably just totally missed the point, and its probably been said before me, so sorry if it has im too tired to read through it all.
But without microsoft, there would be no Windows... or msn messenger... and ok, so maybe m$ can stuff up, and make life hard, but it would be worse w/o them! Imagine if only DOS was used lol! so, everyone should just give 'em a break!
(yay patchou:P)

:[ kangie :[
well m$ bought dos over from ibm...
and sold it and made a shit load...
i think without microsoft other companies would have made other products...
instead of m$ buying up the competition...
and there would be alot more competition that way :D

This post was edited on 09-26-2003 at 12:06 PM by Underlord.
09-26-2003 12:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
chris
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
umm my uncle was telling me about some os that was comming out around the same time as windows but then windows started somethign and it got way popular so that os totlay went down the drain. but there woudl be somethign ehre besides dos if windows wernt here
09-27-2003 01:11 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
jpg050

41 / Male / Flag
DR-DOS perhaps... later was the fall of OS/2 Warp...
[Image: spaplus.gif]
09-27-2003 10:17 AM
The UnKnOwN

35 / Male / –
They sould only charge a fee to the people who make others pay for their third-party programs, it's unfair to those who spend all this money when they don't chanrge others.
09-29-2003 03:40 PM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
:undecided: they're not charging just to get profit, they're charging so that they're only giving bandwidth away when it's worth it - i.e. when it's paid for or being used on the official client, with adverts and .net integration, tabs etc.

You buy me a server, i'd very much appreciate it :)
09-29-2003 06:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Ardham

quote:
Originally posted by Underlord
and there would be alot more competition that way

Actually MS bought a bastardized version of CP/M, re-wrote it into a DOS system, sold it to IBM as IBM DOS, re-wrote the same thing as MS-DOS only to turn around and sell this to people who infringed on IBM's copyrights by people creating similar systems. Smart move.

Microsoft at one time bought SCO Unix. They wrote XENIX about the same time... Later MS sold SCO. Smart move at the time, the world didn't want *nix on desktops.

Microsoft wrote OS/2 1.0 for IBM... based on LAN MAN. IBM later breached the contract and wrote OS/2 2.0 in house. MS turned around and wrote Windows NT 3.1 at that time to coincide with Windows 3.1 for Workgroups to have a server with to connect other than Lan Man.

MS may buy up competition, but typically if you watch the trends, MS buys up program development firms for products that compliment already existing MS products... see VISIO now in Office 2004.

My only gripe is taking an in-house tool, MSBuddy, turning around and making MSN Messenger/Exchange IM Client, publishing the protocol OPEN SOURCE, and turning around and taking this once free product and making it pay just to retain their ad-revenue base, or whatever seems to be a bit arrogant as a company to anyone in the 3rd party community.

A good counter, if they really wanted to quash 3rd party tools/apps/messneger clients, they'd have done so LONG ago... when they could have patented the protocol instead of open source it. MS is all about fostering competition, just to stay out of court... court costs money :)

I know MS is out to make a buck. For a good example, MAC is constantly getting financial aid from MS to keep it afloat (and help kick start new innovation by Apple), so yes, we'll still see Mac MSN clients.

But If MS really wants to close the 3rd party development, they should at the very least offer an RPM of a Linux MSN client. Pick someone like RedHat or Mandrake and partner out a MSN client that's approved on their network so the rest of the computer users aren't left out.

I am NOT a MS fan... I'm not currently an MS employee... I'm not a relative of Bill Gates nor any of his fan club's a member.

I agree that MS has the rights to do whatever they want with their servers, but if they truely wanted to make this be a pay only service, at least offer a way for 3rd parties to be a .NET messenger provider service, add-on or client.

Gee... they do some of that, but not enough to promote it to the open source community (read MS makes another buck).

This post was edited on 09-29-2003 at 08:16 PM by Ardham.
09-29-2003 07:56 PM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Personal reactions to recent news
quote:
Originally posted by Ardham
quote:
Originally posted by Underlord
and there would be alot more competition that way

pointless post :undecided:

It just made me notice though - what u on about?  Billy G wrote dos himself.  Without Billy G there would be no dos and no microsoft  to buy it up if thats what they really did... of course other companies would have done the same but it would have been slower.  And without microsoft there would be less competition, not more.  The only lack of competition that creates is for itself.  In fact, it encourages other companies to work hard to compete with them, even if it means that their huge buying power means they don't have to excel themselves themselves (yes that does make sense with 2 words - work it out :P).
09-29-2003 08:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (9): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] 9 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: