What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Multi-Language - Question for Japanese, Chinese, ...

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
1 votes - 4 average   Multi-Language - Question for Japanese, Chinese, ...
Author: Message:
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  Multi-Language - Question for Japanese, Chinese, ...
Hello folks,

I'm currently in a dilema... see, the way I'm currently planning to add multi-language support to Messenger Plus! 2.0 is by using ANSI and Unicode. Don't what this is? well, ANSI is for 256 characters languages (french, italian, english, german, ...) and Unicode is for any other language in the world (Japanese, Chinese, ...).

The problem is that Unicode is supported only in Windows NT4/2000/XP... it is NOT supported by Windows 95/98/Me. That basically means that half of the languages that MP2 may support thanks to your effort won't be available on those platforms. The only way of doing this support is be supporting MBCS. I don't really like this third option, it's kinda messy... so.... my question is: do you care? I mean, is it ok with you, if you are using a complex language, that it is only supported in Windows NT4/2000/XP ?

Jae, you have the email of a lot of people... could you please pass the message?

Thanks,
Patchou.

This post was edited on 03-18-2003 at 05:53 PM by Johnny_Mac.
[Image: signature2.gif]
10-13-2002 03:31 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dandin1

...de course.

– / Male / –
It's OK with me, since French is not one of those 'Complex languages'
10-13-2002 03:07 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Misterjad

37 / Male / –
mmm i don't realy understand...
so if unicode isn't supported by win9x how do the chinese/japaneses.. use windows9x ....??? or doesn't it exist in those country where the language is complex???
10-13-2002 08:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

35 / Male / –
from what i understand, they use a differnet system  :undecided:
Reisyboy: He is the priest to guide us from evil.. which isn’t working… so we call him Frier Tuck
10-13-2002 09:07 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Jae, you have the email of a lot of people... could you please pass the message?
Very many, and still growing :) I'll pass them the message when i'm at/or back from school.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
10-14-2002 05:58 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P.
In Japan/China/..., Windows 9x uses MBCS... it's an hybrid system system that I would prefer not to use.
[Image: signature2.gif]
10-14-2002 03:24 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Misterjad

37 / Male / –
maybe you can share your project with a trusted japanese/chinese guy and who can devellop a version of messenger using "MBCS", nope?
10-14-2002 05:04 PM
newrui

man i really want mg2 to support unicode, no matter if it has to be on xp or not
10-25-2002 07:14 PM
wing

46 / – / –
Hi, :happy:
I am a Chinese from Taiwan. It's OK with me for using unicode, because My NB is running on Win2K System :tongue:
But, if MP2 can support MBCS, I think all users in asia will appreciate you very very much :cheesy:
If there are anything that I can help (to be a tester?:P), please contact me any time.  :happy:
10-26-2002 03:32 PM
ginge

BetterMSN Author

42 / Male / –
Don't use MBCS - you have absolutely no chance of getting it to work without  a development machine actually running the Asian version of 98. WinXP is the main MS OS, and its sufficiently "good" for no one to have an excuse for sticking with 98/ME, one of XP's plus points is the excellent multi-lingual features, so people in Asia should definately upgrade to XP and then use Plus!.

The alternative of allowing someone to port it to MBCS would be workable, if you find someone who can program C++ well, is still using Win98 with MBCS as a development platform (doubtful - most developers are on 2k or XP by now, C++ .net won't even run on 98) and you are prepared to give up the source code.
10-26-2002 05:18 PM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: