What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Knowledge sharing - replies

Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
Knowledge sharing - replies
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Knowledge sharing - project ended
So, because we think he's a good and decent person who has very good programming skills and listens to his users, we're his puppets? Excuse me, but I'm not his puppet. If he says jump, I'll think about it. If I got the time and I want to, then maybe. Otherwise he can yell all he wants, I wont jump...

And by calling us names, you are no better then some other flamers/trolls/etc... Don't lower yourself to that...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-16-2003 02:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
I feel sorry for you doggie. We are a community here, and are full of community spirit, a point sadly missed by you. We are not puppets, but we do share similar thoughts. My opinion is that Plus is excellent software, and that Patchou works bloody hard to make it as good as he can.

Patchou is often to be found asking people to email him, especially in regards to working out problems that are new. I doubt he would do that if he didn't read his emails. If nothing else, it was worth a try before you started shouting the odds to us.

I do wonder about your abilities as a moderator, based on the evidence of what you have posted here. A good moderator would try to calm a situation down before it got out of hand. Of course this is simply my opinion, but opinions count don't you agree??

As for your repeated ass kissing comments, I can only say this. We admire Patchou, we support him, and we respect him. If I am impressed with something I will say so, as I hope it will in some small way thank him for what he has done for us. If this is called ass kissing, then sue my ass (pun intended).

Welcome to the Plus forums doggie (&)
12-16-2003 03:14 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Undecided  RE: Knowledge sharing - project ended
This is pathetic. :-/

The lot of you have lost the plot.  The thread was created to announce that Patchou is not creating any scheme to share Plus source code or similar.  His reason was that the people that it would affect and benefit don't care for him or respect him.

He did not post it so Plus 'fans' and Plus 'enemies' could rip out each other's throats.  He asked you not to.  "Please do not reply to this thread by insulting MSN Fanatic users"  Kapeesh?

He did not ask for people to mindlessly insult Plus! either.  He invited opinions, but some of the posts in this thread do what he closed the project for.  They spit on him, it's the only way to describe it.

Why is there such a problem with living and letting live?  I have objections to many things but I do not insult the people who make them.  You achieve nothing by doing it, except making some think you are pathetic and leaving a sour taste in everyone else's mouth.

I also have objections to some of the crap I've just read not because it is coarse and contemptuous but because it is downright wrong:

quote:
Originally posted by doggie
i have nothing to apologize for.. if he was offended so be it and wasnt my intention
Just to clear things up, an apology is what you give to show that you didn't intend to cause offence/upset/heard someone.  Of course you're not gonna apologise if u meant it.  That is the height of arrogance.
quote:
Originally posted by kaoz
if patchou cared for the msn community AT ALL he would of made Plus module based, but no, all he cares about is DOMINATING the msn scene (to which he provides very little) -- JUST LIKE MICROSOFT
I'm impressed at how many forms of bullshit you can get into one sentence.

Patchou has provided very little for the Messenger Community?  He provided his life!  He has no job, he works daily on improving his program.  I would like to hear somebody contractict the fact that the majority of developers for add-ons, patches, etc. for the Messenger community spend their evenings or part of their leisure time doing it, as a side-occupation.  As he repeats he was one of the first people on the Messenger modification scene, giving many people inspiration as to how much Messenger can actually be manipulated.

When you devote this much time to a product you do not just give it away to people like that... anyone can pick up a module and incorporate it into their code.

Of course he cares for the Messenger community.  All he demands is that his work is acknowledged, and if years of work are just flung onto the net people won't always do that.  If the main developers can't see the good side of his work either then that leaves no reason for him to do it.

I like the reference to Microsoft.  It makes you seem to think that they dominated the computer industry by sitting on their asses and contributing nothing.  Microsoft jumped in when most people didn't think software was worth developing.  They created Windows, IE, Office, all of which are very successful but also good pieces of software.  There's their contribution.  And to get ahead they had to work, just like Patchou did.  You don't get successful by sitting on your ass... anyone can do that.  What it does is gives them the privilege of being able to sit back and still have popularity after the hard work.  Welcome to the world of reward.

I really hate having to complain like this, because in the end it only adds to the angry atmosphere, unless someone listens.  Please please please, if you have a problem with something Patchou has done, say so and leave it at that.  There's no need to pretend that he's some malicious gargoyle.  He's not, and any regular post you see of his shows that he's very kind, caring and helpful.  If you're a fan of Patchou's work, please don't pounce on objectors, if they're being pathetic let it be and try not to stir things up.  Also try to see their point of view, in some cases they do have a point :)

This post was edited on 12-16-2003 at 05:29 PM by fluffy_lobster.
12-16-2003 05:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
Some good points there fluffy :)

I hope I was not too ardent in my pursuit for Patchou, but I do feel bad for him, as does he from what I can tell from his post.

I don't think many people would argue that its a shame that he has decided to call off this mini-project. My point was that we should support Patchou if we are to expect help in return. You don't bite the hand that feeds you after all.

Remember Patchou, there are many thousands upon thousands that appreciate all your work. Personally I don't want to see you share the code, so that lots of Plus clones pop up, cos I believe the original is the best. Like your Linux analogy, there are so many flavours, who knows what to pick?

To anyone who wishes to make points opposite to mine, please feel free. As fluffy said, some of you do have points to make, but when mostly I am reading insults, I will jump to defend Patchou :undecided:

To anyone who has been offended, I do apologise. But I cannot sit idly by and watch people insult the program I love.

Peace and love to all (F)
12-16-2003 05:46 PM
Fraisie
Former Super Mod

Pixie Dust!

42 / Female / Flag
I can't believe some stuff I read in here... some of it is just pathetic. If you  only knew how much work he puts into Plus, how devoted this guy is to his work, how smart and intelligent he is, and how diplomatic and mature he acts about his work, his users and friends in this community.... This just amazes me.  Some people just have no true respect.
So, Fraisie.net is empty atm. I\'m trying to come up with something cool to put on it, and I will!
12-16-2003 06:23 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: Knowledge sharing - replies
Well guys, I read everything that was posted in this thread and it's sad to see that the same bunch of PatchouHaters from MSN Fanatic still insist on insulting me for no reason. It's also sad to see doggie continuing to say that the thread on MSN Fanatic was harmless non-offensive opinions... if that's true, the only explanation is that we don't speak the same english. I also like the comparison with Hitler that Ecko posted in his first reply, it shows how much mature this guy is and how you should consider the rest of his posts.

As for keeping the community informed, I agree and that's in fact what I did.. the last message I posted in the code-sharing thread is dated December 5th, which is just 6 days before Doggie posted his own thread saying that I abandoned everybody... 6 days! and in that post I clearly said what I said yesterday night which was:

quote:
Well, I guess that whatever I'll do, it will please only half of you and I will get complains from the other half.... to be honest, that's not a very exciting idea to start working on a dll/tutorials knowing that it/they will get rejected by half of you from the start. I'm not sure I know what I want to do now... feel free to continue discussing the matter, in this thread or another, I keep reading your posts and the opinion of everybody is important.

After that, the thread didn't got many replies and I would probably have created a new thread with a poll or something like that. I didn't knew that to be someone nice, I had to release a 50 pages tutorial within the next 3 days of my original post.

I have nothing else much to say except that I thank you all for your support, it makes things more easy to me as I don't have to post a reply to all the previously posted bullshit... "we were just giving our opinion"... yeah right... and I also have to say that I feel bad for all of you when someone says that you "suck up" as soon as you defend my position against gigantic bullshit. Now you know how I feel when people are talking about companies like Microsoft when they have no idea what really is going on ;). But again, it shows how much developed these guys really are.

Oh, and also, to make things clear once and for all... it's not the first time I read something like that on MSN Fanatic:
quote:
ecko_complex
patchou could not have created Messenger Plus! without the help of certain individuals.

I never replied to that kind of thing before because I didn't want to sound mean, but enough is enough. Messenger Plus! has between 50,000 and 100,000 lines of code (I never counted precisely) that I wrote and rewrote, again and again, the past three years (yep, almost three years already!) and here is the exact count of lines that do not come from me:
  • Nicolas: 30 lines (POP protocol)
  • Ginge: 200 lines (zip library interface)
  • Will: 10 lines (assembly patch for the /nick command and COM internal access in Messenger 5/6)
Feel free to ask any of those people to confirm the numbers. Don't get me wrong, their contribution is appreciated a lot and that's why they get a special place in the about box of the software. I'll never take credits for work that is not mine and I don't have the assembly knowledge to create asm patches like the ones Will does. However, Plus! is not dependant of these patches to live as they target very specific features and the other 99.7% of the code has been written by my hands and my hands only (that includes full Messenger 6 compatibility if you're wondering about it). Say whatever you want about my software but don't deny that it is the result of my work, there's nothing more insulting than this kind of comment which basically mean "Patchou just gathered good code from people around him, added some additional useless features, a sponsor program, and then distributed it and got all the credits for it". Wether you like Messenger Plus! or not, this software is my creation.

That's all I had to say. It may sounds harsh but I got to defend myself from time to time. It's just too easy to say so much bullshit about things you don't know.

Patchou
[Image: signature2.gif]
12-16-2003 08:17 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
(y)... It's indeed sad to read how some people think/act...
Anyway, you didn't had to explain/defend on our (plus community) part, but I do understand the need sometimes to get things said...
Keep up the good work and after that, take Fraisie and a long deserved holiday, away from Plus!!!... It will do you both good ;)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-16-2003 08:26 PM
s7a5
Veteran Member

if i were u i wouldnt even care about what they say and try to proove anything to those morrons. Plus! has been a great addon and it will stay this way untill you want it and have our support.
12-16-2003 08:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Renegade

– / Male / –
Plus is great software, I've used it for a long time :)

I don't really have anything else to say, just wanted to show some support for Patchou :)
12-16-2003 09:01 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
Well Patchou, as others have suggested, don't care about what a minority say. Every person does things or acts in a way that others don't like. Life is like that so assume that there are and will be unfortunately people who complain against you. Luckly they're a minority, as I said, so be happy :banana: and continue your great work. You have to know that we all will like a lot what you do and will support everything you do. We are your community, your fans, call us how you want, but, please, keep in mind that your work is really very appreciated.
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Messenger Plus! has between 50,000 and 100,000 lines of code (I never counted precisely)
Would you mind to count them, please? I'm only curious.

This post was edited on 12-16-2003 at 09:03 PM by Choli.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
12-16-2003 09:01 PM
Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites