What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Madrid trains blast 11-M [one year ago]

Pages: (10): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] 9 10 » Last »
Madrid trains blast 11-M [one year ago]
Author: Message:
Pappapishu

Supreme god of unknown and vegetable

39 / Male / –
RE: Madrid train blasts
well, i like the climat of understanding that's going on here, but i still feel insulted by johnny's comments. He speaks of spaniards as people who cower before terrorism, but that's not the case, whe have suffered terrorism since year dot and we have demonstrated soma backbone, this time hasn't been an exception. If the vote has changed it's been because it had to change due to the last government's wreckless behaviour, ignoring compltetly the people's wishes
03-15-2004 08:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
I feel those comments are more about understanding then insulting. If I remove them the rest of this thread with some decent points will be messed up. So i'm leaving them there, sorry if your insulted by them.

My final thoughts on this, which is a question which just raises thoughts and not a one i want really answering is:

With whats happened in spain, has an election been fueled on personal emotion rather then country well being?

This post was edited on 03-15-2004 at 08:57 PM by Johnny_Mac.
03-15-2004 08:55 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pappapishu

39 / Male / –
i'm not asking you to remove it
03-15-2004 09:02 PM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
I haven't been following this thread, and don't really want to pore through it, but a couple of comments...
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
this is the biggest massacre in the history of Spain
Not really, when you think of things like the Guernica bombings in the Spanish civil war.  I'm not disagreeing that the whole situation is a terrible thing, but hype like that doesn't really do justice to that.  Shakespeare's Sonnet 130 comes to mind...

And Johnny, my thoughts on the answer to
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
With whats happened in spain, has an election been fueled on personal emotion rather then country well being?
This is the problem with terrorism, that when it gets this serious, a country's well-being is affected by personal emotion...
03-15-2004 09:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Madrid train blasts
quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
Not really, when you think of things like the Guernica bombings in the Spanish civil war.  I'm not disagreeing that the whole situation is a terrible thing, but hype like that doesn't really do justice to that.  Shakespeare's Sonnet 130 comes to mind...
Of course he meant the worst terrorist outrage, Guernica was a Nazi attack in the Spanish Civil War. It can't be seen as terrorism in the same way.
Anyway we can say it's the biggest massacre in the history of the European Union. And that's why they considered to set on that day the day of the terrorism victims.

This post was edited on 03-15-2004 at 09:27 PM by KeyStorm.
03-15-2004 09:26 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Of course he meant the worst terrorist outrage, Guernica was a Nazi attack in the Spanish Civil War. It can't be seen as terrorism in the same way.
Anyway we can say it's the biggest massacre in the history of the European Union. And that's why they considered to set on that day the day of the terrorism victims.
Yep. Also, about it being the biggest massacre in EU that is also true. (since 2nd world war)
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
maybe, but there are many people who don't use to vote because they don't care too much in politics and now they've voted. PP, the party how has lost, has got only 600 000 votes less than 4 years ago. However, PSOE, who won, has got 3 000 000 votes more. The participation has been 10% bigger than last elections (4 years ago) and there there are all those people who have thought: "I don't like politics, but this can't stay like it's now. I'm going to vote and I'll vote PSOE, because I have similar political beliefs and I don't want PP wins".
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
03-15-2004 09:42 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Madrid train blasts
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
Yep. Also, about it being the biggest massacre in EU that is also true. (since 2nd world war)
[picky]Afaik there wasn't EU in the WWII :rolleyes:;)[/picky]

This post was edited on 03-15-2004 at 10:03 PM by KeyStorm.
03-15-2004 09:46 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Afaik there wasn't EU in the WWII :rolleyes:;)
er... *cough*picky!!*cough*...well, let's say just Europe :P
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
03-15-2004 09:59 PM
Pappapishu

39 / Male / –
sure, if you speack of historic massacres you'll surely find many bigger, but we were talking about the union's history, and besides, gernica wouldn't count because that was in the middle of a war, and during wars the 'rules' change, and instead of a massacre it's called a 'victory' or 'defeat'

anyway, i might agree that this has influenced the elections but PSOE was in front of PP in every poll, maybe this has only widen the difference, but the effect would have been the same if the elections were 2 weeks later because spain was begging to see what PP really was, pitty their eyes had to be open by a thing like this
03-16-2004 02:23 PM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Pappapishu
besides, gernica wouldn't count because that was in the middle of a war, and during wars the 'rules' change, and instead of a massacre it's called a 'victory' or 'defeat'
A lot of historians would disagree with that... it was one of the first uses of bombs which caused true mass destruction, and the town was quite literally razed to the ground in a matter of a few air raids, civilians and all.  It wasn't really provoked either; Hitler's main intent was to see how effective the raids would be, and the only victory was yet again evading the league of nations
03-16-2004 06:43 PM
Pages: (10): « First « 4 5 6 7 [ 8 ] 9 10 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: