What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Sponsor, toolbars, and auto-updates

Pages: (5): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 » Last »
4 votes - 4.25 average   Sponsor, toolbars, and auto-updates
Author: Message:
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
RE: Sponsor, toolbars, and auto-updates
quote:
Originally posted by eXoenDo
We, the Messenger Plus! Community, have put 3 years of trust into you and we are not going to throw it away because you decided to include an OPTIONAL sponsor, so I think I can speak on behalf of almost all of the members of this forum when I say, We trust you Patchou.
true :) (y)

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
Well, about the sponsor, thanks for make we notice msn msg 6.2 installs (by dafault) a search bar too... that'll help us we people complain
yeah, I forgot it installed the msn toolbar by default, could be that a lot of people see the msn toolbar as the sponsor toolbar :-/.
04-27-2004 01:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
ummm how much does patch get from this sponsor program, seminefrial if you ask me ;)
Do you know how personal that question is? :P  You never ask someone how much they earn... he earns a fair good living from it from what i've been told, but it's nobody's business exactly how much he gets (unless he decides he wants to tell us)
04-27-2004 03:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
Do you know how personal that question is? :P  You never ask someone how much they earn... he earns a fair good living from it from what i've been told, but it's nobody's business exactly how much he gets (unless he decides he wants to tell us)
Exactly.
04-27-2004 04:51 PM
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Well Said, ummm how much does patch get from this sponsor program, seminefrial if you ask me
enought for him to continue plus's devolpment. thats all we need to know.

$5 says we have at  least 15 users in the next month who install msn toolbar and blames patch.
04-27-2004 05:28 PM
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
Well done:)
I suggest you to display a message box if the user agrees to install the sponsor...Like:
You have choosen to install the sponsor program.Are you sure you want to do this?, C++YesNo, "Are you sure?"
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
04-27-2004 06:57 PM
Jutx

Shocking.......

– / Male / –
I don't think there is anything wrong with the sponsor installation window, patchou has done more than enough to make it obvious to the user (assuming they read it). the only thing that i, personally would do, is give the sponsor its own entry in the add/remove programs (e.g. Messenger Plus Sponsor Program). (as well as automatically removing the sponsor if plus is uninstalled, same as currently).
Hard work pays off in the long run but laziness pays off NOW (H) :banana:
04-27-2004 07:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Scoobs

Hello,

First, let me say that I love Messenger Plus!

But...

Maybe I don't really know the difference between adware and spyware but this statement makes me feel like I will be spied on by the sponsor knowing what pages on the web I am looking at:

"Apropos LLC ("AP") will periodically deliver advertisements and promotional messages to your computer based, in part, on your interests as shown by the websites you view."

and...

"The Apropos AdServer displays Apropos Ads on computer screens on behalf of the Apropos Network's advertising clients and not necessarily on behalf of the Web site the Subscriber may be viewing when the ad appears. In fact, the Apropos Network's advertising clients may be competitors of the publishers whose Web pages Subscribers may be viewing, or may have recently viewed."

This tells me that Apropos knows every second where I am on the web and ready to give me something I didn't ask for.  Therefore, I see it as spyware.  Didn't approve it, either.

I'm sorry but I do question the integrity of the person that will compromise.  There are a lot of unsuspecting new comers to the internet and I believe that there are a lot of trusting folks out there that believed you wouldn't deliver such things to them.

Please don't get me wrong,  I am just asking you to think about what is happening here and to not lose the trust of alot of folks out there, for money.  I have heard if you lose trust and integrity, you ultimately fail.  Again, I love Messenger Plus and I know how to handle something like this but there are a lot of users out there that don't.  My daughter is one and she has to deal with getting rid of it.  Please, protect people from resource grabbing vultures like this. 

Just my 2 cents.
04-27-2004 07:44 PM
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
First, hello and welcome to the forums :wave:,

The sponsor program used by Plus! was designed for Patchou specifically so you can't base on texts you found on the internet about these sponsors. The sponsorprogram also has been tested and scanned for spyware, adware and virusses before it was added to Plus!.
04-27-2004 07:50 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Sponsor, toolbars, and auto-updates
Well, it's true that modern advertisement programs tend to display their content based on your interests. I have no insights on how things really work, my opinion on this subject is as good as any other, but I would tend to think that you should take this analyse in the positive way: they do that to target their users. Thsi is a way to prevent tons of popups to appear on your screen for products you don't care about. The different with a spyware is that a spyware would send your information in a server, along with some other personal information (like your email), and that is definitively NOT done by my sponsor.

I know this is a delicate subject and if you want to continue it, I'd rather talk about it in another thread :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
04-27-2004 09:28 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Scoobs

Hi Patchou,

Thank you for your response and I appreciate your being open for this subject to be discussed further.  I hope I pick the right place to put it.  I would first like to respond to Kryptonate.

Hi Krytonate,

Thank you for the welcome.

I just wanted to let you know that I did not get those quotes from the internet.  I got that from the terms I had to agree to for the download.  Thanks, though for your response.
04-27-2004 10:24 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: