What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Sponsor, toolbars, and auto-updates

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
4 votes - 4.25 average   Sponsor, toolbars, and auto-updates
Author: Message:
chungster

boo

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Sponsor, toolbars, and auto-updates
maybe you could attatch a readme text file to the install and at the end of the install you could have a check box for veiw read me and the read me could have stuff about how to get rid of the sponsor if they clicked on i accept
[Image: Whatyoulookinat.jpg]
04-27-2004 10:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by chungster
the read me could have stuff about how to get rid of the sponsor if they clicked on i accept

That makes things to easy :P  Most people who install the sponsor don't care that they have installed it and don't mind another toolbar.  If we start encouraging people to uninstall the sponsor, it's like shooting yourself in the foot. 

We're all helpful enough to share how to remove the sponsor here and even Patchou will tell people how to do so.  Current methods work well.  And keep pretty much everyone happy.

If 8000 people install MsgPlus a day with the sponsor and 2 complain is that a really high percentage?

Patchou's Edit: er... it's actually 80,000 .. not that it matters but still..... :p

This post was edited on 04-28-2004 at 05:14 PM by Patchou.
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
04-28-2004 10:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
Patchou needs to make a living and if it's been said once it's been said a 100 times the sponsor program is a good idea.
Although Microsoft do not need to put their toolbar in the MSN Messenger installer for the reasons they do. It's purely because they want people to install a toolbar that they can't market because it's unpopular.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
04-28-2004 05:41 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by chopsticks
maybe you could attatch a readme text file to the install and at the end of the install you could have a check box for veiw read me and the read me could have stuff about how to get rid of the sponsor if they clicked on i accept
I think it could be in the already included Readme which can be accessed from the about window, and it must definitely be in the help section of the new msgplus.net, otherwise it would seem like we are hiding something. Those who don't want to remove it won't look for the way to do it anyways.
04-28-2004 05:42 PM
rimmer

How is Patchou paid by the sponsor? Is it by the number of installs or the amount of use of the sponsor.

If it is by the number of installs i think everyone should install as a way of saying thank you to Patchou on the release of MP3.  Then everyone who dosent want it (including myself) can then promptly uninstall it.
04-28-2004 05:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by rimmer
How is Patchou paid by the sponsor? Is it by the number of installs or the amount of use of the sponsor.
The Sponsor Company pays Patchou to include it...
04-28-2004 06:28 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
The Sponsor Company pays Patchou to include it...
i don't think so, because in that case patchou would include it but delete the option to install it, so none of his users complain.

They pay patchou based on the number of people who uses the search bar and maybe by the amount of people who installs it too.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
04-28-2004 06:38 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
i don't think so, because in that case patchou would include it but delete the option to install it, so none of his users complain.
Perhaps not...the company would most likely check that it was in the installer...but now you mention it yeah it's most likely judged on the amount...can someone who knows clear this up?
04-28-2004 06:42 PM
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
Perhaps not...the company would most likely check that it was in the installer...but now you mention it yeah it's most likely judged on the amount...can someone who knows clear this up?
It's obviously not just based in "including it", Patchou gets paid per search, maybe per ad click, and maybe per installation as well.

Anyway, this shouldn't be discussed here.
04-28-2004 09:31 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Sponsor, toolbars, and auto-updates
For the record: I'being paid by searches (and only for some of them), so I wouldn't win a cent even if a billion users installed my sponsor tomorrow :). PaidByInstall are generalle more vicious adware (sypwares) that do things I wouldn't want to happen to my users.
[Image: signature2.gif]
04-28-2004 10:33 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: