What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » File Transfer Plus 1.1 RELEASE (update 14/09)

Pages: (50): « First « 11 12 13 14 [ 15 ] 16 17 18 19 » Last »
8 votes - 4.5 average   File Transfer Plus 1.1 RELEASE (update 14/09)
Author: Message:
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
RE: File Transfer Plus 1.1 ALPHA
How about proxy support, so you can just type the adress of the proxy.
[Image: 1-0.png]

09-26-2004 06:47 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
RicarDog

File Transfer Plus developer

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: File Transfer Plus 1.1 ALPHA
I would like to know more about the problems that some people have with passive mode before I release 1.1 BETA, so I can fix any problem that may exist in the current version.

On a side note, the "compression on-the-fly" feature is working fine for the next release. I did some speed tests, and I've found that the transfer speed increases about 100 times for text files, 150% for uncompressed image files (like bmp), and 30% for general uncompressed file types. However, it does not increase the transfer speed of mp3, wma, and other compressed media types. For compressed formats like zip and rar, it may decrease the transfer speed, so I've added an exception list that disables the compression for that files. The list can be edited in the plugin options.

quote:
How about proxy support, so you can just type the adress of the proxy.
Yeah, but I have to find out how it works first :P
Latest File Transfer Plus: 1.1 RELEASE (1.1.14)
In development: 2.0
10-01-2004 01:10 AM
giken

Windows Live Butterfly

46 / Male / Flag
Great plug-in...
I hope the "Check to see if the contact already has the plugin installed, otherwise the transfer is done by the Messenger's file transfer" feature will be included soon, because some of my contacts don't use it and it's difficulte to share files with them :(
btw if you can fix also the plug-in graphic to support windows large fonts it would be appreciate, i'm using xp with large fonts and some of the text in the configuration windows is not readable :)
10-01-2004 06:06 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Martijn.

Previously known as |\/|artij|\|

34 / Male / –
RE: RE: File Transfer Plus 1.1 ALPHA
quote:
Originally posted by RicarDog
On a side note, the "compression on-the-fly" feature is working fine for the next release.

I'd like to know: Does it compress before sending or while sending (like the compression some filesharing programs use)?

If it compresses while sending (wich I conclude from your post), I'll realy start drooling:P. But doesn't it eat your processor when you do that at high upload speeds?

Also, I'd like to suggest something (yes, again:P): How about letting you send a file by typing the path/filename as parameter for the command, for example: /xtpsend <path/filename>? Would be nice to use in for example QuickTexts, and It'd be way easier if I ever come to program the Filesharing plugin I promised some time ago:P.

Well, from the looks of it, you've done some great improvements once again(Y).
"If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom."
10-01-2004 10:23 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
OxTaz

Hi,

We have tried again. My friend has a firewall, so he opened ports 8040-8080, and used the following settings :
  Port : 8040-8080
  Detect external IP automatically
  Passive mode DISABLED

I use the following settings :
  Port : 8040-8080
  Detect external IP automatically
  Passive mode ENABLED

I've seen that passive mode is for sending only, so, before trying, I was already expecting some issues on reception.
And, as I expected, receiving files didn't work. I just have some text on MSN (not even a dialog box tring to establish connection).

If I try to send, some text on MSN tells me that the connection has been accepted (I did't had this text with last settings) but, however, both mine and my friend's dialog box display "Waiting..."

For port 80, it is even stranger because my friend hasn't got any program using this port... (maybe, a firewall or ISP limitation)

Well, I think I won't be able to use this plugin until it would be able to use the proxy support (MSN detects this automatically probably using IE settings), but I keep testing and reporting errors.

10-01-2004 10:48 AM
RicarDog

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: File Transfer Plus 1.1 ALPHA
quote:
I hope the "Check to see if the contact already has the plugin installed, otherwise the transfer is done by the Messenger's file transfer" feature will be included soon
I think it's not possible to check that automatically, since there are various factors that could cause problems in the checking process. So, it's better to have a button in the transfer window to send the current file using MSN. You would have to ask if your friend has the plugin installed, but I think it wouldn't be a problem.
quote:
i'm using xp with large fonts and some of the text in the configuration windows is not readable
I'm afraid that's a limitation of Visual Basic 6 (the development tool used for File Transfer Plus). It cannot be fixed as far as I know. :(
quote:
Does it compress before sending or while sending (like the compression some filesharing programs use)?
It compresses while sending. Specifically, it compresses as much data as it can to fill up the packet before it's sent, and that's done for each packet. The processor overhead is very acceptable (it uses up to 3% here, Athlon 1700+).
quote:
How about letting you send a file by typing the path/filename as parameter for the command, for example: /xtpsend <path/filename>?
That's a good idea, I'll try to add it for the next release :)

@OxTaz
About the proxy problem, I think it's because your proxy rejects your attempt to connect to your friend. Another possibility would be an incorrect IP address (ask him if the IP shown in the 'transfer accepted' messange is his internet IP) or blocked port on your friend's side, but it's not likely since you said he opened those ports. I'll research about proxy support, hopefully it will work in a future release.
10-02-2004 12:37 AM
giken

Windows Live Butterfly

46 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: File Transfer Plus 1.1 ALPHA
quote:
I think it's not possible to check that automatically, since there are various factors that could cause problems in the checking process. So, it's better to have a button in the transfer window to send the current file using MSN. You would have to ask if your friend has the plugin installed, but I think it wouldn't be a problem.

It sounds bad but if there are no way to make the detection automatic a separated button will be ok ;)
If I can make a suggestion, can't you use the same way msgplus uses for its detection?
the transfer plus plugin could send a checking command from sender to receiver before start sending (like msgplus does with ping command) so if the receiver answers, plugin is installed and transfer can starts, if he doesn't answer plugin is not installed so the transfer automatically switch to standard messenger protocol

quote:
I'm afraid that's a limitation of Visual Basic 6 (the development tool used for File Transfer Plus). It cannot be fixed as far as I know. :(

Oh... I understood, don't worry maybe you will fix it when Visual Basic 7 released ehehhe :)
10-02-2004 10:30 AM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RicarDog - IMO release the beta.........then let users summit bugs with the beta and release the final...

Cuz if ur waiting for ALL of the bugs on the alpha to be exposed then its gonna take alot of time..

My opinion of course...
10-02-2004 11:18 AM
RicarDog

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: RE: File Transfer Plus 1.1 ALPHA
quote:
Originally posted by provolino
the transfer plus plugin could send a checking command from sender to receiver before start sending (like msgplus does with ping command) so if the receiver answers, plugin is installed and transfer can starts, if he doesn't answer plugin is not installed so the transfer automatically switch to standard messenger protocol

The problem with this method is that if the receiver is laggy then it will be detected as "not installed", so I'd have to set a big timeout before it thinks it's not installed, which would delay the transfer. Also the MsgPlus API does not allow the plugin to send  a command that is not a reply to another command, so I'd have to use the "sendkeys hack" that does not work everytime. I don't know if that is better than asking your friend if he has the plugin installed, but it could be an option anyway :P

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
RicarDog - IMO release the beta.........then let users summit bugs with the beta and release the final...
I'll release it when all planned features for 1.1 are implemented, and the bug testing will be done while beta is out, but since a lot of people said the passive mode wasn't working, I thought it would be better to improve that before beta.
10-02-2004 04:22 PM
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
Hi! I really like what you've done with the plugin since the previous version of it (implemented all of my wishes for a future release), but there are a few problems when using auto-accept...
See what I mean here:

[Image: error.jpg]

And yes, the save directory DOES exist; I've triple checked it.

Also, as you can see, the auto-accept message appears in other conversation windows. No need for this!

And a little detail: I'm pretty certain that "Waiting connection" should be "Awaiting connection". ;)

//Zred

This post was edited on 10-02-2004 at 06:48 PM by ZrednaZ.
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
10-02-2004 06:48 PM
Pages: (50): « First « 11 12 13 14 [ 15 ] 16 17 18 19 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: