What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » OFFICIAL petition for a webcam video capture plugin

Pages: (10): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 9 » Last »
Poll: Would You Like To See a Plugin that can capture webcam video?
Yes
No
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
OFFICIAL petition for a webcam video capture plugin
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: OFFICIAL petition for a webcam video capture plugin
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
It should just record it in a non compressed RAW format like Fraps does.
For video there is not such a thing as a RAW format. It always is some kind of codec (even Fraps' RAW format is his own special format)...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-26-2004 03:07 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
erm... that's just what I said: "codec"... and codec is not RAW....

and the reason why a RAW format doesn't exist for video is because you always need to know things like: FPS, resolution, bitrate, etc.... and the moment you declare that in your RAW format, it isn't a RAW format anymore, but a specific fileformat...

This post was edited on 10-26-2004 at 05:35 PM by CookieRevised.
10-26-2004 05:32 PM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: OFFICIAL petition for a webcam video capture plugin
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
erm... that's just what I said: "codec"... and codec is not RAW....

and the reason why a RAW format doesn't exist for video is because you always need to know things like: FPS, resolution, bitrate, etc.... and the moment you declare that in your RAW format, it isn't a RAW format anymore, but a specific fileformat...

i didnt mean a .RAW format i mean just a simple avi none encoded into anything.....it would problably be huge but thats problem of the user.
10-26-2004 08:30 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
i didnt mean a .RAW format i mean just a simple avi none encoded into anything.....it would problably be huge but thats problem of the user.
yeah, I agree with that. But you will get those "I want format X" requests for sure ;)
10-27-2004 05:41 AM
VuDu

the idea about saving as different formats is stupid. talking about your example, not even Fraps has that option.

a perfect plugin would be one that had an option to enable/disable automatically recording to a file the conversation and that had 2 "buttons" to play/pause and stop the recording :P
[Image: sig1.gif]
Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
10-27-2004 12:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Derwan

51 / Male / –
Couple of comments:

1.  Should the "plugin" (if one can be created) also record audio at the same time?  That is, if you are having a conversation with webcam AND audio (or a videoconference), should it record both video and audio?  What about just audio?  Should the plugin also allow for that?

2.  As already mentioned, I believe any "plugin" should notify the other person through the MSN chat window that their webcam session is being recorded.  It could even go so far as to send a message saying that the recording will begin in 10 seconds (and to "stop the webcam if you do not want it to be recorded"), then another saying when the recording has started. This would give the person time to end the webcam session if they don't want it to be recorded.

3.  With regards to other programs, I believe it would be easier if this fuction was accessible from within the MSN chat window.  It would also allow for Number 2 above, which I think is very important.

They are my thoughts.  :-)
10-28-2004 02:58 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
VuDu

i dont agree with that. i don't think the other person should be notified. they aren't if u log the chat, so why would they need to with the video or audio?
even if u use camtasia and similar programs to record it, the other person isn't warned about it.
ppl just have to realise that u can't do whatever u want on msn, it's just like in the movies "everything said may and will be used against  you" :)

that's the wrong idea that is going on ppls minds. many think that they can say/do whatever they want on webcam/audio, same things happened with earlier windows messenger where u could chat  on everyones back talking shit about whoever they wanted.

if in real life things don't work that way, if u accept to turn webcam on, u have to understand ppl have the right to used that against u.
that's how i think.
of course they can do illegal things with it. but hey, no one forbids u  to go on a public space with a camcorder, make a video and use it illegally ;)
[Image: sig1.gif]
Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
10-28-2004 09:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
-dt-
Scripting Contest Winner

;o

35 / Male / Flag
bleh the main reson i have  against this is that the person recording can send your webcam convo to there friends insted of them being the only one who see's it
[Image: dt2.0v2.png]      Happy Birthday, WDZ
10-28-2004 10:52 AM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: OFFICIAL petition for a webcam video capture plugin
quote:
Originally posted by Derwan
Couple of comments:

1.  Should the "plugin" (if one can be created) also record audio at the same time?  That is, if you are having a conversation with webcam AND audio (or a videoconference), should it record both video and audio?  What about just audio?  Should the plugin also allow for that?

No. I would suggest if the dev make this plugin, he make another one to also record audio. They should be able to interact with each other on things like sync and stuff like that.

quote:

2.  As already mentioned, I believe any "plugin" should notify the other person through the MSN chat window that their webcam session is being recorded.  It could even go so far as to send a message saying that the recording will begin in 10 seconds (and to "stop the webcam if you do not want it to be recorded"), then another saying when the recording has started. This would give the person time to end the webcam session if they don't want it to be recorded.

Like stated should we then tell automatically our contacts we're recording their convo??

quote:

3.  With regards to other programs, I believe it would be easier if this fuction was accessible from within the MSN chat window.  It would also allow for Number 2 above, which I think is very important.

All plugins are....The Plus! Menu is there for a reason..

This post was edited on 10-28-2004 at 08:20 PM by riahc4.
10-28-2004 08:19 PM
Derwan

51 / Male / –
RE: RE: OFFICIAL petition for a webcam video capture plugin
quote:
Like stated should we then tell automatically our contacts we're recording their convo??

A couple of points to make on this one:

1.  Recording conversations is part of MSN Messenger functionality.  It is therefore expected that the person you are conversing with is (or at least is able to) save the conversation.  Even before logging was part of MSN Messenger (or Messenger Plus!), a user was able to either copy and paste or do a File, Save As from the Message window.

As recording video is not part of MSN Messenger functionality, the person may assume they are not being recorded - unless they have been advised.

2.  Recording a text convo is quite a bit different to recording what occurs on webcam.  A text convo contains words which (if someone really wanted) could be altered to suggest someone has said something they didn't.  It is very basic and, as already mentioned, has always been able to be recorded.

Many people are embarrassed enough to even go on webcam for a chat friend.  They may be outraged if they learnt that their webcam session was being recorded without their knowledge.

quote:
All plugins are....The Plus! Menu is there for a reason..

Exactly... I was agreeing with you.  :-)
10-28-2004 10:11 PM
Pages: (10): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 9 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: