What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Thread pruned... Why?

Pages: (5): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Thread pruned... Why?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  Thread pruned... Why?
in reference to AndreY's post.

How come this thread has been pruned? It is one of the more informative threads, which is becoming rare...  (clean of spam, double posts, repeated questions or anything of that kind)

yet it's gone :'(

This post was edited on 11-10-2004 at 03:19 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-10-2004 02:21 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

37 / Male / –
RE: Thread pruned... Why?
I agree such threads where important information is posted in a clear way (mostly thanks to Cookie ;))  should get half-stuck in order to have them always visible or unprunable.

I'm sure this one was pruned by mistake, but well... Wanted to give my two-cents.
11-10-2004 02:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
The subject is "JnrzLoader 6.1.0.211"? I'll restore it.

I shouldn't have pruned that one, but it's hard to tell if a thread is worthy of keeping without actually reading it, and that takes too long. I do mass pruning... hundreds of threads are deleted all at once, and I usually only look at the subject and the author. If a thread is posted by Patchou, for example, it will absolutely not be deleted. But when there isn't some obvious reason like that to keep it, I usually delete it.

I'm all for the "half-sticky" idea... I've thought about it before, but I'm lazy. :dodgy: Cookie could be allowed to do the half-sticking... :p There should be some kind of indicator that a thread is half-stuck... maybe a little image next to the subject in showthread where the thread rating is. *-)
11-10-2004 03:34 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
...who committed this crime :blah: ? wdz ? chrono ? :P

j/k, but it's a shame, cookies post was really informative

Edit:..oh, he admitted it already :blah: aargh

Yes, let's make cookie a half-sticky :chrongue:

This post was edited on 07-13-2006 at 02:37 PM by andrey.
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
11-10-2004 03:38 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

37 / Male / –
Andrey: Chrono hasn't the guts to do that :P (he simply isn't admin)
11-10-2004 04:00 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Thread pruned... Why?
lol, well I didn't want to stir up things though. It was more of a "reminder" that some posts (NOT only mine!) are informative. I knew WDZ often only reads the topic (what would you do when you need to prune 1000's of threads) and based on that prunes the thread.

I didn't wanted to blame anyone, only maybe start a discussion in finding a proper way to identify such threads.

Maybe some posts can simply be reposted though (like if it was 1 big informative post in a less informative/spammy thread), but for some threads, you need to read the whole thing...

Maybe making a list of some kind with "important" threads which may not be pruned? Something in between the thread-rating feature and the report-feature. Everybody can "recommend" a thread for not-pruning, but in the end admin decides.*

And I'm also thinking of an automatic redirection. For example like in this case. Let's say the thread has been pruned (because it contained to much offtopic/spam/etc...), but there was 1 informative post in it. Now, when people refer to that post, people will get the "this thread doesn't exist". Maybe it could be possible that the link is redirected to the reposted (new) message. If you know what I mean. *

(* note: these are just a wild thoughts, didn't think of the consequences/advantages/disadvantages/etc yet.)

;)

This post was edited on 11-10-2004 at 04:39 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-10-2004 04:28 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

37 / Male / –
More about wild thoughts:

I thought of this quite a while ago (bleh, when I started to come here regularly :P) and still think there should be a Relevant Post Repository.

this means: A list with all posts the staff assumes are important enough to be somehow listed and/or stored.

This would have several advantages:

It would (like in this specific case) avoid they are deleted or pruned without the consent of the staff itself (Yes, I'm talking about deny the permission of the thread opener to delete it if it contains at least one of such posts). Prunage, would obviously ignore those threads.

If well applied, it could make something similar to google's sponsorized results: bringing them to the top of the results list when searched by term. In fact, searching would run a subquery among these flagged posts and afterwards the other posts (I recall having asked for this once for sticky threads, some time ago).

It would visually help people to find what they are looking for. I'd put a (I) as special icon for all the threads containing a Relevant Post and for the posts themselves (no matter if as list entry, completely shown or linked in threaded mode).

It would help helpers to find interesting threads easier and linking them in their posts (eg: the 0x... error posts).

Well, hope that's most of the advantages.

Disadvantages (like "how much work for only one person") have been ignored :p

Oh, forgot to say that the list should only be modified by admins and mods (maybe elites, too?).

This post was edited on 11-10-2004 at 05:16 PM by KeyStorm.
11-10-2004 05:13 PM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by AndreY
wdz ? chrono ?
:cry:
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Chrono hasn't the guts to do that
:dodgy:
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
(he simply isn't admin)
now thats a better reason :chrongue:

Now about the "half stick" idea, i like it. Maybe the thread wont be sticked at all, but it will have some kind of mark.
The idea would be that every admin, mod and elite can "half stick" a thread, so wdz wont delete them when he's doing the prune :cheesy:

The only "bad" thing is that someone (probably cookie :P) will have to go to all his bookmarked threads and start to half stick them, but this is certainly a better idea than the "list" u are talking about, as its more efficient (Y)
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
11-10-2004 05:54 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

37 / Male / –
Chrono, you didn't get me (again :dodgy:). Hope it's not because of my English :rolleyes:.

Well, the idea is indeed to flag the posts as relevant/interesting/whatsoever. After that, a digest of all flagged/tagged/marked posts would be self-generated and show a list with all the flagged posts. Nothing more, nothing less... :-/

This post was edited on 11-10-2004 at 06:28 PM by KeyStorm.
11-10-2004 06:23 PM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
tbh i didnt read ur long post, just parts of it :refuck:
Now that i re-read ir (:dodgy:!) i think its a great idea :cheesy:
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
11-10-2004 06:28 PM