What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Messenger Plus! POP3 Gmail Limitations

Pages: (5): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 » Last »
Messenger Plus! POP3 Gmail Limitations
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: MsgPlus! 3.50 Pop3 Gmail Limitations
quote:
Originally posted by eltipito
i had de same problem but without gmail, with @argentina.com!....

Reads all the mails, unread and read!......
That doesn't nessecairly mean it is the same fault. Can you test if sent mails are also counted?

If this isn't the case then that is a common thing which some POP3 hosts do (many of which also support webmail). Instead of returning the number of unread mails, they return the number of all mails in the inbox (sent mails aren't counted).

But, again this is a bad implementation of the POP3 standard, but a very common one.

The only solution is to disable "leave mails on server" in your POP3 client program (as it should be anyways, because the purpose of a POP3 mail is that you download your mails to your computer (and delete them from the server) before you read them).

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
Yes, someone could make a Plus! plugin that does this and doesn't even use the SSL POP3 feature and just parses the gmail page like gmail checker and other programs do.
That still would require SSL, only this time it is handled by your browser.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-19-2005 02:53 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
RE: MsgPlus! 3.50 Pop3 Gmail Limitations
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
Yes, someone could make a Plus! plugin that does this and doesn't even use the SSL POP3 feature and just parses the gmail page like gmail checker and other programs do.
That still would require SSL, only this time it is handled by your browser.

of course! :)

Some temporary alternatives until/or if a Plus! Plugin is created are:

Gmail Notifier - Google's official Gmail Notifier

GTray - Gtray is a very fast unofficial notifier program that uses very low amount of resources - I used to be a moderator at the forum for this application but then ran out of time to help in its development!

Gmail Notifier for Firefox - Unofficial Gmail Notifier that notifies you when you are using firefox!

G-Notifier -Open source unofficial Gmail notifier! Shows you some of the recieved messages so you can decided which you want to read!

EDIT: cookie you might wanna put some of these in your first post :)

This post was edited on 03-19-2005 at 09:09 PM by Chestah.
Segosa is newb.
03-19-2005 03:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
KennyERJ

Have A Great Day!

57 / Male / Flag
Mine does the same thing with my Earthlink email account. It started out showing 15 new emails when there were none and now 6 days later it is showing 28 new emails when there are none. One thing I wanted to say about Gmail too, is that they have a G-Notifier that works great with Gmail. It sits in your system tray and besides just telling you how many new emails you have, it actually gives you a little preview of the new email that have come in so you can decide if it's something worth checking.

03-19-2005 02:00 PM
zipmegabyte

Isn't there a way to check email through Gmail RSS feed capabilities?
03-19-2005 04:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by zipmegabyte
Isn't there a way to check email through Gmail RSS feed capabilities?

Yes, i believe that is possible, and i actually think their is a RSS plugin for msgplus out there somewhere, i'll go and check for you and see if i can find it :)

EDIT: thankyou KennyERJ your suggestion has been added :)

This post was edited on 03-19-2005 at 09:10 PM by Chestah.
Segosa is newb.
03-19-2005 09:06 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
There already is a thread with Gmail notifiers (and other Gmail stuff) :D Check out this post.

Anyways this thread is about MsgPlus! 3.50 Pop3 Gmail Limitations, not about alternative Gmail checkers. Lets try and stay on topic :P

Checking Gmail works fine (the counts..ofcourse the checkin from Plus! works perfectly fine) if you forward everything into your pop3 email client (ISP e-mailaddy - not leaving any messages on the server or let Gmail archive the copy) or when you just follow the tips mentioned before:
- Archive messages in inbox after you read them (you can still access em in "all mail")
- After you've sent mail (and you find the email count too high) go into Gmail settings > forwarding and pop ... check "enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on", click save.

This post was edited on 03-19-2005 at 10:00 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
03-19-2005 09:46 PM
JMMB

Huh?  RE: MsgPlus! 3.50 Pop3 Gmail Limitations
   I've been having the same problems with gmail only I've tried everything in this thread and it still tells me I have five e-mails every time, even now that I've permanently deleted every last one and tried multiple different combinations of settings.  My messenger keeps telling windows that I have five unread messages, so that shows up on the XP welcome/login screen and it won't go away!:@  I've tried everything I can think of can anyone help me?!:(

JMMB
03-26-2005 09:01 PM
Ricey

So basically, Patchou lied to us all when he said messenger plus would be compatible with gmail

(N)
03-27-2005 11:24 AM
blackjack

=/

36 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: MsgPlus! 3.50 Pop3 Gmail Limitations
quote:
Originally posted by Ricey
So basically, Patchou lied to us all when he said messenger plus would be compatible with gmail

(N)

No he did not lie.. read the whole thread please 8-)
[Image: z3n0900.ashx]
03-27-2005 11:29 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: MsgPlus! 3.50 Pop3 Gmail Limitations
quote:
Originally posted by JMMB
I've been having the same problems with gmail only I've tried everything in this thread and it still tells me I have five e-mails every time, even now that I've permanently deleted every last one and tried multiple different combinations of settings.  My messenger keeps telling windows that I have five unread messages, so that shows up on the XP welcome/login screen and it won't go away!:@  I've tried everything I can think of can anyone help me?!:(
This has most likely nothing to do with GMail nor with Messenger Plus!, but rather with your Windows itself. Take a look at my old post "CookieRevised's reply to email glitching" (windows issues)...

This post was edited on 03-29-2005 at 12:54 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-29-2005 12:52 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (5): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: