What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Messenger Plus! POP3 Gmail Limitations

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
Messenger Plus! POP3 Gmail Limitations
Author: Message:
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
RE: MsgPlus! 3.5 Pop3 Gmail Limitations
I doubt they'll fix it but we can hope i guess :P
Segosa is newb.
06-03-2005 09:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
axemaster9

sorry if this is stupid... first time poster and all...

this limitation has really been bugging me...
im no script expert, but there are some scripts for gmail out there... would it be at all feasable to have one go to the settings and disable then reenable pop3 (for mail since now) in gmail every time Messenger Plus checks for new mail? this combined with archiving all new mail in the inbox would give a reliable count for new messages only... except for conversations with more that one message on them i suppose...

anyway, just a thought...
06-08-2005 07:04 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
Maybe, but Gmail is pretty secure, and uses XML-RPC to download pages, so you might have to resort to mouse macros to control a browser window to do it. You could always ask someone in Tech Talk, or at msnfanatic.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
06-13-2005 09:24 AM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by axemaster9
sorry if this is stupid... first time poster and all...

this limitation has really been bugging me...
im no script expert, but there are some scripts for gmail out there... would it be at all feasable to have one go to the settings and disable then reenable pop3 (for mail since now) in gmail every time Messenger Plus checks for new mail? this combined with archiving all new mail in the inbox would give a reliable count for new messages only... except for conversations with more that one message on them i suppose...

anyway, just a thought...

it is possibly i guess, to do it. But if Patchou adds a way for people to get around the Gmail problem, then other people who might have another problem with a different e-mail server will then ask for it to be fixed and use the argument that "Patchou fixed the gmail problem, why can't he fix this one?".

Furthermore, if you do this, then you are appeasing google, and sending out the message that it is ok not to follow protocols because everyone else will work around your misinterpritation of the protocols.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
07-30-2005 02:14 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
it is possibly i guess, to do it. But if Patchou adds a way for people to get around the Gmail problem, then other people who might have another problem with a different e-mail server will then ask for it to be fixed and use the argument that "Patchou fixed the gmail problem, why can't he fix this one?".

Furthermore, if you do this, then you are appeasing google, and sending out the message that it is ok not to follow protocols because everyone else will work around your misinterpritation of the protocols.

Yep Saralk has it completely correct :), this is why we made this thread in the first place, as when Msgplus 3.5 was released it was around the time of the big Gmail craze where it seemed everyone had and wanted gmail. If patchou codes  in a feature for gmail then every other email system that does not follow the correct protocols of POP3 will be requested bloating Msgplus! Features like these are left to Plugin Makers :)

EDIT: Thanks Chris for changing the title of this thread, note with the immient release of Msgplus 3.6 this limitation will affect it as well as 3.5 and most likely all future versions.

This post was edited on 09-19-2005 at 06:09 AM by Chestah.
Segosa is newb.
09-19-2005 06:04 AM
Tom1807

– / Male / –
RE: MsgPlus! Pop3 Gmail Limitations
And what about implementing something similar like RSS. I know it sounds maybe silly, but with Opera I can check the emails by RSS feed. So maybe something similar can be implemented.

Greetings
Tom

Note to myself: I should search the forum before posting. Thanks Ddunk

This post was edited on 09-27-2005 at 06:55 AM by Tom1807.
09-27-2005 06:47 AM
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Tom1807
And what about implementing something similar like RSS. I know it sounds maybe silly, but with Opera I can check the emails by RSS feed. So maybe something similar can be implemented.

Greetings
Tom

There's already a plugin for that. See RssPlug Beta 0.3 :)
09-27-2005 06:49 AM
BigTrev

35 / Male / –
What about if you just make as new gmail account just for plus. Than have your other one forward the mail, then as soon as you read i delete it from the 2nd account as you will have it in your normal account.

Thanks Trev
Want hosting? have a look on HugotonHosting
09-27-2005 07:11 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
hmm, actually i think that will work. Try it out and please post back here if it works :)
Segosa is newb.
09-27-2005 08:12 AM
soul4arg

I try all the settings, but my msgplus can't detect anyways. It just can't detect from pop3.
12-24-2005 05:01 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: