What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Rant against good for nothing MS bashers.

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
Rant against good for nothing MS bashers.
Author: Message:
Fourjays

Jaguar E-Type

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers.
quote:
Originally posted by Svip
because a lot of people are locked within Windows, because of programs/games only written for Windows

True enough. It would be cool if there was a way for software developers to make their products inter-OS compatible, without having to re-code the entire thing. Something like that would probably have to come down to an agreement between the creators of different OS's, to build in some kind of special code into their systems. And that isn't going to happen.

quote:
Linux also knows that it wins on the server market
Easily. :) Only thing that annoys me sometimes is that the CHMODs can sometimes be a pain in the big behind, but they are there for security, so...

quote:
And Microsoft is going to write it's own Linux distro soon.
You learn something new everyday. It would be good for MS to join in the Open Source community a bit more.
[Image: msgsig7yx.jpg]
A new range of internet based services... Coming Soon(ish)! - www.fortheinter.net
08-03-2005 11:45 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Max

34 / Male / –
RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers.
* Patches is going to use Saralk's Coursework as his own and re word it. :D
08-03-2005 11:47 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patches
* Patches is going to use Saralk's Coursework as his own and re word it. :D

1) :dodgy:
2) you can just type /me instead of using the colour codes :p

quote:
Originally posted by Fourjays
True enough. It would be cool if there was a way for software developers to make their products inter-OS compatible, without having to re-code the entire thing. Something like that would probably have to come down to an agreement between the creators of different OS's, to build in some kind of special code into their systems. And that isn't going to happen.

isn't that what Java is for?
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
08-03-2005 12:03 PM
Fourjays

Jaguar E-Type

36 / Male / –
Not sure really. I don't have much experience with it. Its installed on my system, my AV says once a week its found a virus in it (which is actually a file in the Java cache). Thats about all know. :D

Im talking about something that would let you take ANY peice of software, and install it on ANY OS, without buying a different version, or running any patches, etc.

For example, you could buy a game, and install it on Windows. You could then take that disc, and install it on Linux and Mac too.
A new range of internet based services... Coming Soon(ish)! - www.fortheinter.net
08-03-2005 01:20 PM
Max

34 / Male / –
Eh. I might as well do it the hard way. :P
08-03-2005 01:20 PM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I bet the minority have even seen a Mac in use

1st PC i ever used was a Apple mac, back in 1984 i think it was,  then my real use of PC's was at High skool. IBM clones.  but im not gonna get into a Debate an thats what the subject of this thread will do. im sure a lot of you know im a Linux Fan, i wont say why as its just gonna just be debatable  an turn into an arguement, so no point in doing thnatt. but with a lot of or some Windows Programs can be Ran on a Linux Playform  by using WINE , i have never installed a Windows Program in a Linux OS, i cant see the point in doing that, i now use Suse a bit but aint intending to stick with it,,  but both Windows an linux have there bad an good pointds
08-03-2005 01:36 PM
Fourjays

Jaguar E-Type

36 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Animal
but both Windows an linux have there bad an good pointds

Couldn't of put it better myself. :)

One thing Ive always noticed is that some people tend to prefer what they grew up with, which is quite a natural, normal, and reasonable explanation for having a preference over one system over another. :)
08-03-2005 02:02 PM
segosa
Community's Choice

I'll give you a good example where Linux wins for security.

Suppose you use Firefox 1.0.6 and an unpatched vulnerability is discovered. You already use a normal user account but if this exploit was abused it could allow malicious code to execute. What you could do is set up a new user 'firefox' and always run Firefox with that account's user permissions. In the rare case it might be exploited, the mailicious code could only do stuff inside /home/firefox, which would be an empty directory (of course this assumes you're patched and that there are no local root exploits...).

I know this can be done with Windows too, but Windows is far too ambiguous with what is possible on a user account for my liking.

I like Linux because it's different. It's a nice welcome change from Windows. Its powerful commandline attracts me also.

The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
08-03-2005 02:52 PM
lil_msdifficult

I am in totally agreeance with the original posting for this. Great job on the rant for sure! ;)
08-03-2005 03:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
emit
Disabled Account

Linux is vastly more stable, has higher uptimes and is more secure in general. What people don't realise about the existing viruses for Linux is that they are infinitely worse for the system, they rip the whole infrastructure apart. They're usually perl based too, so as long as you keep your perl secure you will never get a linux virus.
08-03-2005 03:29 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: