What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » New add-on for MSN Messenger

Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 » Last »
New add-on for MSN Messenger
Author: Message:
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger
quote:
Originally posted by bgarrun
PS: If anyone have any idea on how to solve the tokens issue - please let me know !

get rid of them it runs the quality of the service that's why everyone uninsatlled it :sad:
08-09-2005 04:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Regarding what Absorbation said (about the links) :
Each time you send SweetIM content (emoticons, winks, audibles, sound effects, etc..), we have to send some tokens to the second peer to identify the content that should be presented. To achieve this we are sending a special link that represents the content to play. Those users that don't have it installed will get a one click access to install it; and those that have it installed will enjoy the content and won't get the tokens.

It does NOT send anything automatically !

PS: If anyone have any idea on how to solve the tokens issue - please let me know !

The SweetIM Software and Services may be incorporated into, and may incorporate, technology, software and services owned and controlled by third parties. Use of such third party software or services is subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable third party license agreements, and you agree to look solely to the applicable third party and not to Macrogaming to enforce any of your rights.

The Software also uses "cookies". We use the cookies to store a code designating a distribution source for the Software. This information allows us to properly distinguish Software for purposes of compensating third parties who distribute our product and to analyze retention and usage on an aggregated basis.

During conversations with other peers the software will occasionally send automatic invitations to join the SweetIM community and to enable them to view and enjoy the software content, features and website.
but you just said...
quote:

This post was edited on 08-09-2005 at 04:37 PM by mwe99.
08-09-2005 04:36 PM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
During conversations with other peers the software will occasionally send automatic invitations to join the SweetIM community and to enable them to view and enjoy the software content, features and website.
but you just said...
quote:

you got him there :P
08-09-2005 04:40 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Well i didnt mean to its just dodgy , also if he uses third parties and doesnt tell us on the install then is it techincally spyware?
08-09-2005 04:42 PM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
Isnt this thread spam?
Well You have been caught lying and thats not a good incentive to download your thing....
If you are a group, can you solve the issues yourself or not? Thats means inexperience...
I wont download it.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
08-09-2005 04:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
isnt this thread spam?

no we're discussing the program in the title

quote:
Originally posted by MsgPlus! Rules

Spam: Any post that is off-topic or contributes nothing useful or interesting to a thread is considered to be spam. Most spam posts will be moved or deleted.

Well I think the "programmers" don't know their own program especially as I pointed out contradictions.

This post was edited on 08-09-2005 at 04:58 PM by mwe99.
08-09-2005 04:57 PM
bgarrun

O.P. RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger
Thanks again for your feedbacks guys.

Absorbation - what do you mean exactly ? ?

Regarding these paragraphs from SweetIM EULA - these are pretty standard:

----
"The SweetIM Software and Services may be incorporated into, and may incorporate, technology, software and services owned and controlled by third parties."

"The Software also uses "cookies". We use the cookies to store a code designating a distribution source for the Software. This information allows us to properly distinguish Software for purposes of compensating third parties who distribute our product and to analyze retention and usage on an aggregated basis."

We may add 3rd parties content (like Games, Display Pictures, Nudges, etc...) in order to enhance the product offering. This content may be provided by 3rd parties.

---
"During conversations with other peers the software will occasionally send automatic invitations to join the SweetIM community and to enable them to view and enjoy the software content, features and website. "

By saying "automatic" we mean just what I said:
ONLY when "User A" has SweetIM, and "User B" does NOT, and "User A" decides to send SweetIM content (emoticons, winks, audibles, sound fx, etc...) to "User B" - then "User B" will receive an "automatic" invitation to download our software.

Even MSN Messenger does that !
Let's say "User A" has Messenger 7, and "User B" has Messenger 6.2 (or even Windows Messenger), and "User A" sends a wink to "User B", then "User B" will receive an "automatic" invitation (like we send) to install the latest version of messenger.

This is an example of what I mean:
"User A sent you a wink which requires the latest version of MSN Messenger. To download the latest version of MSN Messenger, go to http://g.msn.com/5meen_us/122."

so yes, you can call that "automatic".  But when I said earlier that SweetIM does NOT send anything automatically, I meant that SweetIM does NOT send anything with out the user's knowing that or without interference of the user.
We should clarify that on the EULA... Thanks !

A few people have already noticed me concerning a few other paragraphs of the EULA, and I would like to clarify that manners for you guys too:

---
"In order to receive the benefits provided by the SweetIM Software, you hereby grant permission for the SweetIM Software to (i) utilize the processor and bandwidth of your computer (ii) use certain personal information that you have submitted to your instant messenger provider."

(i) SweetIM application is standard Windows application. It needs CPU and access to internet for content activation.

(ii) We plan to run contests and other activities. For these services we may need your Nick name to publish the Winners and contact for prizes distribution.
---

---
"The Software is exposed to various security issues, and should be regarded as unsecure. By accepting this Agreement, you acknowledge and accept that the Software, and any information you download or offer to share by means of the Software, may be exposed to unauthorized access, interception, corruption, damage or misuse."

SweetIM security is based on C2 (Orange Book) guidelines. This means that it's not 200% secured (most applications are not!) but at SweetIM we take security and privacy very serious and we did our best on that manner. The communication with our servers is fully encrypted, the client does not open incoming sockets, and more...
---

Hope that this answers your concerns,
Ben
08-09-2005 05:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:

(ii) We plan to run contests and other activities. For these services we may need your Nick name to publish the Winners and contact for prizes distribution.

some people might not want to be, you should have the option. If you're doing that you need to include the Data Protection Act and taking cookies without permission is wrong :cookie:

This post was edited on 08-09-2005 at 05:21 PM by mwe99.
08-09-2005 05:13 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

To be honest, this is no better than BuddyIcons or Smiley Central, it ruins the MSN Messenger experience, by pretty much advertising the hell out of your website while innocent people are using MSN Messenger, we don't want adverts rammed in our faces if somebody sends somebody a smiley.
08-09-2005 05:18 PM
Tasha

31 / Female / Flag

quote:
Even MSN Messenger does that !
Let's say "User A" has Messenger 7, and "User B" has Messenger 6.2 (or even Windows Messenger), and "User A" sends a wink to "User B", then "User B" will receive an "automatic" invitation (like we send) to install the latest version of messenger.

I'm sorry, but to the best of my knowledge, that does not happen. I before have had 6.2, and a friend, who had 7, tried to send me a wink and a nudge, and I got no such message.

I myself sent a nudge and several winks to my brother who had 6.2, just to see what it said to the both of us (this was a while back) and nothing was shown at all. The only prompt you get to download the latest version is on your contact list.

quote:
(ii) use certain personal information that you have submitted to your instant messenger provider."

That should be an option too. I personally (if I was to use the program, which I shall not be doing incidentally), would not want any of my personal information to be sent to you or published at all.

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
To be honest, this is no better than BuddyIcons or Smiley Central, it ruins the MSN Messenger experience, by pretty much advertising the hell out of your website while innocent people are using MSN Messenger, we don't want adverts rammed in our faces if somebody sends somebody a smiley.

yeah, I agree. When I first saw this I was reminded strongly of Smiley Central and the way they advertise. Some people don't know any better, and may just install this without knowing what it could possibly do to the computer, or not realising that you have a hold of their information.
www.mycutelobster.co.uk
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
08-09-2005 05:24 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: