What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » New add-on for MSN Messenger

Pages: (7): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 » Last »
New add-on for MSN Messenger
Author: Message:
bgarrun

O.P. RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger
Guys, we would like to thank you again for all your inputs, both positive and negative ones !

Choosing not to install a software on its first few days of Alpha release is reasonable.   We understand your concerns, and we can promise you that we will not repeat other software’s horrible mistakes.

I would like to get your inputs regarding what to do with the tokens/link issue:

Since most of you were complaining about this - we will probably change this!   However, this leaves us with an unsolved issue - What should we do with the tokens/tags that we _must_ send when sending an emoticon, wink, sound effect, audible, etc...

As mentioned earlier - each time you send SweetIM content, we have to send some tokens/tags to the second peer to identify the content that should be presented. Those that have SweetIM installed only see the content and don't get the tokens/tags.
But those who don't have SweetIM - have to see _Something_ ! (will see the Tokens)

The idea was that when a person receives tokens that have no meaning - this will be annoying.  So we were thinking of solving this by informing the person that receives the tokens that his friend is trying to send him some cool stuff, and he has to DL SweetIM in order to see it / send it to others.

As most of you probably know - the current sentence is: "Get Emoticons and other cool stuff - free! <link><tokens>"
(Guess we should have been more creative with that sentence cause it does sounds like an advertisement) .

We would like to get your suggestions on a new sentence that will fit better, but will let the other side know that his friend just tried to send him something, instead of just showing him some tags without any meaning...

Take a look at what one of our users suggested in our forum:

Our forum

greg098:
quote:
Since I first downloaded this program, ive fallen in love with it. Its great, however I do have one issue. When you send someone an emoticon, wink etc. to someone who does not have this program, it just gives them this huge link to ur site (and it looks horrible). It would be easier and  I think a lot better if something would display on their screen saying that I have just tried to send them an SWEETIM content and you need to download it from 'here' to view it. This program is free and 100% virus and spyware free.
This way, ppl wont be scared to download it and more ppl will download it because its spreading the word.

Personally I was thinking of something like:

"Your buddy is trying to send you a cool (or SweetIM) emoticon (or wink when sending wink, etc...).  In order to see/send it - you can download SweetIM at <link><token>. "

PS. The tokens are in purpose part of the link not intermediating users with gibberish.

Please send your suggestions regarding this manner, so we would solve this issue for good…

Thanks again,

Ben

This post was edited on 08-10-2005 at 10:09 AM by bgarrun.
08-10-2005 10:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
multimillion2k

– / Male / –
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger
I think msgplus is a good example - with plugins like stuffplug you can send larger emoticons, easily manage (steal) DPs. Other things like formatting and changing colour of text; Plus! sounds etc - they require both parties to have msgplus installed. Granted, this is a protocol thing, but if it only had features that worked when both contacts had the program, it would have been nowhere near as successful.
08-10-2005 10:31 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by bgarrun
PS. The tokens are in purpose part of the link not intermediating users with gibberish.
If you just send the code, or maybe send [Sweet-im]code then the other user will ask "Whats that" "oh a cool emoticon you need sweet im to see it"
This will be better than the tokens because the software is beeing recomended by a person they know, not sounding like an automated message that brings memorys of smiley centeral
08-10-2005 10:36 AM
Max

34 / Male / –
Good idea, shame it seems to have some security flaws in it.
08-10-2005 11:01 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
I would if there was no spy/ad/mal/whatever ware included :sad:
no link poster please :cry:

Looks good but that link show'wer thing kills it :sad:
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
08-10-2005 11:14 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
kipper2258

Yes - Maybe a ping asking for a responce - if it get one from the other user saying it has got sweetim then don't send and tell the user so, otherwise execute as normal.

And yes, the current phrasing is poor, and makes it look much like many other dodgy services - Something like To see this you need SweetIM - just so people have abit more idea of the purpose of the message.

Edit: And yes, make sure there is nothingthat could be percived as spyware/adware, and more clear terms that highlights the nature and usage of data and the like would be good, rather than so vague - because although this covers you it leaves the rest of us thinking it is some advert stunt.

Also - Active members and well known users help - You could have posted before about the project, and this would have been a good way to research your target market before designing.

This post was edited on 08-10-2005 at 02:40 PM by kipper2258.
[Image: w2m/]
Yeah - Im a kipper - A salted fish...
The fish inside me's Blog.

World domination!
08-10-2005 02:37 PM
bgarrun

ok guys, once again - we thank you for your help !

I would like to remind you all that this is an alpha version, meaning we still have a lot of time for changes, new features and product design decisions.   

That is why I decided to ask you guys for advices....
I want the final release to be a blast !

Regarding the sentence we send when a user sends out content - we will decide on that manner very soon, and make the changes we need to make...

We would like to hear some more suggestions - so if anyone still has something on his mind - now is the time ! 

Thanks,
Ben
08-11-2005 06:33 PM
oxygenuk

another suggestion. add win9x support.

also for people that dont have sweetIM, if they cant see emotions the code for the emotion should be sent along with a short message like "sweetIM is required to view this download it here www.com"

:P

08-12-2005 08:44 PM
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
don't you just love it when people tear apart a program :refuck:
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6659 days, 4 hours, 8 minutes, 7 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
08-12-2005 08:55 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
bgarrun

Just to let you know - We're planning a content update by the end of this week...

Which means that you can expect to find some new emoticons, winks, audibles, and sound FX in your menu...

We will try to keep updating with new content at least twice a month, and of course we will add some new features and categories in the future !

We're also going to update the sentence we were talking about - very shortly.

Enjoy,
Ben

SweetIM WebSite
08-15-2005 03:48 PM
Pages: (7): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: