What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Petition to save Messenger Plus!

Pages: (29): « First « 24 25 26 27 [ 28 ] 29 » Last »
Petition to save Messenger Plus!
Author: Message:
masken

RE: Petition to save Messenger Plus!
@lou_habs, did you have problems understanding what application I meant? Why else the ridiculus pointer?

@lou_habs, Ezra & Matty: Read my post again, it doesn't matter if the main executable doesn't contain spyware, the installer does. It doesn't matter if it's optional. An application most often consists of a whole set of files, including an installer. Even when it's a clear case of spy- or adware, most of them does not contain bad code, most likely just a single dll or an executable has the bad code. But it still grants a strike.

And again, technically, I think it's motivated. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and that it's drawn at the state where an application in any way could install ad- or spyware is totally right if you ask me. Even if Patchou's application handles this in an ethically correct way, there are ALOT of coders who doesn't, that's why we have a problem in the first place. Couldn't be more logical if you ask me....

All I'm saying is that I totally understand why Patchou is having this problem. Sad but true - most often there's a minority f*cking this up for a majority. Blame the authors of ad- & spyware.
09-04-2005 11:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
-rafy-

36 / Male / –
Hmm the "Save Messenger Plus!" part is a bit dramatic.

Its not really under any threat of closure.
Rafy.

09-04-2005 12:50 PM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by -rafy-
Its not really under any threat of closure
Patchou said it was
quote:
Originally posted by masken
@lou_habs, did you have problems understanding what application I meant? Why else the ridiculus pointer?
Make yourself clearer.
quote:
Originally posted by masken
@lou_habs, Ezra & Matty: Read my post again, it doesn't matter
Yes it does. Its that simple. It matters. Now stop flaming plus and leave.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
09-04-2005 01:21 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:

not if so many people use MSAS and cant even run the main .exe with the sponsor insatlled or not. It asked me to upgrade to the new beta but instead I just uninsatlled.
09-04-2005 01:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Petition to save Messenger Plus!
quote:

In a few years MS AntiSpyware may come on every PC with Windows installed as standard (or even in an updated service pack).
Now even if the option to have it installed is purely optional the problem is simple in that many computer users will think along the lines of "ah its a state of the art anti-spyware program that does a good job, that's worth the install" and if it wasn't for this carry on I would think the same.

However back to the point that 80% of Windows computers (in the very long term) will have a program installed that stops Messenger Plus from being installed means very simply that a lot of Plus's audience will not be able to have it installed. This will mean only people who don't have MS AntiSpyware installed will be able to use it, and as more and more people will use MS Antispyware less and less people will use Plus.

The result - Thousands of people flood here to ask for reasons why Plus doesn't work with MS antispyware and when they find out why they don't want to uninstall MS Antispyware. MSG Plus has such a reduced number of people using it that Patchou gives up developing it. Everyone is disappointed.

So it is based on predicted facts from current conditions, not at all dramatic.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
09-04-2005 02:04 PM
Schockwave

On Top of a Mountain

Well, if Microsoft do put their anti-spyware in with Windows, I have no intention to use it, as my anti-virus and firewall do the job, and as long as I do not install the adware with Messenger Plus, I have no problems. It is surprising that MS anti-spyware still decides that there is adware in the installer, does not make sense, and this does need to be sorted. The only other way round would be for everyone to pay something to use this software, but then probably a lot of people would not want to use the software, unfortunately.

Reading the messages here, it is amazing what some people seem to think they know and unfortunately do not come up with anything sensible to say, except to criticise and put Patchou down, whom I am sure has worked hard and is still working hard to get it to work with MSN Messenger and MS anti-spyware. If there was adware in the installer, then I would not have been able to install Messenger Plus!

Keep up the good work, Patchou, do not let people get you down and good luck with your petition with Microsoft, hopefully you can come to a successful conclusion !;)
AIM: schockwave500
Yahoo: schockwave500
MSN Messenger: mystery500@live.com

09-04-2005 04:12 PM
cardshark

Insanity at its Finest

40 / Male / –
I think what many people are not understanding is that MSAS is detecting the program itself, and not the installer. From the petition itself:

"In a recent update of Microsoft Anti-Spyware, the threat level of Messenger Plus! was lowered from 3/5 to 2/5, which was a good thing, however, the program itself, msgplus.exe, is now detected immediately at system startup or whenever run manually by the user, and the following message is displayed in bold red: "Warning, Messenger Plus! Software Bundler is trying to install!". In addition to discouraging anybody in their right mind to click "Allow", this message is, to put it simply, a lie. Messenger Plus! is not a "threat" and it certainly is not trying to "install itself on your computer", it's already been installed at this point and the program is just trying to run and do what the user expects it to do."

The anti-virus software is detecting it after Plus! is already installed, with or without the sponsor program. That is what the problem is. The program itself is being flagged as spyware when it clearly is not. There should be no confusion about it: they are detecting the Messenger Plus! program, not the installer. That is why Patchou is going through all the trouble with this petition, and why anyone who likes to use Plus! should give their support to get the issue resolved.
09-04-2005 11:03 PM
joao267

We Will save msg Plus !!!
I've sight it too.
I have Microsoft Anti-spyware and I set it to always ignore msg Plus, and since that I never had more problems.
09-05-2005 12:54 AM
expert

Im back

31 / Male / –
how many sigs do you need to convince them??
[Image: bar9sk.jpg]
09-05-2005 12:59 AM
TemMan

Much as though I like Messenger Plus, I have to say for the millions of mums and dads and computer illiterates who are naive and just install software without reading the fine print... by even installing adware Messenger Plus is part of the adware/spyware problem.

Yes, I realised it's not the main executable. Yes, I realise the installer is the only thing that could potentially install adware.

But you know, it doesn't make any difference.

There are thousands of adware/spyware coders out there who lie and deceive and inject all manner of tricky code in there that wrecks the performance and operation of millions of PCs. Even "harmless adware" reaches a disruptive critical mass when you have dozens of programs all installed on one computer. I've seen it myself.

And when you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas. And that's what happened with Messenger Plus.

For me, I'm computer literate enough to read and understand what I am installing and make sure that I never install admware or spyware knowingly.

Patchou... I would strongly suggest you find some other way to gain/maintain your sponsors. Your application is great and you might win the battle here.. but in the long run I think you will lose the war.

Someone else will eventually develop a free enhancement to MSN without an adware installer... with an alternative revenue method... and then where will you be?
09-05-2005 01:43 AM
Pages: (29): « First « 24 25 26 27 [ 28 ] 29 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: