What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Official Msgplus Chat Channel?

Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 9 » Last »
Official Msgplus Chat Channel?
Author: Message:
kittymew

Bitten By A snowball in hell!

– / Female / –
RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel?
I refuse to nitpick or argue..as I don't think arguing is relevent or solves anything..I just listed some ideas..

..Post.."a communication median between participants in a discussion"

and i am hoping you didnt refer to me as a child or kid..as I am far from that..:)

and again i have been iin IRC for longer than five minutes.

By no means have my post meant to detrement or attack anyone in any way..simply some ideas put forward..thats is all..I am sorry if i have upset you.:(
11-02-2005 10:20 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Omar
Spammin' Member!

I have Chrono in my hands! MWAHAHA!!

47 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by beamy-kitty
I refuse to nitpick or argue..as I don't think arguing is relevent or solves anything..
with all due respect... but what are you doing here then????

This is a "discussion forum"... you know....
Comunidad Hispana Oficial del Messenger Plus!  
TReKiE, you might as well face it... you are a dutchie (clogs, tulips and all that) :banana:
11-02-2005 10:22 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
kittymew

– / Female / –
RE: RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel?
quote:
Originally posted by Omar
quote:
I refuse to nitpick or argue..as I don't think arguing is relevent or solves anything..
with all due respect... but what are you doing here then????

This is a "discussion forum"... you know....

Discussion and arguing have two different meanings..
to discuss doesnt mean to argue

Noun 1. discussion - an extended communication (often interactive) dealing with some particular topic; "the book contains an excellent discussion of modal logic"; "his treatment of the race question is badly biased"
Synonyms: discourse, treatment
2. discussion - an exchange of views on some topic; "we had a good discussion"; "we had a word or two about it"
Synonyms: give-and-take, word

argue:To put forth reasons for or against something, often excitedly: contend, debate, dispute, moot. See affirm, words
To engage in a quarrel: bicker, contend, dispute, fight, quarrel, quibble, spat, squabble, tiff, wrangle. Informal: hassle, tangle.
To put into words positively and with conviction: affirm, allege, assert, asseverate, aver, avouch, avow, claim, contend, declare, hold, maintain, say, state. Idiom: have it. See affirm
To give grounds for believing in the existence or presence of: attest, bespeak, betoken, indicate, mark, point to, testify, witness. See show

arguing is confrontational...discussion is unconfrontational
11-02-2005 10:31 PM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel?
Alot of valid points have been made. But let me just say my opinion.

As Cookie has stated, the channel has changed for the worse. A "general chat" channel is one were you can just chat about things. Not be trolling, flameing, or abusing powers. As the channel stands now, there are people who abuse there powers, and those in which kick/ban people who come in for help. I'm not naming names, but those of you know who I'm talking about. IRC shouldn't have extreme rules, just ones that are clrealy inforced that will make the channel run smoother. As to say, no flaming, no abusing, no kicking people who go in the wrong channel for support. But to move them with the !move command. I mean, that is what it was created for right? There are many people in #banana that are very rude and arrogent, and there quite a few people who agree with that.

It's these people that make the time people spend in the channel, not good at all. I'm not saying "OMG I WANT TO MAKE AN OFFICIAL CHAT CHANNEL", but I'm proposing one be made by someone who knows how to run a channel, one who knows how to use an IRCD and commands.

Chirs, I made that #chat channel a few months back. Because one day, I knew something like this would happen, and a channel named #chat would be a good official chat channel. I wanted to hold it and give it to someone who would suffice at running it. No, I'm not saying #chat should be made the official channel either. Simply stating that it would be a good idea, it just needs someone who is responsible and can get good ops to run it in there.
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
11-02-2005 10:34 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by nvez
Here's a hint; that's a spam post.

Oh, and there is a space after ?'s.
And he SCORES...
Here's another hint : that's teh spam..i smell a split on this post..
11-02-2005 10:36 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
emit
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
i'm not saying that, but being an Op puts you in a position of responsibility, and for someone who doesn't know much about IRC, an Op would seem like a member of staff.

And if you went into a restaurant and the waiter started swearing at you, laughing at you and then kicked you out of the restaurant because you complained, what impression would that give of the resaurant?

Messenger Plus! gives the impression of a proffessional company (which it is), and the Ops should try and uphold that.

This harks back to what I said earlier - you will never be happy unless Patchou is there policing the channel 24/7. saralk: there's a HUGE difference between a restaurant and an IRC channel and I think you know that. I agree that in the help channel, #msgplus, decorum should exist. But that's a help channel and if you have experienced half the help channels on the internet you will know that #msgplus is one of the few decent ones, the rest are full of people who tell you to RTFM and then ignore you. The channel in question is #banana, which isn't about decorum and helping people so that need for politeness and representing Plus isn't necessary. No one in there ever wanted the channel listed on the java applet, because we knew the influx of random people wanting to ask "n e hot grls here??" would just be annoying. If you saw the amount of people who seem incapable of telling the difference between "Click here for Help and Support" and "Click here just to chat" you would be miffed, to say the least. People joining the chat channel and asking "can ne1 help??" in a dozen languages, is not how regulars want the channel to be. By saying becoming an op is about responsibility you are enforcing them with this burden of having to be a role model, ops are still just lusers like anyone else in the channel, they shouldn't have to become a father figure to the channel all of a sudden.

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
It's these people that make the time people spend in the channel, not good at all. I'm not saying "OMG I WANT TO MAKE AN OFFICIAL CHAT CHANNEL", but I'm proposing one be made by someone who knows how to run a channel, one who knows how to use an IRCD and commands.

Chirs, I made that #chat channel a few months back. Because one day, I knew something like this would happen, and a channel named #chat would be a good official chat channel. I wanted to hold it and give it to someone who would suffice at running it. No, I'm not saying #chat should be made the official channel either. Simply stating that it would be a good idea, it just needs someone who is responsible and can get good ops to run it in there.

The people who op #banana are the ones who know how to run a channel, how to use an ircd and commands.

"Can get good ops to run it..." The ops in #banana are the best on the server; they're also the most active, the most competent people to op a channel in this community.

quote:
But if you go to 95% of “chats” that actually work and have people stay and enjoy you need “rules”You cannot survive in any sort of community without them..Tis why chatrooms have rules..because things can get out of hand.sure not everyone can get along but there are ways of debating isuues without being personal..

IRC works. Fact. Read: www.netsplit.de to get an idea of how many people use IRC everyday.

quote:
You don’t abuse or disrespect people in “life” without repercussions..its plain and simple..tis why IRC needs to be “policed” so everyone can have fun..Not just the alpha’s.

IRC is policed. Packetteers get banned. Flooders get banned. Drone runners get banned. You're trying to police things so strictly that you leech the fun right out of them.

quote:
On the internet rules also stand forth, many legal ramifications of ones actions have co-ersed many into seeking legal actions against ones who are deframing peoples characters.Whats illegal or unacceptable in society are also unacceptable online..

Warez is against the law. The majority of internet denizens condone it and enjoy it. Etc. Insulting someone on IRC is never going to result in a lawsuit, that's beyond ridiculous. Spend ten minutes in some channels and I think you would be crying, literally. You can get insulted just for the ISP you use in some places. Wow, you people are sensitive.

quote:
Most “chatting medians”online have a simple set of rules..and My personal opinion..that IRC would work if it followed a simple set of guidelines

· NO Excessive arguing..
· Spamming IRC with  nonsense posts
· . Posting RT information about other people besides yourself IRC
· Racism, bigotry (stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief,sexism or opinion that differs from one's own), posts referring to sexual acts with children or animals. Harassing other IRC members whether in PM or in public or by using an 'anonymous' type name. Harass: 1. to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute. 2. to trouble by repeated attacks, incursions, etc.,
· Blatantly ignoring posted room rules
· Anonymous posts- use your name.
· Excessive use of profanity- 
Harrasing posts, posts that reveal RT information about people other than yourself.
.Continued removal from the #Banana. In other words, if you continue to break the rules posted above, there will be consequences.
· Hacking or posting codes to interfere with the chat programming of IRC
· threats to other Irc members on IRC will be reported to authorities and may result in banning from the IRC as a whole.

anyways jus a idea..to make IRC enjoyable for everyone..thinks ill hush now and hide

IRC is enjoyable, without all those rules. I pasted a link to a set of guidelines previously. Basically "don't be lame" is what they said. You could learn from that. These rules above are nonsense, go and read bash.org and you will realise that IRC is about free speech and the frontier of the internet, as well as the underground. Some of the rules you have listed show that you have a lot to learn about IRC - regarding anonymity and profanity and "nonsense posts". www.irchelp.org - read it three times.

This post was edited on 11-02-2005 at 11:08 PM by emit.
11-02-2005 10:45 PM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Time

You would disallow all channels except for #msgplus on the server?
No. i meant that the irc server is there for people who need help, right? Then it's ok not to have an OFFICIAL chat channel like banana, but #banana will still be there. Just not officially :P.

SO stop complaining time :P banana wont die. And you will have more of what you people call "freedom of speech" (which i think it's not, bu meh) now that it's not official :)
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
11-02-2005 11:42 PM
kittymew

– / Female / –
RE: RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel?
Honestly as i have mentioned i was only offering ideas on what i have seen works..seeing people complain about what IRC is and represents..made me think ..perhaps..it wasnt there to take it was just there to stem ideas..I didnt attack nor deframe..it was just my opinion..

quote:
Originally posted by Time

IRC is enjoyable, without all those rules. I pasted a link to a set of guidelines previously. Basically "don't be lame" is what they said. You could learn from that. These rules above are nonsense, go and read bash.org and you will realise that IRC is about free speech and the frontier of the internet, as well as the underground. Some of the rules you have listed show that you have a lot to learn about IRC - regarding anonymity and profanity and "nonsense posts". www.irchelp.org - read it three times.

:)Enjoyment for who Time? do you speak for everyone perhaps or just a select few..Honestly I dont know what the common consensus is...
..maybe you or someone else should take  an anonymous  poll on whom enjoys The current IRC's Format and Environment..and take it from there ?

This post was edited on 11-02-2005 at 11:55 PM by kittymew.
11-02-2005 11:52 PM
Omar
Spammin' Member!

I have Chrono in my hands! MWAHAHA!!

47 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
i meant that the irc server is there for people who need help, right? Then it's ok not to have an OFFICIAL chat channel like banana, but #banana will still be there. Just not officially
I agree.... :P

and please... stop bitching in these forums... have any problem with banana????? pm Underlord.... end of story
Comunidad Hispana Oficial del Messenger Plus!  
TReKiE, you might as well face it... you are a dutchie (clogs, tulips and all that) :banana:
11-02-2005 11:57 PM
emit
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
No. i meant that the irc server is there for people who need help, right? Then it's ok not to have an OFFICIAL chat channel like banana, but #banana will still be there. Just not officially :P.

SO stop complaining time :P banana wont die. And you will have more of what you people call "freedom of speech" (which i think it's not, bu meh) now that it's not official :)

It sounded like you were implying that. Then I agree - it is fine not to make #banana or any channel an official CHAT channel. I'm in upto 50 IRC channels at any given time - the death of one would not concern me, I can talk to the people in #banana in any other channel they care to join. Of course it is freedom of speech, the freedom to talk about incest, and paste goatse at any time - that's what should exist.

quote:
Enjoyment for who Time? do you speak for everyone perhaps or just a select few..Honestly I dont know what the common consensus is...
..maybe you or someone else should take  an anonymous  poll on whom enjoys The current IRC's Format and Environment..and take it from there ?

For the million people who come back to IRC everyday. They've embraced IRC how it is and they like how it is. You are limiting your viewpoint to just this one channel, on one server... IRC is vast. Big picture.
11-03-2005 12:22 AM
Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 9 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: