What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Reasons why threads were closed

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Reasons why threads were closed
Author: Message:
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Reasons why threads were closed
I think by obligation something should be added to the code to make the mod/admin that closes a thread to be the last post in the thread saying at least "Closed" and/or the reason its closed.

Example: (U1 is a user, U2 is a mod)

U1: I want a direct link to Windows Vista with the WPA crack plz..

U2: Illegal discusstion is not allowed here. Closed.

UNLESS THE LAST POST IS MADE BY THE MOD WHO CLOSED THE THREAD (OR A ADMIN) THE THREAD CANNOT BE CLOSED.

It will I think clear up some confustion and clear up the reason why it was closed.
11-05-2005 01:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
RE: Reasons why threads were closed
Or the mods/admin can do their job properly and add a reason why with "Closed" in italics at the bottom.

Would save a bit of work I am sure they are too lazy to do anyway.

This post was edited on 11-05-2005 at 01:47 PM by linx05.
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
11-05-2005 01:41 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
I think by obligation something should be added to the code to make the mod/admin that closes a thread to be the last post in the thread saying at least "Closed" and/or the reason its closed.
Why?

For starters, it is useless to put "closed" in a new post, because everybody can see the thread is closed.

Second, who closed the thread is of no bussiness to people and shouldn't matter.

And, if you use some common sense, you can always see why a thread is closed anyways.

For all other cases, mods already give reasons when they close a thread...

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
UNLESS THE LAST POST IS MADE BY THE MOD WHO CLOSED THE THREAD (OR A ADMIN) THE THREAD CANNOT BE CLOSED.
You really lost me there... I mean, it is only a mod/admin who can close threads in the first place. So what's the use of that rule?

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
Or the mods/admin can do their job properly and add a reason why with "Closed" in italics at the bottom.
mods/admins do their job properly already... and see my reply above concearning the completely useless "closed" post...

quote:
Would save a bit of work I am sure they are too lazy to do anyway.
This has very little to do with being lazy.

This post was edited on 11-05-2005 at 01:51 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-05-2005 01:49 PM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
There have been a few times when I don't know why the thread was closed. A little reason as to why it was closed would have been sufficient.

It does have something to do with laziness.
End Darko
My blog about my film

11-05-2005 01:56 PM
-dt-
Scripting Contest Winner

;o

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
It does have something to do with laziness.
No it dosnt , they are there because they know what to do. They are not being lazy , being lazy would be not closing the thread. If you want to know the reson why the thread was closed PM a admin they will find out for you.
[Image: dt2.0v2.png]      Happy Birthday, WDZ
11-05-2005 01:59 PM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

to avoid confusion: there's a difference between being lazy and not bothering to do too much work.
11-05-2005 02:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
I still see no reason why not to put a reason in. I think it is because of laziness. Would be much easier. Then everyone can see the reason.

Is it not too hard to post a reason (for the threads which are a little too hard to distinguish why it was closed)?
End Darko
My blog about my film

11-05-2005 02:06 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

I think the argument should end here, it is going to end up as a massive argument, and people are going to start flaming etc...

I don't think it has anything to do with laziness, a lot of the time, people do post why the thread is being closed, but that is for reasons like "There is nothing further to discuss", because there isn't... There is no need for the staff to post why they closed a thread, it is closed, and that is final, when a member of staff closes a thread, he doesn't have to tell you why, it may be obvious, it may not be, but it is his choice...

It would be just a waste of time to post why it has been closed, if the thread needs to be closed, then I say, close it, end of.
11-05-2005 02:09 PM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Reasons why threads were closed
quote:
Why?

For starters, it is useless to put "closed" in a new post, because everybody can see the thread is closed.

Second, who closed the thread is of no bussiness to people and shouldn't matter.

And, if you use some common sense, you can always see why a thread is closed anyways.

For all other cases, mods already give reasons when they close a thread...
1st point I agree altho you kinda argue against yourself; why do you put a (non-direct) link to the Messenger Plus! homepage when everyone knows where/what it is and they can find the download there themselves?
2nd point I disagree completely; I as a thread starter want to know why my thread was closed even if it clearly states in the rules. Its being lazy and not wanting to do the proper mod work.
Also what if I want to ask why it was closed? I dont know who closed it so ill just PM any mod. THat mod didnt close it and doesnt know why it was closed so he has to find and contact the mod who closed it. In the end its accually more work.
quote:
You really lost me there... I mean, it is only a mod/admin who can close threads in the first place. So what's the use of that rule?
I ment if a thread is gonna be closed the last post MUST be made by the mod who closed the thread. The only acception to this rule is admin which can close the thread regardless of the last post altho this is obvious.
quote:
This has very little to do with being lazy.
It has everything with being lazy and not doing a mod job properly. Dont try to excuse the mods.
11-05-2005 02:37 PM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
Thank you riahc4. Glad someone agrees with me.

It is definately beneficial to both the thread starter, and others browsing the forum to put a reason as to why it was closed.

If the reasons why the mod/admin closed the thread weren't too clear, then to stop another thread opening asking the same question(s) would be to just add a reason to the end.

Come on guys, this isn't too hard to do.
End Darko
My blog about my film

11-05-2005 02:55 PM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend