What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » How you came to be on the forum...

Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 » Last »
How you came to be on the forum...
Author: Message:
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: How you came to be on the forum...
I've been using Plus! since 1.42b, but only joined the forums around 2.50, when I decided to write those sound plugins I make long ago. I used this board to get help, and to release the plugins.

Edit: Just found my first post: must have been within a week of the release of Plus! 2.50, as it was about linking errors in VC++. And now, I'm working on converting the Plus! API Framework to Visual J# :D

I've come a long way in a little over two years...

This post was edited on 12-10-2005 at 12:26 AM by RaceProUK.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
12-08-2005 11:33 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Rik

31 / Male / Flag
i start using plus on the day i had internet ( august 2004 )
then i started to read the forums in november until i saw that this was a great community :)
12-08-2005 11:45 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
segosa
Community's Choice

I don't know how long it was before February 2003, but I was a regular user of MsgPlus 1.42b. I remember its very simple interface and I liked its quick-texts function best. But after an update to MSN Messenger (or was Windows Messenger the only thing used back then?) things started becoming extremely buggy. I figured out MsgPlus was causing the problem, so I uninstalled it.

February 2003, a friend started messaging me telling me about Messenger Plus! 2.0 which had been released (or it might have been a beta/alpha, can't remember) and he sent me it. I remembered it as being the MsgPlus I had uninstalled the year before. I noticed there were a lot of updates to 2.0, and I started using it regularly.

I asked him where he got it from since I couldn't find its website, and he linked me to a thread on these forums. I looked around a bit, then I wanted to register. My reason for registering was so newby and embarassing I won't mention it here. After I was registered I started helping some people with their MsgPlus problems, posted plenty of suggestions, and got to know a few people.

One of my suggestions was a command which stopped tags being evaluated (I suggested /text, I think he made it /notag or something). Patchou liked it, and included it. He told me if I wanted to have my name placed in the about window that I should PM him with the name I wanted, which I did.

The story of how I became a beta tester is actually quite interesting but I think Patchou might possibly not want me to make a big deal out of it.

So after I became a beta tester I stopped visiting the forums as often, and somehow I found IRC. Originally I used sock's webchat and didn't even want to bother with mIRC (my, what a fool I was) but eventually when the webchat died I had to start using it. IRC was under strict management back then. Management changed a bit, and things became more lenient.

Only in the last 6 months have I become more of a 'regular' on the forums.

EDIT: I've had two 24h bans I think.

This post was edited on 12-08-2005 at 01:04 PM by segosa.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
12-08-2005 12:52 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
i came here when plus! was 3.20 :)

the reason is in my first thread: a concept of msn 10 :)

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=38097&pid=376924

(never got banned (a))
12-08-2005 01:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
O.P. RE: How you came to be on the forum...
quote:
Originally posted by segosa
EDIT: I've had two 24h bans I think.

Wow... haha.... and I'm suprised and how many people have enver been banned :p....
12-08-2005 01:40 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by segosa
One of my suggestions was a command which stopped tags being evaluated (I suggested /text, I think he made it /notag or something).
It's /text ;)
[Image: spartaafk.png]
12-08-2005 02:35 PM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
I think i originally came to make a suggestion about msgplus 1.42 or something.  Made a couple of other posts but not much, until Patchou opened up alpha testing for MP2... anyway I got onto the tester list so started coming regularly, and BAM I'm in the community. Not such a regular now, but that's because of other things that you'll find out about eventually ;)

And omgnobans
12-08-2005 05:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
I found Plus! 1.20 or 1.20a (August 2001) shortly after someone from school encouraged me to get MSN Messenger. I thought it was really cool, so I visited the original forums, and kept visiting like once a day because there were some interesting suggestions and conversations there. Then on November 11 2001, Patchou created the XSOrbit board, where I immediately registered and soon became one of the top posters and eventually an admin. :o At the time, I was like 15, and still in school, and I had a really crappy PC with a really slow dial-up connection. :-/

[Image: attachment.php?pid=575164]

.png File Attachment: plus1.20a.png (16.59 KB)
This file has been downloaded 364 time(s).
12-08-2005 05:01 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

It was Jackasswanabe's (Stigmata's) fault...

November 11th 2003 ;p.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
November 11 2001

:cheesy:.

This post was edited on 12-08-2005 at 05:04 PM by user27089.
12-08-2005 05:02 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
Plus was kind of going around a load of us (just after version 2), and suddenly became popular. After a while I looked around the forums for a sollution to a problem I had, while there I read another thread that was interesting. I kept looking at the forum for about a week or so, and then realised I was reading all the interesting and funny threads (this was when guests could read T&T). However I never actually joined, and eventually never read any more threads.
Then in October 2003 I joined to find a sollution to another problem (regarding the Simpons sound packs), and then I just got into posting and posting.
I'm often busy and got other things to do now, and don't come here as much as I used to, but the community here is just so great. And I really like helping people out with technical problems. I very much think I'll be active here, in some form or another, until the forums are dead, or if it's me first!
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
12-08-2005 05:24 PM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: