What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Rename Contact feature - Gone?

Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 » Last »
Rename Contact feature - Gone?
Author: Message:
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone?
quote:
Originally posted by Samanoske Akechi
Thanks for the reply, mate. However, if you refered into the first few pages of this thread, you'd find that those of us suffering from this dilenma have an extremely plausible reason to ask for a better solution than renaming everything from scratch. Simply said, our contacts go by the thousands. ;) Could you imagine yourself copying thousands of sentences then retyping them in? It's possible of course, but definitely not practical. After all, we ARE using Messenger Plus! as a convenience, right?
I realise that but it is the price you pay for having so many contacts in my opinion.  I doubt that anyone will help with this because everyone around here has dealt with it and does not require this assistance and the people who do are very few and it wouldnt be worth the time of someone to write something to do what you want.  It is more practical (because of so few people) that you just start working methodically through your contacts in your spare time and creating a list which you can later transpose over.  Personally I don't see the need for so many contacts and it would give me a great reason to do a cull so I didnt have as many names to write down.

You could always just copy and paste into a document as well if you find that easier.  Personally I don't like the changing between windows all the time.

This post was edited on 04-07-2007 at 02:43 PM by markee.
[Image: markee.png]
04-07-2007 02:42 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Samanoske Akechi

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone?
So, what are we to do now. We have waited as requested, yet Microsoft has yet to show any interest in upgrading their crappy version of the 'Add Nickname' feature. And many of us here still await the ability and freedom to customize our contacts according to different styles and colour-codes, as well as keeping the actual nicknames.

Thus, I would like to plea, once again, to anyone listening and especially Patchou too. Please try to restore this feature from Messenger Plus!. Despite my past rants on not being able to transfer my old database, I'd be more than willing to totally rename all 500 of my contacts from scratch if this feature were to be graciously restored.

Thanks again. :)

This post was edited on 06-08-2007 at 01:00 PM by Samanoske Akechi.
06-08-2007 01:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
IoZ

I join to this request. I'm waiting since the first version of MSG Plus Live! was released.
I still use Messenger 7.5 with Plus 3.63, because I like to see customized and original contact names at the time.
Maybe this functionality will appear again in MSG Plus Live! 4.50 version? Can Patchou comment something about this?

Thanks!!
08-30-2007 10:26 PM
Samanoske Akechi

– / Male / –
Yet another supporter to the cause, thanks mate. :) I'm still under the impression that no one else here has ANY interest of reviving this feature anymore? I'm still waiting as patiently as ever for this feature to transit to WLM. Do help, Patchou.

Thanks
09-01-2007 09:24 AM
IoZ

I hope that Patchou (or someone talking in his name) will say us if he's going to implement that feature in the future, or we will not see it again.
09-01-2007 07:36 PM
chihku

– / Male / –
Cannot agree more!!!!

quote:
The reason why the Custom Name feature of Plus! is far more usefull than the Nickname feature of WLM is because of one simple reason: With the Nickname feature of WLM you can not see the contact's orginal screenname, nor email, when you have set a nickname.

The usefullness of the Custom Name feature in Plus! comes from the fact that you could use the special tags (!N) and (!M) as part of the Custom Name to show the contact's original screenname or email. Making it possible to set custom names like: "John: (!N)" which would be seen as: "John: this is my original screen name"

Can you add this feature back?  Please~~~:$
09-05-2007 07:56 PM
JaCe88

*fingers crossed for a revival* Or at least a way to export the data from the Messenger Plus 3.x settings.
09-13-2007 02:27 AM
AceyUnLtd

Don't call me late to dinner

49 / Male / Flag
I'd have to agree with the last 2 posts.

If bringing the settings and such from Plus! 3.x isn't plausible at least Custom Names feature making a return
Toon logic applies when toon physics is seen so stop by Into Your Head or
IllitPress.com

I like to
Mess With MSN Messenger
09-13-2007 03:00 AM
aixerona

i'm here to support this request, as for me it's really vital. i was ok with sticking to 7.5 just because this feature wasn't implemented in WPL but today something bad happened. messenger FORCED me to update. it would not sign on until i installed Live. I'm so, so frustrated at this point. I really wish Patchou would add this feature, it seems there is a pool of users already asking for it (from the looks of this thread, they've been asking for a year!

as you know, the microsoft "add a nickname" feature is basically crap. i can't just "add" the nickname to the user's name, i'd have to get rid of their msn name and add my nickname instead. which i never did with my 7.5 plus, what i did was left their name in and added my nickname in bold in front of me. nice, neat, tidy, and by the size of my contact list, necessary.

don't tell me "this is what you get for having that many contacts", what is that supposed to mean?  go and delete them? too bad so sad? come on, i'm just asking for a functionality that was already present in a program i've grown accustomed to and not implemented in an update i had to use, against my will.
please, please, help us out?

This post was edited on 09-15-2007 at 05:18 PM by aixerona.
09-15-2007 05:05 PM
Samanoske Akechi

– / Male / –
Thanks for joining the cause too, aixerona. :)

Anyways, first to solve your Messenger 7.5 dilemma, I got the same damn forced-upgrade notice too. However, there's a way to bypass the upgrade if you wanna stick to 7.5 and Plus! like myself.

- Go to Program Files / MSN Messenger
- Right-click the 'msnmsgr.exe' icon and go to 'Properties'
- Under the 'Compatibility' tab, choose to run messenger under the 'Windows 2000' compatibility mode, then select Apply and OK while Messenger IS NOT running in the background

- DONE! You can run MSN Messenger 7.5 once again, with no more forced upgrades.

Hope that helps. And worry not, it's not illegal to do so ;) It's just another reason for us to plea for this feaure in WLM.

Thanks
09-16-2007 04:21 AM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: