What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Rename Contact feature - Gone?

Pages: (7): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 » Last »
Rename Contact feature - Gone?
Author: Message:
IoZ

RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone?
Old rename contact feature is not going to re-appear in MSG Plus Live 4.50, isn't it?
11-28-2007 12:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
No.  The major feature is skinning messenger.  I think renaming contacts is a feature that may never come back... maybe at a later date if Patchou gets some ideas to make it a lot better than what it was, but apart from that I think it has had it's day and we will have to use the WLM attempt at this feature.
[Image: markee.png]
11-28-2007 01:04 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by markee
No.  The major feature is skinning messenger.  I think renaming contacts is a feature that may never come back...
I want to believe it will still return, one day...

quote:
maybe at a later date if Patchou gets some ideas to make it a lot better than what it was
It couldn't be much better than what it was in Plus!3 IMHO. The wheel doesn't need to be invented again in that regards...

quote:
but apart from that I think it has had it's day
Far from it. I bet all my money on it that once the custom contact names are returned in their full glory (thus including the ability to add their original screen name with (!N) and/or their email with (!M)), extremely many people will use it again.

quote:
and we will have to use the WLM attempt at this feature.
Very unfortunatly... MS isn't going to include the ability to add their original name and/or email any soon.

And Pathou once said that when MS isn't going to improve the WLM nickname feature he is going to add custom names again... Patchou?

This post was edited on 11-28-2007 at 11:48 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-28-2007 11:48 PM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And Pathou once said that when MS isn't going to improve the WLM nickname feature he is going to add custom names again... Patchou?
In that case he should have had it in 4.00 because the WLM team already had it there and once they have a feature they're never going to update it.

I understand that Plus! feature was good and all but do you think Patchou might now wait to see if WLM 9.0 comes with a decent API to use like what is being rumoured and tries to link through that to get and alter this information?  That way then he only has to pass the strings when the contact updates their display nameand thats about it.

Also that comment about reinventing the wheel seems a little silly seeing as though Patchou recoded Plus! for 4.00, was't that itself reinventing the wheel for all those features?  Like I personally would prefer to see the functionality that tabs used to have and I feel it is more important than just improving a feature that is missing just one or two tiny things to make it complete in your view.
11-29-2007 12:09 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
In that case he should have had it in 4.00 because the WLM team already had it there and once they have a feature they're never going to update it.
I couldn't agree more....

quote:
I understand that Plus! feature was good and all but do you think Patchou might now wait to see if WLM 9.0 comes with a decent API to use like what is being rumoured and tries to link through that to get and alter this information?
I hope not. The custom contact names is, for me that is, more important than skinning (not saying that skinning is crap, far from it, but custom names like in Plus!3 is waaaaay more usefull to me personally).

And I am 100% certain that once this is added back, extremely many people will be happy. Proof: see all the reactions when (!N)/(!M) in the custom names was added and the same amount of reactions when the custom names feature was removed in Plus!Live (exactly because WLM's nickname feature lacks the use of (!N)/(!M)).

quote:
Also that comment about reinventing the wheel seems a little silly seeing as though Patchou recoded Plus! for 4.00, was't that itself reinventing the wheel for all those features?
Ah, well not really... With reinventing the wheel I meant that the 'design' of the feature is already known. One already knows what it is suppose todo, how it should be, what not, what the possebilities are, etc.

quote:
Like I personally would prefer to see the functionality that tabs used to have and I feel it is more important than just improving a feature that is missing just one or two tiny things to make it complete in your view.
This is far from a tiny thingie which is missing IMHO (like unable to select 'name and email' in the desktop contacts, or unable to select more than 'busy' and 'away' in the personalised status window). It's the whole essence of the feature which is missing :(.

-----------------

EDIT (some thank you spam):
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I promise I'll add it back.
You're the coolest man....

I lub you... almost... ;)

This post was edited on 11-29-2007 at 10:35 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-29-2007 01:16 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I promise I'll add it back, it's now obvious Microsoft won't do a thing about it. I'm just disapointed.
[Image: signature2.gif]
11-29-2007 06:13 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone?
quote:
I promise I'll add it back, it's now obvious Microsoft won't do a thing about it. I'm just disapointed.
We could always hope for Windows Live Messenger 9 to bring us this feature. But they probably doesn't care about it at all.
11-29-2007 07:04 PM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by vikke
quote:
We could always hope for Windows Live Messenger 9 to bring us this feature. But they probably doesn't care about it at all.
Since when did the WLM team care about what people wanted?  We can hope as much as we like but it's not like they will do it until they want it themselves.
11-30-2007 03:35 AM
IoZ

RE: RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone?
quote:
Those are great news!!! I can't wait to test all features that have been incorporated since Plus! 3.63!!!
I only hope that MSN Messenger 7.5 still continue working until then.
Thanks a lot Patchou!!!
12-11-2007 02:34 AM
Samanoske Akechi

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Rename Contact feature - Gone?
quote:

Thanks so much for finally noticing, Patchou. I guess it's already past a year I've been sitting here sticking to 7.5 waiting for an eventual release of Plus! Live with this features. Perhaps, now would be an okay time to put the feature back, mate? Please... :(

If you followed up on the requests over the past year, we've actually done numerous threads, even polls, and those of us who actually used this feature of yours REALLY want it back in Live. A converter or something simpler would be fine, just a way to let us in on the Plus! Live goodness too. HELP

Thanks

This post was edited on 03-12-2008 at 10:29 PM by Samanoske Akechi.
03-12-2008 10:22 PM
Pages: (7): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: