What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » The open/closed window notifier feature

Pages: (26): « First « 12 13 14 15 [ 16 ] 17 18 19 20 » Last »
The open/closed window notifier feature
Author: Message:
nx01rules

Infinite Diversity

37 / Male / –
RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
Im not going to use a script event to detect when a window is opened - im using a DLL im programming
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth
07-19-2006 07:24 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
lysp

I've just started something very similar.

I have a little app running at the moment which can sniff all packets through msn.

Have to rewrite it into a form which it can communicate with MsgPlus.

Problem is i dont have much time to research it as work is hectic at the moment.

Is your process using packet sniffing or does it hook msn's winsock calls?

This post was edited on 07-19-2006 at 08:07 AM by lysp.
07-19-2006 08:07 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
nx01rules

Infinite Diversity

37 / Male / –
Packet Sniffing, probably the easiest way, and i have a pretty good idea on how to implement it - tell me as i am curious also :P, how do you plan to get it to communicate with Messenger Plus?
07-19-2006 08:14 AM
lysp

Thats the part i havent worked out yet.. if you look at the post "dll -> script" someone has a suggestion in there.
07-19-2006 10:10 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
nx01rules

Infinite Diversity

37 / Male / –
Lol yeah but its not very helpful
07-19-2006 10:11 AM
nx01rules

Infinite Diversity

37 / Male / –
New Live! Window Open/Closed Notifier (SESSION open/closed notifier)
Hey all,

Currently I am in the process of programming a new Window/Session Open/Closed Notifier for Windows Messenger Live - so far everything is going really well, and it even works - but keep in mind:

EDIT: JUST LIKE THE OLD ONE IN STUFFPLUG - IT IS NO MORE ACCURATE THAN THAT. THAT ONE WAS INNACURATE TO A DEGREE, AND THIS ONE IS EXACTLY THE SAME

Aaaaaanyway, time for the revealing of the work in progress.. Heh, I am betting a lot of people out there want this little plugin very badly, well not to fear - i'll have it complete soon :D

But as a little preview into the work, just check it out:

[Image: opened.jpg]

Once i've completed it, i'll release it in this forum, and i'll edit this first post for everyone to download a copy :) - You can even click the writing in the MSN Popup too - just like the old one has it - and it opens a conversation window for you :D

But for now, I need some suggestions - as you can see in the picture, the open notifier works just fine, but the closed one is a bit more tricky - does anyone know any way to add text to the message log in the conversation window? Because I am trying to code it like StuffPlug had it, sort of.. Currently it is working as a popup - ie: if someone closes a conversation window it will show a popup just like an opened one, but it says "Window Closed" instead of "Window Opened". If there's any code or API - then i'll be grateful for any help - but in the meantime i'll keep looking for a better method myself :)

This post was edited on 07-19-2006 at 03:47 PM by nx01rules.
07-19-2006 02:32 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: New Live! Window Open/Closed Notifier
quote:
Originally posted by nx01rules
Currently I am in the process of programming a new Window Open/Closed Notifier for Windows Messenger Live - so far everything is going really well, and it even works!
It will NOT work!!!!!!

You said you read all there is about this subject. I suggest to read all that again...

Such stuff you are creating will NOT work. This is because you have NO way in knowing for sure if the notification of the opened/closed window is actually for an opened or closed window. There are many other events which can trigger these notifications.

But all this you already know apparently. Therefor it strikes me that you (and others) still persist in calling this a window open/close notifier while it is not as explained time and again.

This all shows that you (plural) still don't grasp exactly why people like me are against this. The reason is very simple and I will repeat it again for the gazillionth time: People who do not know how such stuff works (and those are the ones which will use such tools the most!!) will actually rely on this and misinterpret such tools. If you said you read and understood everything in that long thread then you also understand that calling this an "open/closed window notifier" is the worsed you can do.

1) Call it with its proper name: "open/closed session notifier"
2) Add a big red flashing popup (so to speak) to inform the user that such tools are NOT accurate especially if used as a open/closed window notifier <= and that is not an opinion as many will try to shut me up with! That is a fact. What you call reliable and 14/15 accurate is extremely highly biased and such figures are only true for specific cases. If you take all the possible scenario's in account you'll see that an "open/closed window notifier" will not have such a good ratio at all.

PS: and the excuse of "if they want it, let them have it" is pure BS, as it is forums like these where those people come to when they have problems with such stuff because they don't understand the background of it. And then we are having to explain it again and again how it actually works (or not works). Again, this is not an opinion but a fact and said out of years experience with this stuff.

PS2: also before replying, realize that I (and other people which you call anti-open window notifer people) are NOT AGAINST such tools, but we are AGAINST the wide spreading of misinformation and misconceptions which this could cause. Hence why it is, for starters, important that you A) call such stuff by its proper name, B) inform people how to use it, benefits, disadvantages, etc.
Currently you are doing nothing more than helping to spread more misconceptions and misinformation with it, and THAT is what we reply so heavly on.

This post was edited on 07-19-2006 at 02:57 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-19-2006 02:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
nx01rules

Infinite Diversity

37 / Male / –
RE: RE: New Live! Window Open/Closed Notifier
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
1) Call it with its proper name: "open/closed session notifier"
2) Add a big red flashing popup (so to speak) to inform the user that such tools are NOT accurate especially if used as a open/closed window notifier <= and that is not an opinion as many will try to shut me up with! That is a fact. What you call reliable and 14/15 accurate is extremely highly biased and such figures are only true for specific cases. If you take all the possible scenario's in account you'll see that it will not have such a good ratio.

PS: and the excuse of "if they want it, let them have it" is pure BS, as it is forums like these where those people come to when they have problems with such stuff because they don't understand the background of it. And then we are having to explain it again and again how it actually works (or not works). Again, this is not an opinion but a fact and said out of years experience with this stuff.

Alright thats not a problem then:

ATTENTION
This MESSENGER SESSION NOTIFIER is innacurate if you don't initially understand the principles behind it - proceed at your own risk.

quote:
This all shows that you (plural) still don't grasp exactly why people like me are against this. The reason is very simple and I will repeat it again for the gazillionth time: People who do not know how such stuff works (and those are the ones which will use such tools the most!!) will actually rely on this and misinterpret such tools. If you said you read and understood everything in that long thread then you also understand that calling this an "open/closed window notifier" is the worsed you can do.

I know, and OK, I agree - people don't understand - but some people DO - being part of those 'specific cases' that you mentioned, i'll say this to everyone now:

OK everyone, listen up. This is a SESSION NOTIFIER, whenever an "IRO" command is received by MSN, which includes people changing their display pictures, people opening conversation windows with you, anything to do with the P2P side of the MSN Protocol, this will respond to. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
07-19-2006 02:59 PM
nx01rules

Infinite Diversity

37 / Male / –
RE: New Live! Window Open/Closed Notifier
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
He can call it what he wants :P. Good on you making it, it's in demand, people don't care if it works or not, they just want it....

Thanks absorbation, the TITLE is fine, because the feature of the application includes notifying about what i want, as well as being a session notifier. Call it what you wish, people know what it is.

This post was edited on 07-19-2006 at 03:22 PM by nx01rules.
07-19-2006 03:08 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: New Live! Window Open/Closed Notifier
quote:
ATTENTION
This MESSENGER SESSION NOTIFIER is innacurate if you don't initially understand the principles behind it - proceed at your own risk.
That would actually be a good banner for a message box which pops up the first x times you would use the script/addon I think.

quote:
OK everyone, listen up. This is a SESSION NOTIFIER, whenever an "IRO" command is received by MSN, which includes people changing their display pictures, people opening conversation windows with you, anything to do with the P2P side of the MSN Protocol, this will respond to. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

it would be good if this was also in the help/about/whatever window of the script/addon.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-19-2006 03:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (26): « First « 12 13 14 15 [ 16 ] 17 18 19 20 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: