What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » The open/closed window notifier feature

Pages: (26): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
The open/closed window notifier feature
Author: Message:
Jiggs

38 / Male / –
RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
well, i have to agree with both. it works, but its unreliable. but when uve had it for a while, u get to know which are real and which arent. especially the "closed convo" ones. that one is easy to tell if real. and almost always is real. i have a G15 keyboard, which has an lcd display, and ive set it up to tell me about WLM events. one of them is when someone opens or closes a window with me, and it does report false ones, but more often correct ones.
and its easy to know which ones should be ignored.
06-26-2006 07:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
djnerve

!-STE06-!

35 / Male / –
so what code did you use for it to tell if the window had been shut?
06-26-2006 07:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
quote:
Originally posted by djnerve
stuffplug worked almost bang on every time for me so yes it does work. if you think it doesnt thats you're opinion but if you say its 50%50% then it stillw orks don't it. so if it worked with stuff plug surely someonme can script it

1) it is not an opinion. That is the whole point. What I state is a fact, not an opinion!

2) if such thing works 50/50, it does NOT work as you have NO way in knowing if the notification was correct or not. Roll a dice instead and if it is 3 or lower the user has opened a convo, if it is higher it was a fake notification <= that's how accurate it is; in other words it isn't... it's guessing...

I can write a simple application (or even script) which will randomly show you "user has opened convo" in a popup. The application will do no checking at all, only showing some random popups. This application would be equally accurate. So, would you call this application a working notifier? No...

3) It did NOT work with stuffplug either. Reread my post. Long time ago when MS fixed the whole so that such notification did work, it was removed from StuffPlug as it didn't worked anymore. Because many people couldn't accepted it didn't work anymore, TheBlasphamer simply added it back out of frustration of the many mails he got. But it didn't work anymore! Don't beleive me, search the forum for TheBlasphemer's post about this yourself

4) It has been stated many times on all Messenger-related sites that such notifiers do not work anymore. And on some sites it is also explained in much technical details why...

And you do not have to 'believe' me at all, do some research (and I mean proper research, not simply stating what others have stated or "testing" like asking your contacts as that is a seriously wrong test for this), study the protocol and read up on how such notifiers actually work...

Again, this is not an opinion or what I 'believe'... it is a FACT.

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 07:37 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-26-2006 07:32 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
al2002

39 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by djnerve
stuffplug worked almost bang on every time for me so yes it does work. if you think it doesnt thats you're opinion but if you say its 50%50% then it stillw orks don't it. so if it worked with stuff plug surely someonme can script it

1) it is not an opinion. That is the whole point. What I state is a fact, not an opinion!

2) if such thing works 50/50, it does NOT work as you have NO way in knowing if the notification was correct or not. Roll a dice instead and if it is 3 or lower the user has opened a convo, if it is higher it was a fake notification <= that's how accurate it is; in other words it isn't... it's guessing...

3) It did NOT work with stuffplug either. Reread my post. Long time ago when MS fixed the whole so that such notification did work, it was removed from StuffPlug as it didn't worked anymore. Because many people couldn't accepted it didn't work anymore, TheBlasphamer simply added it back out of frustration of the many mails he got. But it didn't work anymore! Don't beleive me, search the forum for TheBlasphemer's post about this yourself

4) It has been stated many times on all Messenger-related sites that such notifiers do not work anymore. And on some sites it is also explained in much technical details why...

And you do not have to 'believe' me at all, do some research (and I mean proper research, not simply stating what others have stated or "testing" like asking your contacts as that is a seriously wrong test for this), study the protocol and read up on how such notifiers actually work...

Again, this is not an opinion or what I 'believe'... it is a FACT.

And your points stop someone making a script for this feature because......?
06-26-2006 07:35 PM
Antz

33 / Male / Flag
It worked for me no problem. Some of the 'bla bla has closed the conversation window' messages were wrong (it disconnects conversations every so often).

So it CAN work but not always. My friends also have no bother with it.

If it doesn't work, explain how my friends ALWAYS know when I open a window?

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 07:39 PM by Antz.
[Image: Antz.jpg]
06-26-2006 07:37 PM
djnerve

!-STE06-!

35 / Male / –
well we have our opinion it worked most of the time for us. and it DID work because i had endless fun telling people they had closed the convosation.

i will have a look into what codes need to be used ect see if i can build it myself for the group of people requesting it.
06-26-2006 07:38 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
There are already many threads about this... Search the forums and other forums before trying to claim you know how such stuff works...

IT DOES NOT WORK

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 07:41 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-26-2006 07:40 PM
al2002

39 / Male / –
O.P. Could someone explain to me...
...why my thread lower down about the open/closed window notifiers was closed?

Was it closed by the guy who refused to accept that it does actually work? Example - i've been online for hours tonight, and so far, 100% of the popups have been correct. Yes - 100%.

Of course, I know you're now going to go into a hissy fit telling me it doesn't work. But you should really calm down mate. And you should also look up the meaning of internet forums/message boards - i believe a definition would go along the lines of something like a place where people express ideas, opinions, and hold debate.

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 08:37 PM by al2002.
06-26-2006 07:56 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
Well, usually CookieRevised is right about such things... :-/

If you want to continue to debate, that's fine, but please try to keep it friendly. :)
06-26-2006 08:08 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
djnerve

!-STE06-!

35 / Male / –
ok nice one thank you! we can chat about the code
06-26-2006 08:10 PM
Pages: (26): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode