What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » The open/closed window notifier feature

Pages: (26): « First « 3 4 5 6 [ 7 ] 8 9 10 11 » Last »
The open/closed window notifier feature
Author: Message:
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
Okay cookie :p they're not going to believe you... they're ignorant so what.. you've explained yourself very very thoroughly... and everybody that's halfway smart that read your posts know that they do not work, and that they're unreliable so there isn't much of a chance that anybody will make anything anymore.
06-26-2006 10:50 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jiggs

38 / Male / –
i know how it works. notifications can be sent when msn updates the DP, etc etc.

but i get it now!!!! its the EXACT WORDING! Youre one of those type of people.

even tho i said in a previous post or sentence that WE KNOW IT ISN'T reliable, you still pick the one sentence where i use the word know. I'm so sorry. ill rephrase

most people use it so that they have some warning that maybe someone has maybe opened a convo with them maybe. maybe.

and it works for me, maybe, most of the time. i know which are fake, cos the ones that are fake, don't end up with someone messaging me 2 seconds later.
But most of them are real. maybe.

06-26-2006 10:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
King Of Chaos

– / Male / Flag
This thread is completely pointless...
06-26-2006 10:52 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
If someone says here "It works, I use it, so it works, think what you want" and I reply with "it does not work as it is unreliable and unreliable things simply do not work (if it did work, it would be 'reliable')" then I think that should have been clear enough....

quote:
Originally posted by Jiggs
i know how it works. notifications can be sent when msn updates the DP, etc etc.

but i get it now!!!! its the EXACT WORDING! Youre one of those type of people.

even tho i said in a previous post or sentence that WE KNOW IT ISN'T reliable, you still pick the one sentence where i use the word know. I'm so sorry. ill rephrase

most people use it so that they have some warning that maybe someone has maybe opened a convo with them maybe. maybe.

and it works for me, maybe, most of the time. i know which are fake, cos the ones that are fake, don't end up with someone messaging me 2 seconds later.
But most of them are real. maybe.

yes maybe I'm one of those people maybe....

Do you know that whole history of those "block checkers"? It is very similar (if not just the same). In cases like this the wordings do have a big impact... proof is that it has been taken a very long time to teach/convince people that block checkers do not work. And it all had todo with the fact that people (unwillingly, granted) weren't carefull enough in choosing their words when talking about it.

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 11:01 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-26-2006 10:54 PM
Jiggs

38 / Male / –
"This thread is completely pointless..."

i agree. ill stop. im sorry. i just felt CookieRevised was being very harsh. i see his point, but i felt he didnt see that of others.

On topic:
I doubt it will be made. it cant be done with scripts anyway, and i doubt anyone will want to make some external app for something that is not reliable.

Lets call it quits CookieRevised? :)

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 10:56 PM by Jiggs.
06-26-2006 10:55 PM
King Of Chaos

– / Male / Flag
Ummm, MessengerDiscovery Live has this "feature" AFAIK.
06-26-2006 11:00 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: The open/closed window notifier feature
quote:
but i felt he didnt see that of others.
I felt the opposite.

quote:
Lets call it quits CookieRevised? :)
ok, btw see rep

quote:
Originally posted by King Of Chaos
Ummm, MessengerDiscovery Live has this "feature" AFAIK.
you come a couple of posts to late.... reread thread....

--------------------------

I'm going to bed now, I'll report all the off-topicness tommorow if it hasn't already been done by then... (but a clear post saying that it shouldn't be seen as "working" should be left as there will alwyas be people who might misread the stuff or don't understand how to interpret these notifs... )

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 11:07 PM by CookieRevised.
06-26-2006 11:05 PM
jin11

36 / Male / –
Yes Messenger Discovery does have this feature, ofcourse that program is on it's own. So people who like this feature support it.

I think that everyone should calm down, and not take things so seriously.

We all know that Window Open notifiers are NOT 100% reliable, but they DO work.

Can we agree here?

Alright... then the 2nd step is how people look at it.

As Cookie Revised stated, why use something like this if you have to manually check, some people who think like this don't bother with the program as simple as that.

But as Jiggs stated, some people do not really care whether the open notifier is reliable 100% of the time, because at CERTAIN times, it's BLATANTLY obvious a User has opened/closed a window with you. These type of people are just requesting if someone can help give them a script/plug-in to full fill this desire.

I hope I'm not stepping on some toes here, because the arguement is pretty clear
But in the end it boils down to people's preference. I dont think it should be right to take it away from people who are AWARE of the conditions invovled in using such a plug-in.

So without further questioning, is anyone willing to make an open/close notifier?

Thanks. I hope I'm not gonna start another 10 pages of flame war, just trying to be real here.
06-26-2006 11:06 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by jin11
But in the end it boils down to people's preference. I dont think it should be right to take it away from people who are AWARE of the conditions invovled in using such a plug-in.
I absolutely agree with this.... though there are very many people who aren't aware or don't know the conditions involved.. unfortunatly (eg: see block checkers, same story, and same heavy discussions)...

quote:
Originally posted by jin11
So without further questioning, is anyone willing to make an open/close notifier?
You might actually be interested in some of my previous posts or links (from back in the time the notifiers did worked)....
They aren't scripts, but you can't make this properly with a script anyways.

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 11:21 PM by CookieRevised.
06-26-2006 11:10 PM
Jiggs

38 / Male / –
EDIT: i made mistakes. horrible mistakes!!!!!!

This post was edited on 06-26-2006 at 11:22 PM by Jiggs.
06-26-2006 11:10 PM
Pages: (26): « First « 3 4 5 6 [ 7 ] 8 9 10 11 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: