What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [Beta] Session Open Notifier for WLM (Formally known as Window Open Notifier)

Pages: (9): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
4 votes - 3 average   [Beta] Session Open Notifier for WLM (Formally known as Window Open Notifier)
Author: Message:
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
RE: [Beta] Session Open Notifier for WLM (Formally known as Window Open Notifier)
It's good... hardly accurate at all :p... but I always did like the satisfaction of seeing people open my chat window :p
07-27-2006 12:07 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
-Buffy

RE: [Beta] Session Open Notifier for WLM (Formally known as Window Open Notifier)
maybe i risk that you guys get mad or think i am stupid.
maybe because i am not english speaking but i did not fully understand the difference between conversation and session notfier. also what the difference is to the one of the last version (the plugin).

please help me out here, and don't get mad

i hope you know how thankful we not skilled girls are that there are freaks like you making those scirpts!!
07-28-2006 03:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
fallenangelic

it doesnt work
im  on a wired connection
what shall i do?

i dont understand this

f you have more than one network adapter installed and in use, I would be interested to know if anything or not happens on your machine. With two or more NIC's, this beta will only watch one of your IP's - the first adapter it finds. In the final version it will be capable of watching all, so don't panic.. Again, it just means you wont be able to use this at the moment.

This post was edited on 07-28-2006 at 05:12 PM by fallenangelic.
07-28-2006 03:19 PM
nx01rules

Infinite Diversity

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: [Beta] Session Open Notifier for WLM (Formally known as Window Open Notifier)
quote:
Originally posted by -Buffy
maybe because i am not english speaking but i did not fully understand the difference between conversation and session notfier. also what the difference is to the one of the last version (the plugin).

There is no difference - it just has a different name - it was renamed to stop the people who didn't know how it worked from asking for help, even when it was explained correctly to them dozens of times. It functions as a window open notifier, but it also functions to let you know when the other person's msn connects to yours to download your display picture or something like that. Just like the old stuffplug one did.

quote:
i hope you know how thankful we not skilled girls are that there are freaks like you making those scirpts!!

..?

quote:
Originally posted by fallenangelic
it doesnt work
im not on a wired connection
what shall i do?

i dont understand this

f you have more than one network adapter installed and in use, I would be interested to know if anything or not happens on your machine. With two or more NIC's, this beta will only watch one of your IP's - the first adapter it finds. In the final version it will be capable of watching all, so don't panic.. Again, it just means you wont be able to use this at the moment.

Read what I wrote at the end of that paragraph:
Again, it just means you wont be able to use this at the moment.

- You will have to wait for the next version - a BETA version is just a test release, if it doesn't work - just keep watching this thread and wait for a new release :)
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth
07-28-2006 03:24 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
-Buffy

RE: RE: RE: [Beta] Session Open Notifier for WLM (Formally known as Window Open Notif
quote:
Originally posted by nx01rules

quote:

..?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! WORKING NICE

AND ALSO THANKS FOR THE EXPLANATION!
07-28-2006 05:13 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: [Beta] Session Open Notifier for WLM (Formally known as Window Open Notif
quote:
Originally posted by nx01rules
quote:

There is no difference - it just has a different name - it was renamed to stop the people who didn't know how it worked from asking for help, even when it was explained correctly to them dozens of times. It functions as a window open notifier, but it also functions to let you know when the other person's msn connects to yours to download your display picture or something like that. Just like the old stuffplug one did.
I'm sorry but that is not correct and totally misleads the user (and exactly the thing I warned and whined about previously).

---

Buffy, there IS a big difference between a window notifier and a session notifier.

Some years ago a window notifier could tell you when someone opened or closed a conversation window with you. However, this no longer works reliable at all since Microsoft changed some stuff in the underlying protocol which those plugins/addons used to detect the opening and closing.

Therefore they no longer function properly as only a window notifier. What they effectivly do is notifying the user when a session is openend or closed.

A session is a connection between you and a contact. And it is created not only when a conversation window is opened, but also when your contact views your contact card, display picture, etc. (it used to be only when a conversation window was opened). And there is no possebility to see what exactly has triggered the session.

Hence such tools do not work anymore as pure window notifiers and therefore shouldn't be called like that either.

---

Note: in the future such tools will become even more unreliable as they already are as a window notifier as there will probably be more and more Messenger related features needing to open sessions.

Note: some people will claim it works "accuratly" as a window notifier for them and that they can guess when a notification is triggered by opening a conversation window or not. However that is seriously biased and in no way a general thumb of rule. The protocol works the same for everybody and that means such tools are not reliable as a window notifier anymore since a long time

see "The open/closed window notifier feature".

----

quote:
Originally posted by lysp
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And there is no possebility to see what exactly has triggered the session.
There is definately a possibility. The first (or maybe later) message through the session will be the "user is typing" control message. Or it may be the control message for "send display pic". Or it may have nothing if the user opened the window and did nothing.
Yes, that might be possible, but this is the only time you would almost be certain the notification came from a opened window. All other times you are not certain at all. Also as you pointed out yourself, a contact can perfectly open a window without even typing something. Again making this not a reliable method to destinguish between notifications as you have no way to always say for certain if a notification was triggered by a window or not.

Note that all this has been discussed before and no matter what people try, say, claim or do, the protocol is what it is and works how it works. Understand that I do not tells opinions, but facts. No matter what you believe or want, those are facts (which can be arithmetically and statistically prooven also that is is not reliable) and should be accepted as facts.

People have been trying for years to come up with "solutions" and nothing have worked at all as there are reasons for that...

2nd: please do not double post (this has been said more than a single time too)

This post was edited on 07-29-2006 at 04:43 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-29-2006 09:57 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Keikonium

35 / Male / Flag
This just stopped working for me about a day ago ^o). It was working fine until I received some Visual Studio error pop up. I know it wasn't caused by the script, cause ever since I installed a *cough*cracked*cough* version of VS, I have gotten this damn error. Serves me right blah blah blah :P.

But any ideas why this may have stopped working? *tries a reinstall*

EDIT:

Just to be clear, it stopped before I got any VS errors :P.

This post was edited on 07-29-2006 at 11:18 AM by Keikonium.
Now Playing:
[image not working] [Image: 87cc21b0.png]
07-29-2006 11:17 AM
AmbulanceX

[ rip the jacker ]

34 / Male / –
working perfectly so far, its not msn peak time or anything but so far all has been true. thanks for making the script man, youve done a great job, finial release will be even better, will you include options to turn on and off the different features?
Bulimic rainbows vomit what?, Burn Piano Island Burn!
07-29-2006 12:10 PM
lysp

Well done mate. I'm glad you got it to a working state regardless of all the negative feedback you were getting from a select few.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

A session is a connection between you and a contact. And it is created not only when a conversation window is opened, but also when your contact views your contact card, display picture, etc. (it used to be only when a conversation window was opened). And there is no possebility to see what exactly has triggered the session.

There is definately a possibility. The first (or maybe later) message through the session will be the "user is typing" control message. Or it may be the control message for "send display pic". Or it may have nothing if the user opened the window and did nothing.
07-29-2006 12:22 PM
AmbulanceX

[ rip the jacker ]

34 / Male / –
one more thing, i get opened convo messages from contact sim alreayd talking to, im assuming this is because if after 60 seconds has gone past without any talk then it triggers again when viewed?

would there be a way to many it only show notifications when you dont already have a convo opened with the contact?

good job still, working perfect.
Bulimic rainbows vomit what?, Burn Piano Island Burn!
07-29-2006 12:48 PM
Pages: (9): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: